What I wish the PS4 were

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 OP Asmodai

Asmodai

Neowinian

• Phone: Motorola Droid Mini

Posted 17 January 2013 - 19:48

What ? This couldn't be any less accurate,... Every console is always at least one or two (if not more) generations behind current GPU (PC) counterparts. Not even the recently released WiiU contained on-par graphics with top of the line GPUs (E6760 wiiU vs. a 7970 PC)

Nintendo is the exception. Just like the Wii couldn't do HD when the Xbox360 and PS3 did the Wii U is behind the curve in pushing bleeding edge tech (not that that's bad, it's made them a ton of money.) The Xenos GPU the Xbox360 has is based off of the ATI R520 architecture which was the current ATI GPU when it launched in 2005. The RSX in the PS3 is based off of the nVidia NV47 which was current when it launched in 2006.

#17 OP Asmodai

Asmodai

Neowinian

Posted 17 January 2013 - 20:09

You might want to actually RESEARCH something before speculating. :rolleyes:

Follow this link:
http://www.xbitlabs....1117130000.html
The Blu-Ray drive's estimated cost was $125 at launch.
As for SSD's I can go to newegg and buy a 240GB one for around $160. That's one guy buying a drive retail. One would assume that with wholesale pricing and volume discounts Sony could get that lower than I can (and I didn't even look around beyond newegg). I'm only $35 off as it is. Even if you can't though then dropping the drive down to a 120GB SSD drive gets you below $100. Also again prices are coming down fast in the SSD world and these consoles likely won't actually launch until late in the year or even next year when prices will be even lower.
You can remove your foot from your mouth now.

#18 OP Asmodai

Asmodai

Neowinian

Posted 17 January 2013 - 20:42

I would just love for it to have a decent internet browser!!

rolf, I'm with you there. A native Pandora app would be nice too since the crappy browser on the PS3 keeps running out of memory if I keep it on playing music through the house all day.
I wish they'd just give up with their own broswer and work with Google to put Chrome on... in fact they could make the PS4 include the whole GoogleTV software suite in addition to the PlayStation specific stuff. Sony already makes Android phones (including the Xperia Play), uses Google Maps on the Vita, and makes stand alone GoogleTV boxes.

#19 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2013 - 20:49

Follow this link:
http://www.xbitlabs....1117130000.html
The Blu-Ray drive's estimated cost was $125 at launch.
As for SSD's I can go to newegg and buy a 240GB one for around $160. That's one guy buying a drive retail. One would assume that with wholesale pricing and volume discounts Sony could get that lower than I can (and I didn't even look around beyond newegg). I'm only $35 off as it is. Even if you can't though then dropping the drive down to a 120GB SSD drive gets you below $100. Also again prices are coming down fast in the SSD world and these consoles likely won't actually launch until late in the year or even next year when prices will be even lower.
You can remove your foot from your mouth now.

Why exactly would a console need an SSD in the first place? A mechanical drive would be far cheaper. A PS4 would NOT sell well if it comes out at or above the PS3 launch price ($599).
Quit being asinine.

#20 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 17 January 2013 - 21:17

I don't see the need for a SSD. A mechnical hard drive would not only be cheaper but offer much more space. And space will be even more important for next-gen consoles. I'd rather have a 2TB hard drive than a 240GB SSD.

#21 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 January 2013 - 21:25

I wish MRAM and ST-RAM were more developed, we'd have some serious beasting on our hands.

#22 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 17 January 2013 - 21:41

Put some serious Sea Islands metal in there. Otherwise, it will be on par with an average gaming PC for about a year at 1080p. And after that PC Master Race will rise and rule again.

#23 OP Asmodai

Asmodai

Neowinian

Posted 17 January 2013 - 21:47

I don't see the need for a SSD. A mechnical hard drive would not only be cheaper but offer much more space. And space will be even more important for next-gen consoles. I'd rather have a 2TB hard drive than a 240GB SSD.

