I didn't see a topic on this game yet, and since I've been playing it a TON lately I thought I'd see if anyone else here on Neowin was playing. Or wanted to play, since you can get a beta key for the game pretty easily from lots of places right now.

To make a long story short here's what Warframe is: A 3rd Person Co-op focused multiplayer shooter being made by Digital Extremes (yes, that Digital Extremes aka the guys who made Unreal 1 etc with Epic) using their own in house custom built engine that looks as good if not better than some of the other AAA engines on the market. It's basically a Cyborg Space Ninja themed game. Dudes look like cyborg ninjas and the game takes place in the future where some race has more or less screwed up Humanity and only a weird off shoot of Humanity is left and they try to, oh whatever the story doesn't matter lol

You can use a primary weapon such as an assault rifle or shotgun, and a secondary like a pistol. But you also get a sword (or stave depending on your warframe etc) and can cut enemies in HALF. You can charge melee swings for even more HALFNESS. You also get powers, again depending on your frame. The default frame is basically an all rounder, but does massive melee damage with his basic power. It's pretty sweet stuff regardless. There's a crafting system in game though it's pretty basic right now. Since a few patches ago, random events take place (though they are basically the same missions from the rest, just an alert status mission) that when you complete you get extra credits. It's F2P so there are microtransactions of course. Nothing Pay2Win though. However, the revive system is part of this. You get 4 revives a day, then you have to pay to get more, or just forfeit the mission you were in. Teammates can revive you an unlimited amount of times however, and it doesn't count towards the 4 a day count. There's a lot more I could list, but walls of text are annoying :D

The game is GORGEOUS. Runs smooth as butter maxed out (ymmv though of course), and is a fairly small download for the amazing visuals and what not. I think my initial download/install was around 800 megs. The DE guys patch it frequently (today they had 3 patches!) adding in new content as well as polishing the game and fixing bugs obviously.

In any event, my in game nick there is lordloc, so if you are already playing it, feel free to add me to your contacts list so we can slice and dice and shoot weird aliens and what not together :)

https://warframe.com/ is the main website.

You can get a key from a ton of places right now. www.mmobomb.com has them, www.incgamers.com has them, IGN had them as of a couple of days ago but I don't know if they still do.

I'd post links better (and put some videos in the post) but for some reason my browser isn't loading up the editor properly and whenever I put tags in the browser is just removing them...spooky.

For those that can't get a key, for whatever reason, I do have a few keys I can give out. I think I have 3 or 4 extra keys right now. Don't quote me on that one though, and DON'T PM me for one, I won't answer them. If you can't get a key, and want one, post in this thread.

I haven't played it beyond the training but from what little I played, the performance was great. They managed to make the game look good and perform well at the same time. Their upcoming Star Trek game should run just as well because it uses the same engine. For those that want a beta key, you can get one at MMO Bomb: http://www.mmobomb.c...frame-beta-keys

As of this post, they have about 3.5K keys left.

Yay someone posted! I didn't want to bump the thread, so I had to wait for someone to post. I was getting worried no one was ever going to Anaron :D

Wanna play at some point sir?

Has anyone here even looked at the game? Gone to their website, anything?!! I have 7 or 8 extra beta keys in back up just in case.

http://www.incgamers.com/2013/01/get-your-warframe-beta-keys-in-our-giveaway/

http://www.freemmostation.com/giveaways/warframe-closed-beta-giveaway/

http://mmohuts.com/giveaways/warframe-stress-test-beta-key-giveaway

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/406 (over 8,000 keys here)

Those guys have keys also still.

Hopefully someone, someplace, somehow on Neowin will check the game out and maybe stuff will happen!

The IncGamers link doesn't require registration so that's good for people that want a beta key immediately. Not that it would kill you to register an account in 5 minutes or less on any of the other websites.

It looks like an interesting game but they need to do more at generating interest for it. The fact that a lot of places haven't run out of keys isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm a little surprised. For example, one of the websites you linked has over 8,000 keys.

Anyway, I'm interested in trying it out soon. I'm currently devoting my gaming time to Dota 2 with my friend but I think I can play sometime this week.

EDIT: Here's a beta key...

3289-EFFA-884B-B10E

Go here to make an account and activate it: http://www.warframe.com/signup

Yeah, I imagine Digital Extremes will ramp up PR for the game once the game gets more content and polish. Not to mention closer to being fully released into open beta/launch state.

I played a little but I'm just having a hard time getting into betas when I'm still playing so many already released games, so I got rid of it for now.

Do not like the missions that take four people to complete. Good luck getting the people needed in the first place.

Well it IS a coop focused game. And there are plenty of people to play with, I've never had a hard time getting a 4 man mission going. You can also set your region easily in the options menu if it's deserted in your time zone but not zombie time say in Europe or Oceania etc. And with all the people coming in from the various beta key giveaways there's more and more people to play with.

• 3 months later...

https://warframe.com/

This game is pretty damn good for free to play. I wouldn't call it great yet but it is close, and a hell of a lot better than 99% of other free games IMO.

