Farcry 3 performance

I recently bought Farcry 3 and love it. I max out the graphics on all my games because I like stunning visuals and I think my system can handle it (in my sig). However, everything maxed in Farcry makes my experience a little less than smooth. It gets a little choppy from time to time and movements seem to lag behind the mouse a little. Is this one of those bleeding edge games that can't be maxed out on current gen hardware, much like Crysis? Or is it maybe a driver issue? I have the latest from NVidia 310.90.

Its not really about bleeding edge games. Its how well they are optimized in most cases. Depending on the engine used.

It used the Dunia 2 engine. And from the past game it offers great performance with greater visuals.

Look at my Rig. I run this game Medium-High settings FullHD and get around 30fps or more.

So I don't think it should exibit any problems. Make sure you have updated the game.

And the drivers you have mentioned have big performance improvements. So it should get better not worse.

Try fraps to see how the framesrates are all around.

Try reducing AA

your setup should have no problem handling the game on max settings. i'm surprised things get choppy at all. afaik, those drivers should have an appropriate SLI profile and i remember nvidia claming some % increase in performance for FC3. I'd chalk it up to the game's optimization.

I had a lot of mosue lag when running it maxed at 1080p (amd 6950), but after turning settings down to mostly "high" (and a few settings still maxed) it ran very smooth with no mouse lag and still looked amazing.

I recently bought Farcry 3 and love it. I max out the graphics on all my games because I like stunning visuals and I think my system can handle it (in my sig). However, everything maxed in Farcry makes my experience a little less than smooth. It gets a little choppy from time to time and movements seem to lag behind the mouse a little. Is this one of those bleeding edge games that can't be maxed out on current gen hardware, much like Crysis? Or is it maybe a driver issue? I have the latest from NVidia 310.90.

Probably need to update your hardware, doesn't seem powerful enough ;)

Probably need to update your hardware, doesn't seem powerful enough ;)

;-)

How do I get an SLI "profile" for the game? I went into 3d settings and added the path to the game .exe and pretty much picked about every best setting I could - 16x AF, FXAA on (32x CSAA), Transparency 8x (supersample), SLI rendering mode in bold is Custom, off and CLAMP (maybe the driver recognizes the game name and sets the SLI mode). In game, I have it set at ultra and play at 1920 X 1080 on my new display. Is there an in-game fps display I can try?

pasteguin,

Your issues are most likekly caused by shadow rendering & Anisotropic filtering. There are know performance issues within these modules. The resolution for this particular problem is actually resolved on the hardware manufacturer side. It is unlikely the Farcry 3 team with resolve these.

Both nVidia & ATI have identified there are rendering & performance issues with Farcry 3.

To combat these issues both nVidia & ATI have released a beta driver with huge (up to 25%) Farcry 3 improvements... You must use the beta drivers to realize this benefit.

For exmaple I have 2 ATI cards and once I upgraded to the beta driver all my visual issues went away.

In Addition, just out of interest it has been inferred that these issues are caused by poor optimization. Many people agree with this sentiment so just in case keep your game updated.

Give it a go and report back.

I assume that your 27" monitor is 2560x1440? If so then you're in a similar boat to me. I have a 30" monitor with a resolution of 2560x1600 and my GTX680 SLI setup (both overclocked) experiences occasional slow down when maxed out, though it's certainly improved with the recent drivers (which I see you're already using) - the majority of the time I get a constant 60fps. The reality is that it's a really demanding game but I'm still hopeful that future driver updates and a potential patch can improve performance. I think it's drivers that are holding things back at the moment.

I have to change my sig. My monitor is now an Acer touch monitor running at 1920 X 1080.

pasteguin,

Your issues are most likekly caused by shadow rendering & Anisotropic filtering. There are know performance issues within these modules. The resolution for this particular problem is actually resolved on the hardware manufacturer side. It is unlikely the Farcry 3 team with resolve these.

Both nVidia & ATI have identified there are rendering & performance issues with Farcry 3.

To combat these issues both nVidia & ATI have released a beta driver with huge (up to 25%) Farcry 3 improvements... You must use the beta drivers to realize this benefit.

For exmaple I have 2 ATI cards and once I upgraded to the beta driver all my visual issues went away.

In Addition, just out of interest it has been inferred that these issues are caused by poor optimization. Many people agree with this sentiment so just in case keep your game updated.

Give it a go and report back.

I looked for a beta driver and don't see one. 310.90 is the latest I can get.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel for you. I run Skyrim on Ultra but with some tweaks to help performance because it taxes the poop out of my system. And my system is no slouch... 570GTX, i7-2600K, etc. I guess I will be saving for another 570GTX and a bigger power supply for the next gen. of games.