If you exclude the cloud I'd agree with you but I think the upcoming console generation is going to include a huge push to the cloud. Smaller faster local storage with say a 1GB of cloud storage included for free and then offering cloud storage upgrades at a reasonable price seems like a good way for them to go. With more and more downloadable games becoming available the local drive speed will become even more important in this upcoming generation. Ideally movies and music will be streamed so you don't need storage for that and the USB 3.0 ports allow savvy gamers to attach an external HDD if they really want a ton of storage. With cloud saves for example you'll be able to play God of War Next at your house, take your disc to your friends house and log into his PS4 put the game disc in and continue right where you left off. (he can remove your account from his local machine when you leave if he likes)

#24 hckngrtfakt

hckngrtfakt

GFX n00b

• Phone: iPhone

Posted 17 January 2013 - 21:59

You can't rely on the cloud or even assume everyone else that buys the system does so as well.
There's data caps from various ISPs as well as bandwith speed limitations.
The dedicated to the most casual gamer would not put up with having to wait an average of 1 to 5 minutes for a game save to load, simply to compromise faster level loading times. (if not, see how happy the wiiU owners where about that 5gb+ patch they got on week 1)

An HDD is still a viable and preferred option over a space-limited SSD

#25 OP Asmodai

Asmodai

Neowinian

Posted 17 January 2013 - 22:00

Put some serious Sea Islands metal in there. Otherwise, it will be on par with an average gaming PC for about a year at 1080p. And after that PC Master Race will rise and rule again.

Oh the PC Master Race will always rise and rule again! People thought I was nuts for suggesting Southern Islands or Kepler which both came out in early 2012 and you're going with something that isn't even out yet, that's great! What I posted I thought was actually reasonable for a say $500 subsidized console (for the 240GB version) or maybe $400 (for the 120GB version) though clearly others seem to think even my thoughts went way too far. Keep in mind though that while you could certainly build a PC with better specs at launch it won't be price competitive since typically console makers sell new console hardware at a loss. Likewise games will actually look better on the console for a while because developers know everyone has the exact same hardware and on PCs while there may be people with better spec'd hardware there are also A LOT with worse that they are going to continue to target so they can't tune their games to get every bit of performance out of a specific hardware set like the console devs can. The 32bit compatibility issue is also a problem on PC's, it will likely be quite some time before PC devs can make games that REQUIRE more then 2GB of memory because that's all out of the box 32bit MS OS's can handle and there's still a lot of people out there running 32bit and devs won't want to exclude them.

#26 OP Asmodai

Asmodai

Neowinian

Posted 17 January 2013 - 22:12

You can't rely on the cloud or even assume everyone else that buys the system does so as well. There's data caps from various ISPs as well as bandwith speed limitations. The dedicated to the most casual gamer would not put up with having to wait an average of 1 to 5 minutes for a game save to load, simply to compromise faster level loading times. (if not, see how happy the wiiU owners where about that 5gb+ patch they got on week 1) An HDD is still a viable and preferred option over a space-limited SSD

You don't have to RELY on cloud storage, it's an OPTION. Sony still sells a 12GB PS3 and it launched with 20GB and 60GB so even the 120GB would be perfectly functional even without an internet connection at all. The PS4 games would still play off the discs and while they may have an OPTION to install parts for faster load times they wouldn't REQUIRE it. Save games would still load and save locally they'd just sync to the cloud (if available) so again if a connection isn't there you're still fine (you just can't go to a different PS4 and continue where you left off). If you chose to store Movie and Music in the cloud instead of downloading it locally you could play it by streaming it instead of having to fully download it each time. You could play that stuff anywhere too, off your phone, off your tablet, off your PC just log into your PSN account through a browser and stream away. If you don't have a connection though that stuff is all optional you can still play PS4 games off discs, Blu-Ray movies, etc. just fine.

#27 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 17 January 2013 - 22:29

I want the ability to be able to plug in a flashdrive and have the ps4 take that into either storage or more ram for it to use. Other than that, I'm sure it will be awesome. I'm already happy with where consoles are at in terms of graphics and such. Coming from what I grew up with, these are great times and only getting better.

#28 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 18 January 2013 - 14:59

No, it doesnt. Crysis 2 is a bad example because the PC version was a PORT from the consoles.
Try a PC-optimized (no port) game such as DMC, and you'll notice the obvious difference
or even a PC exclusive which was later on ported to consoles (like FarCry 2)

im talking about current PC games compared to future consoles. you havent seen the PS4 so no one knows what the graphics will look like. Historically, when consoles are 1st released, the graphics are on par with current-gen PC graphics b/c they share similar hardware.

#29 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 18 January 2013 - 15:08

Why 8GB of RAM? I don't even see games on my PC use that much and that's with a hefty OS.

Maybe you'll need it for MMO's, with the player count, but publishers don't like them anyway because the cost it brings server side.

You could argue "DDR3 is cheap these days", but over a large productions line, it'll add up.

#30 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 18 January 2013 - 15:11

More than 2 usb ports please, I have to run a hub to charge more than 2 devices and have an external hard drive for my music and pics