united kingdom dna tesco no risk to public

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,585 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 16:16

Get a grip people - Cellulose, whatever the source, is used in cooking every day; flour (rice, wheat, cassava, corn etc.) and corn starch. Other thickeners as well; arrowroot etc. The list is very, very long. In many foods it's used to lower the fat content because it mimics fats effect on texture without the downsides of fats, a good thing.

Cellulose is a polysaccharide - a sugar based polymer - that makes up ~34% of all plant matter including every veggie you eat. Wood pulp is just a more efficient source being 40-50% cellulose and having less moisture. By the time it's been wet, run between beaters to loosen the fibers, dried and ground up it's not that different than cellulose from other plant sources.

#17 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,546 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 16:21

I think the issue isn't so much that it was there, but 1) the burgers are supposed to be just beef and are advertised as such, so it's misleading--some people might buy horseburgers if they were sold as such--and 2) nobody seems to know how it got there, which raises questions like 'wtf is going on in that place' and 'what else has gone into these burgers that they don't know about?' :s

#18 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• 7,374 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 17 January 2013 - 16:31

Just checked the burgers in my fridge, aaaaaaand they're off.

#19 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,585 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 16:36

A plausible scenario for how the horse or pig got there is easy;

horse meat is commonly eaten in Europe, in fact much of the world outside the US, and of course so is pork. If the meat grinders were not thoroughly cleaned between batches the residual meats would enter subsequent batches in trace amounts that would decrease over time

Not that mixing meats is unusual in normal foods; meat loaf is often a mix of beef and pork, and hot dogs or other sausages can use both plus chicken or turkey meat. <shrug>

And for ghe record, horse meat is very tasty - and lean.

#20 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,997 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 17 January 2013 - 16:41

A plausible scenario for how the horse or pig got there is easy;

horse meat is commonly eaten in Europe, in fact much of the world outside the US, and of course so is pork. If the meat grinders were not thoroughly cleaned between batches the residual meats would enter subsequent batches in trace amounts that would decrease over time

Not that mixing meats is unusual in normal foods; meat loaf is often a mix of beef and pork, and hot dogs or other sausages can use both plus chicken or turkey meat. <shrug>

And for ghe record, horse meat is very tasty - and lean.

It's not commonly eaten in the UK either, people seem to be too in love with Horses as an animal. The only problem I see with these burgers is that Horsemeat isn't listed on the ingredients, I think instead of recalling all the burgers, they should simply repackage them with updated ingredients listed on the back.

People bitching about eating horse need to stop whining.

#21 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,546 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 16:50

It's not commonly eaten in the UK either, people seem to be too in love with Horses as an animal. The only problem I see with these burgers is that Horsemeat isn't listed on the ingredients, I think instead of recalling all the burgers, they should simply repackage them with updated ingredients listed on the back.

People bitching about eating horse need to stop whining.

Yeah, that was my point. It's more about the lack of transparency.

Doc, I see what you're saying, but 29% isn't "trace amounts" lol. Annnnnndd I don't think horse is commonly eaten in the UK. I've never seen it served anywhere. (Black pudding and stuffed sheep entrails, sure :D )

#22 Tuishimi

Tuishimi

Michinator

• 843 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 16:53

What's wrong with a little pork in a hamburger?? I make interesting burgers with mixed meats sometimes. And I hear horse actually taste pretty good. I am not sure, but I think it isn't even as gamy as deer.

#23 leesmithg

leesmithg

The Major!

• 9,473 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 16:55

if i cared about what was in it, i wouldnt buy 8 burger meats for a £1 !!
plus whats wrong with horsemeat?
seeing as how i have to pay for for deer, id imagine we just got more expensive meet for the price of beef!!
moooooooooooo

The problem is with selling horse meat, is, you have to display a horses head above or maybe slightly to the side of the shop entrance or

it is illegal.

I found it funny though, on the news a Muslim girl was complaining that she now does not trust the burgers she allegedly buys from the supermarket contail pig

and that ruins her beliefs.

That was funny as firstly she would buy halaal and secondly from a halaal establishment.

She would not buy super saver 8 for a £1 burgers.

#24 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,714 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 17:26

I have great respect for horses as a noble animal.

I do not want to eat them, given a choice.

And pig meat tends to make me sick -- I avoid it like the black plague. :|

#25 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,997 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 17:29

Which is fair enough, you have your reasons not to want to eat it. Would you condemn others who do eat it though?

#26 PsYcHoKiLLa

PsYcHoKiLLa

Views expressed are not necessarily those of the management

• 1,295 posts
  • Phone: LG Nexus 4

Posted 17 January 2013 - 17:40

That's a bit daft, cows, chickens, deer, pigs, all animals we regularly eat are sentient beings, so what makes dogs or horses any different. Cause you can sit on their back?

Oh yeah and this...

Posted Image

#27 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,997 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 17:45

That's a bit daft, cows, chickens, deer, pigs, all animals we regularly eat are sentient beings, so what makes dogs or horses any different. Cause you can sit on their back?

Oh yeah and this...

Many people (myself included) aren't comfortable eating animals you'd consider a pet. I for one wouldn't eat Cat or Dog.

#28 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,546 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 18:00

Which is fair enough, you have your reasons not to want to eat it. Would you condemn others who do eat it though?

No, but it should be clearly labelled so people can make educated decisions.

#29 CJ33

CJ33

Neowinian

• 556 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 18:16

The problem is with selling horse meat, is, you have to display a horses head above or maybe slightly to the side of the shop entrance or

it is illegal.

I found it funny though, on the news a Muslim girl was complaining that she now does not trust the burgers she allegedly buys from the supermarket contail pig

and that ruins her beliefs.

That was funny as firstly she would buy halaal and secondly from a halaal establishment.

She would not buy super saver 8 for a £1 burgers.

that is hillarious. but in all honesty, the girl probably was arab. Theres a lot of arabs out there that bypass the whole halal thing. dont mean to be disrespectful, but from my experience, thats just what ive noticed.

#30 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,714 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 18:20

Others can eat whatever turns them on -- just leave my pets alone, and don't invite me to dinner. ;)