• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:32

Sorry i only just saw this...

I actually normal have this installed to remove all the crap, instant 720p, bigger video and pause the video until im ready to watch it, i admit i like this extension just have not got around to installing it im also in two mids on re-installing everything computer is feeling sluggish so might wait for abit but yes it is a good extension!

As for downloading, my download folder has enough rubbish lol i dont want to download something im probably only going to watch once. :/

It's a great addon indeed :)

Might be worth testing with it to see if it improves the situation prior to trying my download idea :p

Also, you could try turning on the HTML beta in YouTube, that might help out :o

#32 OP Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:52

It's a great addon indeed :)

Might be worth testing with it to see if it improves the situation prior to trying my download idea :p

Also, you could try turning on the HTML beta in YouTube, that might help out :o

Yes Guth has suggested the HTML5 beta, dont think the addon will help with the stutter buffering and re buffering though. But thanks for the reminder of the extension.

#33 ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:24

I've had the buffering issue with a 10 and 30Mb Virgin connection. They apparently have some sort of cache just for YouTube which seems to be doing the opposite of what its intended to do. TBH though it's been a lot better since late December for me.

http://community.vir...556642#U1556642

http://www.theregist...buffering_woes/

#34 OP Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

Posted 18 January 2013 - 14:15

I've had the buffering issue with a 10 and 30Mb Virgin connection. They apparently have some sort of cache just for YouTube which seems to be doing the opposite of what its intended to do. TBH though it's been a lot better since late December for me.

http://www.theregist...buffering_woes/

thanks for that, will admit on my media streamer i have had issues with bbci player but i thought that they might be software related. Videos would start playing then either stop and restart or just stop completely and then id have to attept to find where it stopped (it wouldnt remember like it normally does.)

#35 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 17:48

I would be curious on how they are pointing their users to the cache? Do they have you use a proxy? is there a transparent proxy you go through? Is it via dns queries?

Not sure what they expect to accomplish with such a thing other than more work on their end to save what some extra traffic off their network? I would hope that using https, different dns then isps should be able to bypass their cache box. Or try a vpn.

If isp is doing this - might be time to find a new ISP ;)

I have never had any issues with buffering to any youtube video, that was not explained by issues on my local machine or network. For example if I fill up my pipe doing other things then yeah youtube can be a bit slow..

#36 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 18 January 2013 - 17:54

#37 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 January 2013 - 17:54

Might not be your ISP. Google is weird with YouTube's optimization.
Still have this happen to me, even after switching ISP: http://www.neowin.ne...riminating-360p (please don't bump the thread)

#38 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 18 January 2013 - 18:11

I would be curious on how they are pointing their users to the cache? Do they have you use a proxy? is there a transparent proxy you go through? Is it via dns queries?

Not sure what they expect to accomplish with such a thing other than more work on their end to save what some extra traffic off their network? I would hope that using https, different dns then isps should be able to bypass their cache box. Or try a vpn.

If isp is doing this - might be time to find a new ISP ;)

I have never had any issues with buffering to any youtube video, that was not explained by issues on my local machine or network. For example if I fill up my pipe doing other things then yeah youtube can be a bit slow..

Budman, they are using something like a CDN to pull this off, only it's the ISP's CDN and not a normal CDN from the likes of Edgecast, Akamai, Cloudflare, etc...

#39 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 18:47

And how do they point user to this ISP CDN vs the one that youtube uses?

Are they changing dns? Forcing uses through a proxy? Pointing users to a proxy that says oh you want youtube - Im going to connect you to my copy vs the actual copy.

All is BS that the ISP has no business doing - the ISP is there to provide me a connection to the "PUBLIC" internet, not cache info off the public internet and give me that info vs the actual data and location the hoster of said data put it, etc.

If youtube video X is housed on akamai - then I should be connecting to akamai when I want to access said video, not some ISP copy of it.

Did the user opt into this solution? If not then they sure and the hell should not be doing it, or atleast have a way for the user to opt out of such nonsense. if not then find a ISP that provides what they they should be providing -- and thats a "connection" to the public internet, nothing more. I don't want you filtering any of my traffic, I don't want you tinkering with any of the protocols, I don't want you pointing me to your copy of anything when I request a connection to domain XYZ.

#40 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 18:56

And how do they point user to this ISP CDN vs the one that youtube uses?

Youtube has an invisible mirror system and they use GEOIP location to determine the ISP cache store to direct the user to. If you are using ISP1 in columbus,oh you get the ISP1.columbus.youtubestreampathurl.com stream, . If you are using ISP1 in chicago,IL you get the ISP1.chicago.youtubestreampathurl.com stream. I think youtube does this with most of the major ISPs. If you are connected with a smaller one or using another DNS then you might get a direct one or one through a normal CDN.

Google is providing a distributed cache for their content. This available to larger ISPs and allows them to serve Google content directly at the edge of their networks, thus reducing traffic on the ISP's backbone network

#41 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

Posted 18 January 2013 - 19:01

Youtube has an invisible mirror system and they use GEOIP location to determine the ISP cache store to direct the user to. If you are using ISP1 in columbus,oh you get the ISP1.columbus.youtubestreampathurl.com stream, . If you are using ISP1 in chicago,IL you get the ISP1.chicago.youtubestreampathurl.com stream. I think youtube does this with most of the major ISPs. If you are connected with a smaller one or using another DNS then you might get a direct one or one through a normal CDN.

So if someone were to use an alternate DNS server, that would help em out?
I'm not having any probs, but just curious.

#42 OP Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

Posted 18 January 2013 - 19:03

I believe virgin use a transparent proxys Budman, well i know they use to but dont know it this has changed.

As for changing ISP's, Virgin are the fastest with there fiberoptic cabling offering speeds of upto 120mb all the others are still around the 24mb mark i believe but i could be wrong i dont check them out nor watch the tv its rather ****.

#43 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 19:05

So if someone were to use an alternate DNS server, that would help em out?
I'm not having any probs, but just curious.

possibly... I haven't tried it for myself yet.....

#44 ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 18 January 2013 - 19:15

I believe virgin use a transparent proxys Budman, well i know they use to but dont know it this has changed.

As for changing ISP's, Virgin are the fastest with there fiberoptic cabling offering speeds of upto 120mb all the others are still around the 24mb mark i believe but i could be wrong i dont check them out nor watch the tv its rather ****.

BT Infinity is now up 160mb - It's great

#45 OP Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

Posted 18 January 2013 - 19:48

BT Infinity is now up 160mb - It's great

Nice i didnt know others had got that high yet well unless it was a business line or something, thanks for the heads up Ash!