Horsemeat, pig found in UK burgers

I have great respect for horses as a noble animal.

I do not want to eat them, given a choice.

And pig meat tends to make me sick -- I avoid it like the black plague. :|

That's a bit daft, cows, chickens, deer, pigs, all animals we regularly eat are sentient beings, so what makes dogs or horses any different. Cause you can sit on their back?

Oh yeah and this...

keyps2.jpg

That's a bit daft, cows, chickens, deer, pigs, all animals we regularly eat are sentient beings, so what makes dogs or horses any different. Cause you can sit on their back?

Oh yeah and this...

Many people (myself included) aren't comfortable eating animals you'd consider a pet. I for one wouldn't eat Cat or Dog.

Which is fair enough, you have your reasons not to want to eat it. Would you condemn others who do eat it though?

No, but it should be clearly labelled so people can make educated decisions.

The problem is with selling horse meat, is, you have to display a horses head above or maybe slightly to the side of the shop entrance or

it is illegal.

I found it funny though, on the news a Muslim girl was complaining that she now does not trust the burgers she allegedly buys from the supermarket contail pig

and that ruins her beliefs.

That was funny as firstly she would buy halaal and secondly from a halaal establishment.

She would not buy super saver 8 for a ?1 burgers.

that is hillarious. but in all honesty, the girl probably was arab. Theres a lot of arabs out there that bypass the whole halal thing. dont mean to be disrespectful, but from my experience, thats just what ive noticed.

Which is fair enough, you have your reasons not to want to eat it. Would you condemn others who do eat it though?

Others can eat whatever turns them on -- just leave my pets alone, and don't invite me to dinner. ;)

FTR: over 100,000 US horses/year are shipped to just the EU for butchering, mostly to Italy (a top 5 consumer), France and Belgium. Outside the EU Russia is also a big consumer as are Mexico, China, Argentina, Brazil and some ex-Soviet republics. The top 8 consumers alone account for almost 8 million horses.

Sales & processing are sometimes two entirely different things in agricultural regulations. I would be very interested if this factory processed meats not for sale in the UK or Ireland but for other points in & around Europe.

My concern is not that horse meat is present in burgers - as it's perfectly safe to eat - but about the accountability of the supply chain. The idea that a product could secretly contain nearly one-third horse meat is scandalous and illegal (as it's not listed as an ingredient). If it's not meant to be in there in the first place then it's entirely possible it's not actually safe for human consumption; if it's getting in their accidentally then clearly machinery is not being properly cleaned. The big difference between the US and the EU though is that this behaviour is illegal, whereas pink slime, growth hormones, antibiotics and genetically modified crops are considered perfectly acceptable in the US and are hidden from consumers.

This is a massive failure by regulators and action needs to be taken. The businesses responsible should be fined and criminal charges filed where appropriate, while those responsible for regulating meat need to be held responsible (fired, stripped of their salary if possible). If new laws are needed then that should be addressed promptly. People have a right to know what they're eating.

PS - It's really no surprise that the one retailer with the 29% horse meat burgers would be Tesco and I've long avoided shopping there.

My concern is not that horse meat is present in burgers - as it's perfectly safe to eat - but about the accountability of the supply chain. The idea that a product could secretly contain nearly one-third horse meat is scandalous and illegal (as it's not listed as an ingredient). If it's not meant to be in there in the first place then it's entirely possible it's not actually safe for human consumption; if it's getting in their accidentally then clearly machinery is not being properly cleaned. The big difference between the US and the EU though is that this behaviour is illegal, whereas pink slime, growth hormones, antibiotics and genetically modified crops are considered perfectly acceptable in the US and are hidden from consumers.

This is a massive failure by regulators and action needs to be taken. The businesses responsible should be fined and criminal charges filed where appropriate, while those responsible for regulating meat need to be held responsible (fired, stripped of their salary if possible). If new laws are needed then that should be addressed promptly. People have a right to know what they're eating.

PS - It's really no surprise that the one retailer with the 29% horse meat burgers would be Tesco and I've long avoided shopping there.

And can't post without pointing fingers at the U.S..

What's wrong with a little pork in a hamburger?? I make interesting burgers with mixed meats sometimes.

You need to live in UK to understand the arabic bitching. However, the scandal isn't over pork, but for horsemeat. But since it's the UK, where islam is a huge force, unlike the US... they obviously raise concern over how abused they are once again. Just over-dramatization. Typical behaviour of "they are out to get us", as is here: (funny vid if someone translates, the guy wants to die for this thing, right there)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvP7fK8Lsa4

And can't post without pointing fingers at the U.S..

If France or Australia was doing the same thing then I'd have posted about them.

• Like 2

They issue brought up is the fact that it's not formally introduced as a ingredient. To be legitimate it this needs to be done. Otherwise it represents a major health concern. Fortunately I gave up eating fast food.

How come Hamburgers can't contain ham/pork? :shifty: :rofl:

Because the name has nothing to do with the ingredients, but where hamburger originates ...Hamburg Germany... :rofl:

• Like 2

How come Hamburgers can't contain ham/pork? :shifty: :rofl:

Your hamburger you make at home can include anything you want to include, including rattlesnake if you want. :D

How come no dog or cat burgers?

REMIXED CAT BURGERS! YUUUM!!! (now served at Red Robin)

just no.

Your hamburger you make at home can include anything you want to include, including rattlesnake if you want. :D

Fine by me - rattlesnake meat is good. Very tasty.

That said, when I grill burgers it's 90/10 lean beef with chopped Vidalia onions, a bit of garlic and Worcestershire sauce mixed in. Finish it off with some extra sharp cheddar and whatever dlse suites you.