• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,000 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 23 January 2013 - 15:35

For mileage like that if opt for diesel.

#17 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 15:56

Since 2006 diesel in most countries has been replaced by ULSD, which is cleaner, but not as good for fuel economy as the older diesel fuel. I think if you ran a comparison now between a diesel and a gas engine in the same car, you'd find the costs comparable. In the US ULSD made diesel engines practically non-existent, the price is higher than gas and the distribution is terrible.

#18 BGM

BGM

Wibble Wobble™

• 6,002 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 20:26

Do you think you will run out of fuel on your journey?

If yes, diesel will be a PITA

Do you think your battery will die at any point ?

If yes, diesel will be a PITA, although not impossible to bump it doesn't do the engine any favours

if you're not going for speed, diesel is the way to go.
just in case, don't forget to carry backup fuels.

err, why in the hell would he run out of fuel lol

#19 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 20:46

err, why in the hell would he run out of fuel lol

He said he was going to be driving mostly highways and around 90km a day, people who only drive to the store and back run out of fuel!

#20 Breach

Breach

Neowinian

• 856 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 20:49

90km daily? Diesel, hands down. It's cheaper, far better mileage at highway speeds and since the introduction of DPF and EU regulations it's definitely come a long way. Also, you'll enjoy the torque ;-)

#21 BGM

BGM

Wibble Wobble™

• 6,002 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 20:49

He said he was going to be driving mostly highways and around 90km a day, people who only drive to the store and back run out of fuel!

mm.. tbh only idiots run out of fuel ;)

worrying about if you run out of fuel is probably not the largest concern as to which fuel you are looking at, just seemed such a strange thing to cite as a reason. :)

#22 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,664 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 24 January 2013 - 20:50

Apparently you've never noticed those big tractor-trailer trucks going down the highway.

The stink and smoke takes my breath away !

And please don't tell me this is 'rare' -- I see and smell trucks like this every week.

There's obviously something wrong with that truck. Gasoline engines pollute a lot when they're not running properly also.
I've owned diesel pickup trucks, ran different types of machinery and grew up around logging trucks, and I've never seen any real pollution come out of em.

I don't know where the hell you live, but it ain't like that where I live.
And diesel doesn't smell bad when running properly either. I'd take the smell of diesel over propane powered vehicles any day.

#23 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 20:53

mm.. tbh only idiots run out of fuel ;)

worrying about if you run out of fuel is probably not the largest concern as to which fuel you are looking at, just seemed such a strange thing to cite as a reason. :)

I only suggested it because Diesel engines can't just be fed new fuel and started again (Not the last time I checked anyway) they needed bleeding to get the air out of the lines etc before they would start again, which although I know about that, would not really know where to start to actually do that

Petrols are happy to just be turned over a few times until they receive fuel again :)

#24 Breach

Breach

Neowinian

• 856 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 21:00

I only suggested it because Diesel engines can't just be fed new fuel and started again (Not the last time I checked anyway) they needed bleeding to get the air out of the lines etc before they would start again, which although I know about that, would not really know where to start to actually do that

Petrols are happy to just be turned over a few times until they receive fuel again :)

New common rail diesel engines have a pump to bleed out any air which might get sucked in - and yes, the procedure does involve ignition on/off a few times with waiting in between. At least that's the case on my BMW, though admittedly I've never been close to running out of fuel ;-)

#25 BGM

BGM

Wibble Wobble™

• 6,002 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 21:05

yeah was going to say, same my bimmer too... i've had that down to 0 miles a few times! :D

#26 Biohead

Biohead

Neowinian

• 655 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 24 January 2013 - 21:07

Breach has already mentioned it... but one key word on modern diesels - DPF. Removes just about all the soot from the exhaust - so no black smoke. And he's also mentioned that about the priming pump too. Easy enough to do at the roadside (same case on my 8 year old Citroen!).

In Europe, diesel engines are extremely refined and quiet. A modern 2.0L engine will develop around 150-160bhp easily (probably more) with a huge amount of torque to back it up. That combination makes for a brilliant motorway drive.

#27 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,887 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 21:28

That was a little unfair Hum, you're talking about a huge engine workhorse, diesel cars have miniscule engines compared to semis, artics, tractor trailers, and if well maintained, they can be clean, no engine is perfectly clean, and I do agree with you that diesel is a dirty fuel.
Many decades ago, there used to be petrol, or gas engined artics, used to go through gallons of fuel per mile.
I'm not trying to change your mind, and to be honest, My post wasn't supposed to defend diesels as much as it has, but any engine, as long as it's well maintained pollutes less.

I understand a car may pollute less -- just that those big trucks make me think strongly of bad air. ;)

#28 Breach

Breach

Neowinian

• 856 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 21:30

The only problem with the DPF is that you need to drive your car regularly at high speeds for some distance so that the DPF gets hot enough to burn all the soot inside. Few if any dealers actually tell you that and there are ton of clueless diesel car drivers who wonder what's wrong with their car when they've been doing 2 km home<>office drives for the last 6 months. I also think the DPF has to be replaced eventually (read - years) and it costs something in the 500-1000 EUR range (guesstimate - depending on brand and model).

Not a problem for the OP though.

#29 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,708 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 24 January 2013 - 22:16

Diesel "pollutes" less, insofar as gases and environmental stuff. BUT. they do pollute more as far as particles go. in some cities in Norway they have had periods where only half the diesel owners will be allowed each die when there's high particle density(actually both diesels and cars with studded tires). The problem is a lot less now though and there has not been any such situations this year.

But I'd go diesel, cheaper, lasts longer, and more fun to drive, especially turbo diesel.

#30 OP pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

• 881 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 23:34

Everyone goes with diesel huh...