Acer Touch Monitor

I just bought the new Acer 23" IPS 10-point touch monitor from Best Buy. I must say it was quite a nice purchase. The edge to edge glass makes it look very slick and the display is nice and bright and colorful. The touch features are amazing and really complete the Windows 8 experience on the desktop. I find myself in Metro way more now using my fingers to navigate, pinch to zoom, etc. I spent about an hour playing Microsoft's Solitaire Collection with my finger only to get a feel for the ergonomics of reaching out your hand in front of you. It does fatigue the arm a little but not as much as you might think. I played the game and still went about playing with Metro for 2 hours and my arm did suffer any ill effects. This touch monitor in my opinion won't replace the mouse and keyboard on a desktop but the touch features compliment the whole experience very nicely. I can use my mouse for a bunch of tasks and then just touch the monitor and go to metro and use whatever metro app I wanted. It does seem that many apps are not touch ready and I hope they will be. I booted up Photoshop to see if I could pinch to zoom, but no go. Google Earth also has no touch support, although you can use it in a limited way with touch as a replacement for the mouse, but you can't pinch to zoom, rotate, or do the other things like you can on the tablet version. Hopefully Google will come out with a Metro version fully supporting Windows 8 gestures. Another cool thing, which I think may be a feature of Windows 8, is visual feedback of your fingers on the screen. If I put all 10 fingers on screen, I see 10 points of light on screen showing where I am touching.

In summary, the Acer T232HL has an astounding 1920 X 1080 IPS display with extremely wide viewing angles, very nice response time for gaming, and flawless touch support for Windows 8. The price is a little steep at $499 for a 23" display, but I found it well worth it based on the touch capabilities.

On day 3 of the monitor and still love the display and the touch features. Fingerprints are definitely visible when the screen is black, but when it's on you can hardly see anything except for a very slight smudge here and there in text from finger smudges. I'm surprised there isn't a more fingerprint resistant glass, but it's certainly not a deal break. I just accept that a touch screen will accumulate finger smudges so I keep a microfiber cloth handy and wipe it down daily,