Google Nexus 7 tops iPad in Japan: Is this a trend?

Google Nexus 7 tops iPad in Japan: Is this a trend?

Google's Nexus 7 is making serious market-share headway against Apple in Japan, according to Nikkei.

Google's Nexus 7 is gaining market share in Japan and topped Apple's iPad in one survey.

Japanese digital device consumers are some of the savviest in the world. So, a report Thursday showing that the Nexus 7 has bested the iPad in market share is worthy of attention.

Based on a survey of 2,400 consumer electronics stores in Japan, Google's Nexus 7 tablet had 44.4 percent of the market versus the iPad's 40.1 percent, according to Nikkei, Japan's largest business daily. The survey was done by market research firm BCN in December.

Not surprisingly, one of the big draws of the Nexus 7 -- which is co-branded with Asus, the manufacturer of the tablet -- is price, according to Nikkei. It's about a $100 less in Japan than Apple's least expensive tablet, the iPad Mini.

The survey did note, however, that there was a shortage of the iPad Mini at stores and that this may have contributed to Apple's market share decline. But the gist of Nikkei's analysis is that the Nexus 7's price is a bigger factor.

Tablet sales in Japan were 3.6 million units in 2012 and this is expected to swell to 4.9 million in 2013, according to figures from IDC Japan that Nikkei cited.

Source: c|net

My girls love their Nexus 7s. No big shock here that Google trumps Apple in this household, though. I don't have a lot of money these days, so I'm not going to waste it on Apple tax, and I have despised the Apple tablet since the original iPad was first announced, so it's highly unlikely I'll ever buy one. If I ever get enough money set aside to upgrade my Nook Color I'll probably be getting a Nook HD+ for myself, though, unless Google announces a 9" tablet that is aesthetically pleasing, under $300, and has a microSD card port. The Nexus 7 is ****ing fantastic, but the Nexus 10 doesn't have as good hardware (well, mostly here I'm looking at the CPU; it does have more RAM), continues to not have expandable memory, looks kinda fugly, and costs $400... yeah, no thanks, at least not unless the price drops considerably. I wish they'd had ASUS make the Nexus 10, also; it should have been identical to the 7 only with a 3" larger screen and HDMI out (at least they got that part right).

I'm not surprised, it's not a bad device, I know it's not as good as an iPad, but on the other hand, it's no where near as expensive neither

It's far better than iPad mini. Has more modern hardware, iPad mini uses iPad 2 hardware. Has nicer screen etc.. It might not be better than iPad 3/4 but for $199 vs almost $600 it's not even a competition.

It's far better than iPad mini. Has more modern hardware, iPad mini uses iPad 2 hardware. Has nicer screen etc.. It might not be better than iPad 3/4 but for $199 vs almost $600 it's not even a competition.

Yeah, even if the hardware was slightly worse it would still be much better for the price. The nexus 7 is a steal at 200 dollars, I do wish there was a way to get working HDMI out on it though.

Also I prefer android to iOS (just personal preference)