university of buckingham panspermia meteoroids asteroids

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,533 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 16:34

If a group of scientists are correct, tiny fossils uncovered inside a meteorite found in Sri Lanka in December are proof of extraterrestrial life.

In a detailed paper called "Fossil Diatoms In A New Carbonaceous Meteorite" that is appearing in the Journal of Cosmology, Chandra Wickramasinghe claims to have found strong evidence that life exists throughout the universe.

An electron microscope was used to study the reported remains of a large meteorite (see image below) that fell near the Sri Lanka village of Polonnaruwa on Dec. 29.
Posted Image

Wickramasinghe is the director of the Buckingham Centre for Astrobiology at the University of Buckingham in the U.K. In December, he and his colleagues found "a microstructure and morphology characteristic of a wide class of terrestrial diatoms." The group concluded that "the presence of structures of this kind in any extraterrestrial setting could be construed as unequivocal proof of biology" -- in other words, proof of life outside of planet Earth.

Wickramasinghe and English astronomer Sir Fred Hoyle have co-developed a theory known as "panspermia," which suggests that life exists throughout the universe and is distributed by meteoroids and asteroids.

"We conclude ... that the identification of fossilised diatoms [as shown in the image below] in the Polonnaruwa meteorite is firmly established and unimpeachable. Since this meteorite is considered to be an extinct cometary fragment, the idea of microbial life carried within comets and the theory of cometary panspermia is thus vindicated," Wickramasinghe wrote in the research paper.

more

#2 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,438 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 16:40

Although I do believe in other life forms somewhere out there, cross contamination could be the cause. The only way you'll ever be able to really prove it, is if you find it from another planet other than our own.

#3 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,529 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 16:41

Well of course it exists, just look at HUM's sig
all the proof I need :p

#4 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

• 3,781 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 16:44

Although I do believe in other life forms somewhere out there, cross contamination could be the cause. The only way you'll ever be able to really prove it, is if you find it from another planet other than our own.

i am not a molecular scientist or biologist, but i would assume the science field has certain checks in place to prevent errors just like the one you are proposing.

#5 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 16:57

It isn't a matter of if there is life, it is a matter of where.

#6 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,105 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 17:05

It isn't a matter of if there is life, it is a matter of where.

And when. I would think the best way to find signs of life would be to uncover some remains similar to how we dig up dinosaur bones.
Hell, I'd believe that Mars has remains of life on it, but we're just not able to dig deep enough yet.

#7 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• 1,866 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 17:06

it could be the way planets get "seeded" with life, there was a sudden explosion of life or someat on our planet billions of years ago, could of bin seeded by a meteorite like this, in which case there would be more carbon based life like our own through our own galaxy.

anyone who believes we are the only intelligent life in the entire universe is stupid, because what would be the point in exploring anything. may as well just sit on this little rock of ours and wait till we get blown up by the a meteorite or someat.

#8 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 11,529 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 17:07

And when. I would think the best way to find signs of life would be to uncover some remains similar to how we dig up dinosaur bones.
Hell, I'd believe that Mars has remains of life on it, but we're just not able to dig deep enough yet.

I remember a news story on TV stating they did find fossilised remains on Mars (vaguely)

#9 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

• 1,865 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 17:17

The meteorite landed last year and it contains fossils of what appear to be microbiological life.

Either it had the incredible fortune to land on a bed of previously undiscovered microbiological fossils and incorporate them into its structure without somehow destroying them on impact, or you didn't really think your comment through :D

They're either extra-terrestrial life or something non-biological that looks uncannily like something biological.

#10 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 17:18

I remember a news story on TV stating they did find fossilised remains on Mars (vaguely)

I remember that. I think it was more like "what they thought could be fossilized remains." Never confirmed though.

#11 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,105 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 17:20

I think Curiosity found something that resembled corral, but they never really went any deeper than that.
Or are you thinking of something different?

#12 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 11,529 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 17:22

I think Curiosity found something that resembled corral, but they never really went any deeper than that.
Or are you thinking of something different?

It might have been that,
ILIKETOBACCO mentioned it was unconfirmed, but I'm just glad someone other than me remembered it :)

#13 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 17:33

It might have been that,
ILIKETOBACCO mentioned it was unconfirmed, but I'm just glad someone other than me remembered it :)

Here ya go
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALH84001

#14 geertd

geertd

Neowinian

• 41 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 20:55

Hum

read this http://www.slate.com..._meteorite.html
totally debunks Wickramasinghe article

#15 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,969 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 18 January 2013 - 21:00

as large as the universe is i would expect there to be live somewhere else. whether we have proof of it or not.