• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#46 OP Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Shine bright like Iron Man.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:09

I am sorry but you really are speaking total ********.
The reason ALL BAR ONE website providers use ANYTHING BUT MACS for hosting is because macs are NOT designed for hosting AT ALL, from what I remember, apple has a few apple servers dotted around for their frontmost facing websites and everything behind them is NOT mac.
Honestly do what you like, but please do NOT spread more misinformation. Macs, like windows clients, are built with options designed for a desktop use except the old OSX Server for XServes which they discontinued (Probably because no-one bought them either; overpriced and again very unoptimised for server use).
If you want to learn more about the differences between desktops and servers, get a linux distro installed and compile your own kernel, selecting all the options such as timer frequency, block schedulers, latency-aiming and whatnot and you'll soon realise very quickly why macs are NOT designed to be servers - they come with one kernel and one kernel only.

Major ********, I'm pretty sure just like every other OS, OS X is definitely usable as a server.

OS X may be not designed for the server, but with the system itself I can do anything. I have a Mac because I also have to develop for the mobile.

Since when was OS X Server discontinued?

#47 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:33

Major ********, I'm pretty sure just like every other OS, OS X is definitely usable as a server.

OS X may be not designed for the server, but with the system itself I can do anything. I have a Mac because I also have to develop for the mobile.

Since when was OS X Server discontinued?

Since the xserve got retired, they removed the seperate mac osx server and replaced it with some product for $15 or so in the app store, and if you read the comments on it on the app store you'll see many 1 starts and customers complaing its crap, unfinished and very buggy.
You have a mac because you have to develop for mobile? Seriously - you have a mac for whatever reason you want (I don't care) but so far just so you know - every reason you've came up with is complete and utter garbage.

In fact; https://itunes.apple...537441259?mt=12
Read them yourself.
'I never had an issue with File Read/Write Permissions with File Sharing, but after using Server, I simply can't easily edit files created by another user in the same network or workgroup… We are spending a lot of time fixing permission issues'
'With the last version adding DNS/DHCP controls back, we're finally feeling like it's becoming a server again compared to the first releases.' LOL at it being without such a basic tool.
'First, for anyone or any organization hoping for an out of box solution, fahgetit! Even though it has the web server and wiki built in, in my opinion, neither of them can serve a useful purpose.'

#48 OP Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:41

"for whatever reason"

So any reason I have a mac is utterly stupid?

#49 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:47

You've said you've had one so far for:
-> Backend web development
-> MySQL server
-> Other server
-> Desktop
-> A full server for a site
-> Mobile use
Quite a few people have told you about why not to use a mac as a server, feel free to do it if you still want to and you'll learn the hard way. Desktop use is a preference, if you prefer mac feel free to use it.
But I'm telling you now, if you get co-location hosting or whatnot with an 'imac' or 'mac mini' and you waltz on through the door with it, they'll show you the exit right away and won't stop laughing.

#50 OP Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:51

You've said you've had one so far for:
-> Backend web development
-> MySQL server
-> Other server
-> Desktop
-> A full server for a site
-> Mobile use
Quite a few people have told you about why not to use a mac as a server, feel free to do it if you still want to and you'll learn the hard way. Desktop use is a preference, if you prefer mac feel free to use it.
But I'm telling you now, if you get co-location hosting or whatnot with an 'imac' or 'mac mini' and you waltz on through the door with it, they'll show you the exit right away and won't stop laughing.

Womp.

#51 tim_s

tim_s

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:14

Hi,

For myself anyways - I am not saying apple has made a bad. Infact if you review my signature you will see I have a mac book pro listed. It is my second because this fits a niche - it has a native bash terminal and is quite plug and play.

This makes it ideal for running around and making meetings and being adaptable. Works great!

Does it beat my Gentoo box - no, I prefer the customization and the optimization.

Can my mac do the same tasks - in some manner but is it geared to meet those challenges no.

Does it beat my Windows box - no, I prefer the game selection on windows.

Can my mac do the same tasks - in some manner but with new additions.

Right tool for the right job and for the right person.

You might be the right person but many people think you chose the wrong tool. What I do know is that my Gentoo box cost me 50% of my mac book value. You can see that 50% more would have a much more impressive machine geared towards being a server.

#52 OP Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:42

Hi,

For myself anyways - I am not saying apple has made a bad. Infact if you review my signature you will see I have a mac book pro listed. It is my second because this fits a niche - it has a native bash terminal and is quite plug and play.

This makes it ideal for running around and making meetings and being adaptable. Works great!

Does it beat my Gentoo box - no, I prefer the customization and the optimization.

Can my mac do the same tasks - in some manner but is it geared to meet those challenges no.

Does it beat my Windows box - no, I prefer the game selection on windows.

Can my mac do the same tasks - in some manner but with new additions.

Right tool for the right job and for the right person.

You might be the right person but many people think you chose the wrong tool. What I do know is that my Gentoo box cost me 50% of my mac book value. You can see that 50% more would have a much more impressive machine geared towards being a server.

Or all in one box.

#53 tim_s

tim_s

Posted 19 January 2013 - 13:55

I am starting to think you are joking around at this stage. - clearly you cannot beleive in your own advice LOL

#54 OP Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Posted 19 January 2013 - 18:31

I am starting to think you are joking around at this stage. - clearly you cannot beleive in your own advice LOL

More like I was already on Linux. VirtualBox.

#55 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 January 2013 - 20:12

More like I was already on Linux. VirtualBox.

Virtualbox for a server? Oh christ you really haven't a clue. Good luck, because you'll need it for all the problems you'll encounter.

#56 OP Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Posted 19 January 2013 - 20:42

Virtualbox for a server? Oh christ you really haven't a clue. Good luck, because you'll need it for all the problems you'll encounter.

I'm just going for all possibilities, til I can find better. If you can get me a second Mac Mini to fully install Debian or Ubuntu, be my guest. I don't have enough resources at the moment to pull off enough til I'm financially stable.

#57 tim_s

tim_s

Posted 19 January 2013 - 21:58

Just crazy lol

#58 OP Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Posted 19 January 2013 - 22:27

Just crazy lol

That's my ideal life. lol

#59 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 January 2013 - 23:15

I'm just going for all possibilities, til I can find better. If you can get me a second Mac Mini to fully install Debian or Ubuntu, be my guest. I don't have enough resources at the moment to pull off enough til I'm financially stable.

Why in the HELL would you buy a MAC to run LINUX!?
You're never going to get far in the real world.

#60 OP Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Posted 19 January 2013 - 23:49

I never bought the Mac to run Linux you ignorant taco stand.

I ran it on my Mac after we lost the big server.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!