Fedora 18 Finally Released

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#31 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 16 January 2013 - 23:57

havent found out yet how to make a simple launcher/link to jdownloader .... anyone?

I've never used JDownloader before, but you can create a launcher for any application on your system by placing a .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications. For example, you might create a file named ~/.local/share/applications/jdownloader.desktop that contains the following:

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Exec=/usr/bin/java -jar /home/xorangekiller/.jd/JDownloader.jar
Categories=Network;
Name=JDownloader
Comment=JDownloader is a free, open-source download management tool.
Icon=/home/xorangekiller/.jd/jd/img/logo/jd_logo_128_128.png

#32 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 January 2013 - 00:05

Linux still looks hideous regardless of the desktop manager. Fonts are fugly, icons are fugly, spacing and aesthetics (what's that???) are non-existent. Maybe by v180.0 they'll improve on that front...

First of all "linux" is just a kernel.

Anyway, this notion is very wrong and your post is essentially flame bait. Just look at the most popular distro (ubuntu) which has excellent font rendering out of the box (and fedora can have good rendering with the infinality freetype packages). And there are plenty of good themes/icons available. Here's my current f18 desktop:

2013-01-16-190414_1366x768_scrot.png

#33 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 17 January 2013 - 00:06

I would recommend replacing GNOME 3 (default) with LXDE, XCFE, KDE, or other window manager after/during installation.

GNOME 3 (not Fedora) being slow and a resource hog is not Fedora's fault.

I would especially recommend LXDE. It reminds me of the first releases of KDE and GNOME - simplistic, fast and very efficient on resources. The default Fedora LXDE configuration needs a lot of tweaking to make it look nice. Last time I tried it, the task bar was black like Vista's - eww.

#34 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 17 January 2013 - 00:39

Was kde shutdown? Just clicked the screenshot on the main site and it still looks like an outdated windows. Gnome seems to be overboard and KDE seems to be old and poor looking. They should make a WM in between, like UbuntuOSX lol

Anyway, this notion is very wrong and your post is essentially flame bait. Just look at the most popular distro (ubuntu) which has excellent font rendering out of the box (and fedora can have good rendering with the infinality freetype packages). And there are plenty of good themes/icons available. Here's my current f18 desktop:

that SS didn't help your case

#35 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2013 - 00:47

Was kde shutdown? Just clicked the screenshot on the main site and it still looks like an outdated windows. Gnome seems to be overboard and KDE seems to be old and poor looking. They should make a WM in between, like UbuntuOSX lol

that SS didn't help your case

There are plenty that would disagree. That screenshot shows high quality icons and good font rendering. And I fail to see how gnome is "overboard", its a fairly minimalistic DE visually, much more so than KDE.

And what you are looking for already exists, its called pantheon: http://elementaryos....beta-1-released

#36 Ph1b3r0pt1c

Ph1b3r0pt1c

Neowinian

Posted 17 January 2013 - 00:51

snip

What terminal font is that? Terminus? or Inconsolata?

#37 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 January 2013 - 00:51

I haven't tried it yet (I will) but I gotta say I love the name Spherical Cow.

#38 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:38

What terminal font is that? Terminus? or Inconsolata?

liberation mono

#39 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:51

Theme looks like a bad XP skin

#40 Ph1b3r0pt1c

Ph1b3r0pt1c

Neowinian

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:42

Theme looks like a bad XP skin

That looks nothing like a bad "XP skin"
And it looks a ton better than windows 8 does.

#41 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:55

I like it, that looks very smart and professional, I could live with a desktop like that, my grumble with Fedora is it seems to take a lot of effort to achieve the same things that are moderately easy to do in other distros

I know its all a learning thing, once you learn its easy enough, but not having options on right click such as 'Root menu' to open nautilus as root etc got on my nerves fairly quickly

#42 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:07

Downloading it now. Been running Ubuntu for a while now and I'll have to say that on a decent PC with a big screen, I've learned to like Unity. It took some getting used to not having my Gnome 2 panels and stuff, but after using it a bit I'm learning to appreciate the aesthetics and the extra screen space.

I'll throw this in a VM just to play around with it, I used Fedora years and years ago back when it was still called "Fedora Core", but got discouraged with some quirky bugs that existed at the time.

#43 rkenshin

rkenshin

Fists of Steel!

• OS: Windows 8 Pro, Mac OS 10.8, (VM's): Ubuntu 12.10, Fedora 17, Backtrack 5, Linux Mint, OpenSUSE

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:40

Can't seem to get the F18 Live CD to load properly in VMWare, reaches a blue wallpaper and never reaches the desktop

I had this same problem. Found out its caused by 3D Acceleration in VMWare. Disable 3D Acceleration for the VM and it will boot properly.

Sexy! Details? :D

#44 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:44

Gnome Users
http://gnome-look.org/

KDE Users
http://kde-look.org/

XFCE Users
http://xfce-look.org/

And most distros have several packages of optional fonts, icons and such in their package managers.

#45 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:32

I had this same problem. Found out its caused by 3D Acceleration in VMWare. Disable 3D Acceleration for the VM and it will boot properly.

default gtk theme, faience icons, tyr gnome-shell theme, droid sans font (liberation sans for mono), infinality freetype packages set to emulate ubuntu font rendering