You fight through various segments of a ship or base at planets in the solar systems.

You start with one of three Frames and work your way up the food chain. Each Frame has four unique abilities as default and can be modded as you level up (weapons also level up and can be modded.) The game never forces you to spend money, but it is damn hard to get new Frames without it once you've leveled up the original (it takes a while to get there though.) Some stuff you can't even get in the market, it has to be built (you build stuff with resources you find in the levels and blueprints either in the levels or the marketplace.)

It's in open beta so the content isn't 'done' yet, but it's hard to argue with what they offer now.

As an added bonus, it supports DX11 and has a 64 bit client that's used automatically in a 64 bit OS (with the possible exception of XP x64...don't know.) No idea if that really changes anything, but rare enough for any games much less a free one.

My brother and I will be in there quite a bit for the foreseeable future.

Played with some mates on this and its no bad. Not OMFG 10/10, but deffo a solid 7 or 8/10.

Lotta fun with friends :)

• 3 weeks later...

I just recently downloaded this as well and it's a fairly solid game. Playing with friends is a must, though.

I keep getting glitched gameplay on the 3rd level of the first planet, though.

It gets really boring after a couple months. Granted its closed beta and there is more to come.

The old mod system was much better, the glammed it up and lost a lot by over doing it I think.

Anyhow, the brightest up and coming game available now is Firefall. Give it a shot if you dare. Give it more than a week and you'll be in love.

Firefall is yet another dx9 game so I'm ignoring it.

Warframe is damn good. It needs more variety on the levels and audio, but the gameplay is great.

Also, it's on open beta as of update 7, not closed. And 8 is about to be released (from what I can tell, I don't know when.)

Warframe is a good game that doesn't require a lot of time commitment to play. If you follow the alert twitter you can jump into an alert and play for 10-15 minutes then quit again until another alert comes up that you're interested in.

And yes, update 8 for Warframe should be out by the end of the week. Clans (which is what the update revolves around) don't interest me to much but new frames, weapons, and tile sets do. So I'm looking forward to it.

Firefall on the other hand. I'm sure there is some good game play in there some where, but I'll be damned if I'm able to find it. The game's performance is absolutely terrible so I've never played it for more than 20 minutes before quickly uninstalling it and hoping it will get better in the future. I've had access to it since the very early betas and nothing has changed as far as performance is concerned in almost a year.

If anyone is looking for someone to play with, my friend and I are on occasionally. We're level 20+ on our fire Warframe.

Name: DaddyHitsMe

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this thread needs to be moved to the regular Gamers Hangout thread, Warframe is coming to PS4.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/06/04/warframe-is-coming-to-playstation-4

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/free-to-play-shooter-warframe-coming-to-ps4

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/58974-playstation-4-warframe/

Not sure how I feel about that to be honest.

If anyone is looking for someone to play with, my friend and I are on occasionally. We're level 20+ on our fire Warframe.

Name: DaddyHitsMe

Oh I saw you on there. I laughed but umm...seriously? Heh. Weird name.

SavagePaladin and my bro is ssstacey...but we're taking a break I think (I finished all the systems and can't seem to find the parts to build another frame so I'm mostly done.)

Not sure how I feel about that to be honest.

I'm all for it spreading out. I think the consoles will make better gaming PCs than the PCs do anymore.

I'd bet the F2P stuff will end up on the X1 too, though I'm not positive.

Oh I saw you on there. I laughed but umm...seriously? Heh. Weird name.

SavagePaladin and my bro is ssstacey...but we're taking a break I think (I finished all the systems and can't seem to find the parts to build another frame so I'm mostly done.)

I'm all for it spreading out. I think the consoles will make better gaming PCs than the PCs do anymore.

I'd bet the F2P stuff will end up on the X1 too, though I'm not positive.

I don't know about that, k&m will pretty much always be a superior input medium.

And I doubt it will be on the xbox, DE is saying Sony approached them, and not the other way around. And as far as I know, Microsoft with xbox will require a fee to download the game.

And as far as I know

Might, but they haven't said. Might just require XBL Gold...but again, they haven't said. I'm not convinced MS will stick to the same setup as the 360, although I'm not betting either way.

• 4 months later...

Waaaaait a minute...we completely forgot about this topic?

This game has gone from pretty decent to damn good :) 

I'm loving the current event they're running: Corpus vs Grineer, and you choose who to side with...if you side with the Corpus you prevent the Grineer from gaining more worlds but lose the Tenno in cryostasis, if you side with the Grineer you prevent the Corpus from acquiring them.

It's actually completely unexpected.  And weird fighting with armies you've been putting the smack down on all this time.

Lots of new weapons since then too.  I hadn't played in a while but my brother was home for a bit and we were in there...much enjoying it.

Yeah not sure why this hasn't been a more popular thread to be honest. It's a popular game on Steam (and in general) so I'm gonna guess that some Neowinians play it :D

With all the updates recently, not to mention the content added - the game is really shaping up to be a winner all the way.