Youtube and Video buffering

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46 ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 18 January 2013 - 20:23

Truly unlimited downloads too I believe, and don't cap your speeds (only on p2p)

#47 OP Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

Posted 18 January 2013 - 20:51

I mostly download at night when im not around anyway, during the day its just tv streaming shows i enjoy to watch as i refuse to pay a monthly fee for mostly repeats (tv license) but thanks ash does soundbetter than it use to be!

#48 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 92
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 21:04

Well I would assume that how they point you to a specific cache would be via dns based up geoip info of where your dns query came from, or a database that says hey isp X ip range uses the cache with gave them.

So if you used a different dns that was off your isp nework, then you shouldn't get pointed to that ISP cache. I would suggest you use a dns in your region of the world other than your ISP and see if that corrects the buffering issue. I doubt an ISP would share their cache with non isp users, so if your dns query from some other IP in the area should point you to whatever other youtube CDN in the region would be used.

If they are going about it some other way, like website itself is pointing you to the isp cache because your IP is in the the isp netblock - then use of a vpn or proxy would be another way to not use your isp cache.. If in fact that is what is causing the issue..

You should be able to check to see where you pulling the content from - it would end up being something.c.youtube.com would it not -- where the something should give you some idea of what CDN your hitting. Being it a akamai one or one housed by your isp because they made a deal with youtube.

I would also suggest that any video your having an issue with that your right click on it and report problem. What does the speedtest and video info you show for these videos? Again available from right click on the video.

And exact example video your having issues along with your speed info from rightclicking would help other users here on neowin be able to report if they are showing issues with that video with their isp or their region of the world, etc.

#49 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 18 January 2013 - 21:36

I haven't read anything but the first few posts but fully downloading a clip, then clicking half-way through will cause a re-buffer. It's by design. I don't know why.