united kingdom dna tesco no risk to public

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 19,015 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 18:22

FTR: over 100,000 US horses/year are shipped to just the EU for butchering, mostly to Italy (a top 5 consumer), France and Belgium. Outside the EU Russia is also a big consumer as are Mexico, China, Argentina, Brazil and some ex-Soviet republics. The top 8 consumers alone account for almost 8 million horses.

Sales & processing are sometimes two entirely different things in agricultural regulations. I would be very interested if this factory processed meats not for sale in the UK or Ireland but for other points in & around Europe.

#32 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 17 January 2013 - 21:44

How come no dog or cat burgers?

REMIXED CAT BURGERS! YUUUM!!! (now served at Red Robin)

#33 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,964 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 17 January 2013 - 22:05

My concern is not that horse meat is present in burgers - as it's perfectly safe to eat - but about the accountability of the supply chain. The idea that a product could secretly contain nearly one-third horse meat is scandalous and illegal (as it's not listed as an ingredient). If it's not meant to be in there in the first place then it's entirely possible it's not actually safe for human consumption; if it's getting in their accidentally then clearly machinery is not being properly cleaned. The big difference between the US and the EU though is that this behaviour is illegal, whereas pink slime, growth hormones, antibiotics and genetically modified crops are considered perfectly acceptable in the US and are hidden from consumers.

This is a massive failure by regulators and action needs to be taken. The businesses responsible should be fined and criminal charges filed where appropriate, while those responsible for regulating meat need to be held responsible (fired, stripped of their salary if possible). If new laws are needed then that should be addressed promptly. People have a right to know what they're eating.

PS - It's really no surprise that the one retailer with the 29% horse meat burgers would be Tesco and I've long avoided shopping there.

#34 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,307 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 22:12

My concern is not that horse meat is present in burgers - as it's perfectly safe to eat - but about the accountability of the supply chain. The idea that a product could secretly contain nearly one-third horse meat is scandalous and illegal (as it's not listed as an ingredient). If it's not meant to be in there in the first place then it's entirely possible it's not actually safe for human consumption; if it's getting in their accidentally then clearly machinery is not being properly cleaned. The big difference between the US and the EU though is that this behaviour is illegal, whereas pink slime, growth hormones, antibiotics and genetically modified crops are considered perfectly acceptable in the US and are hidden from consumers.

This is a massive failure by regulators and action needs to be taken. The businesses responsible should be fined and criminal charges filed where appropriate, while those responsible for regulating meat need to be held responsible (fired, stripped of their salary if possible). If new laws are needed then that should be addressed promptly. People have a right to know what they're eating.

PS - It's really no surprise that the one retailer with the 29% horse meat burgers would be Tesco and I've long avoided shopping there.

And can't post without pointing fingers at the U.S..

#35 SiCKX

SiCKX

Cannibal

• 1,314 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 22:31

What's wrong with a little pork in a hamburger?? I make interesting burgers with mixed meats sometimes.

You need to live in UK to understand the arabic bitching. However, the scandal isn't over pork, but for horsemeat. But since it's the UK, where islam is a huge force, unlike the US... they obviously raise concern over how abused they are once again. Just over-dramatization. Typical behaviour of "they are out to get us", as is here: (funny vid if someone translates, the guy wants to die for this thing, right there)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvP7fK8Lsa4

#36 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,964 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 17 January 2013 - 22:37

And can't post without pointing fingers at the U.S..

If France or Australia was doing the same thing then I'd have posted about them.

#37 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,307 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 22:48

If France or Australia was doing the same thing then I'd have posted about them.

Sure.

#38 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 17 January 2013 - 23:00

They issue brought up is the fact that it's not formally introduced as a ingredient. To be legitimate it this needs to be done. Otherwise it represents a major health concern. Fortunately I gave up eating fast food.

#39 +hedleigh

hedleigh

Neowinian

• 519 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 23:05

How come Hamburgers can't contain ham/pork? :shifty: :rofl:

#40 Tews

Tews

Professional Lurker

• 2,005 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 23:14

Because the name has nothing to do with the ingredients, but where hamburger originates ...Hamburg Germany... :rofl:

#41 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 00:33

Your hamburger you make at home can include anything you want to include, including rattlesnake if you want. :D

#42 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 3,513 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:35

this reminds me of Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal http://www.amazon.co.../dp/0547750331.

#43 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,506 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 23:03

Pigs & horses today -- how long till Soylent Green burgers ...

#44 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 00:58

Pigs & horses today -- how long till Soylent Green burgers ...

You might not want to know the answer to that.

#45 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,462 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:46

How come no dog or cat burgers?

REMIXED CAT BURGERS! YUUUM!!! (now served at Red Robin)

just no.