Photo

Need help choosing between 2 laptops...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 diffstyle

diffstyle

Neowinian

Posted 17 January 2013 - 15:37

Hello, I need some input on choosing a laptop. I can either get the Sony Vaio Z 2nd generation with a i7 2620m processor and power media dock or the Lenovo X230t i7 model. I have a Slate 7 that I use at school for pen input note taking, but need something for video editing, and other Web development needs with a keyboard. What would you guys/gals recommend?

#2 +zhiVago

zhiVago

World Citizen

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 17 January 2013 - 16:00

Since the same models can be configured differently, please provide links to the exact specifications so we could compare them.

#3 RommelS

RommelS

Neowinian

Posted 17 January 2013 - 16:12

From what you've describe, even though I like Sony laptops (have 3 of them), I would go with the Lenovo, and here is why:
<p>
  • X230T will alow you to take note as well, thus allowing you to do video editing / web development when time permits on the go
  • X230T uses third gen Intel i7 CPU
  • Ability to upgrade the RAM to 16 GB that could help you with your video editing (Z series 8 GB max)
  • 2 USB 3.0 ports (Z series 1)
Granted, the Z series is isn't a slouch even though part of its tech is somewhat dated, but if you will just use your laptop at home, then Z series would be a good solution as well. However, since you mentioned about note taking, and that you've even considered looking at the X230T as an option, then you might be leaning to a device that you can utilized for school and development; hence I will go with the X230T.

#4 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 January 2013 - 16:24

The Lenovo has better specs, and quality-wise Lenovo makes some of the best PCs you can buy. I'd go with them.

#5 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4 16GB by LG

Posted 17 January 2013 - 21:12

I'd hang fire soon as Lenovo are going to be releasing the ThinkPad Helix soon. It's likely top have an effect on X230T pricing if it doesn't replace it altogether.

http://www.thinkscop...ll-hello-helix/

#6 OP diffstyle

diffstyle

Neowinian

Posted 17 January 2013 - 22:00

Thanks for the replies, both of the computers are the same price point for me which is $800. That's why i am having a hard time making me choice. I love the way the Z looks and its a really powerful machine even though it uses a 2nd gen i7. Plus side is that Power Media Dock can provide me with enough gaming when I need to play some titles. The Lenevo on the other hard has a 3r gen i7 and tablet mode which means i could actually sell my samsung slate 7 and only have one computer since i take all my lecture notes with oneNote. This is why I'm stuck =(

#7 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 17 January 2013 - 23:19

what has the best battery life?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!