• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#16 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,372 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 18 January 2013 - 19:57

Components on both sides of the board and traces running through the layers of the PCB, just because there is nothing on the surface doesn't mean there's nothing underneath.

I think the most important thing to take away from this is that 512Mb for the OS on Orbis and 3Gb on the Durango means that the PS4 is geared to be a pure games machine, the Nextbox is more the entertainment hub.

I suspect the OS size will hit between 500-1000 on the nextbox by release.
and it'll be able to play custom music during gameplay :p

I would suspect they'll in fact learn from and use app design from WP and 8, and you'll be able to run apps at the same time as games, in other words. Spotify and similar streaming while gaming.

#17 OP TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 20:00

The rumours are that it'll run on Windows 8 Kernel, I know Microsoft is keen to have consistency between devices. I wouldn't be surprised if it had the ability or functionality of a Windows RT OS geared more for Gaming.

#18 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,348 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 18 January 2013 - 20:02

Memory is very important in console gaming and so far, it looks like the next-gen Xbox is slightly better (despite having a weaker GPU).

#19 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• 2,736 posts
  • Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 18 January 2013 - 20:05

I suspect the OS size will hit between 500-1000 on the nextbox by release.
and it'll be able to play custom music during gameplay :p

I would suspect they'll in fact learn from and use app design from WP and 8, and you'll be able to run apps at the same time as games, in other words. Spotify and similar streaming while gaming.

Also, reservine more for the OS means less likelyhood of the OS dipping into the game's RAM. Just becuase its "reserved" doesn't mean its "exclusive". If they ever decide to up their game with the PS4 OS they may run out of RAM.

#20 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,910 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 18 January 2013 - 20:09

So what's going to produce a better result? Less faster RAM, or more slower RAM?

#21 OP TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 20:10

Sony is going for a lean OS with just gaming functions, Microsoft reserved more because they want it to be the central media hub.

The Sony XMB OS ran on 50Mb of RAM, with 512Mb I think they have a bit of breathing space.

#22 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 20:11

Most of these specs seem pretty irrelevant right now, the bigger issue is to support large textures you're looking at 30+ Gbs for a game already, and you need a pile of VRAM to load that. That's today, on a PC, not 7 years from now when these consoles finally get replaced.

#23 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,417 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 20:12

If these specs are true, I would imagine a fairly good price depending on the cost of the new Jaguar CPU.

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,372 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 20:13

Sony is going for a lean OS with just gaming functions, Microsoft reserved more because they want it to be the central media hub.

The Sony XMB OS ran on 50Mb of RAM, with 512Mb I think they have a bit of breathing space.

yeah, and with that low memory they had huge issues getting in game functions of the xmb to work smoothly, and some never got implemented.

Also, all indications are that Sony definitely will be aiming for a media hub, that's been their marketing strategy for every device they're doing lately from TV's (and beating the mythical non existent apple tv to the market with the same function) to BD players to phones.

#25 OP TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 20:14

Rumours are $400/£329, obviously this is just a guess on the rumoured specs.

yeah, and with that low memory they had huge issues getting in game functions of the xmb to work smoothly, and some never got implemented.

Yeah, hopefully 512Mb will be enough if they are going the lean, pure gaming OS route.

#26 Tony.

Tony.

Neowinian Senior

• 6,983 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 20:15

People need to take these specs with a pinch of salt. As for the memory thing, the memory in the Orbis is said to be 4GB of GDDR5 memory which is a graphics chip memory and not actual normal memory?

#27 OP TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 20:19

GDDR5 is used as Graphics Memory, its too expensive to use as general RAM, its based on DDR3, there is no reason why you can't use it as system memory as well.

#28 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,372 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 20:19

People need to take these specs with a pinch of salt. As for the memory thing, the memory in the Orbis is said to be 4GB of GDDR5 memory which is a graphics chip memory and not actual normal memory?

As I recall, the 360 used Graphics memory for all it's memroy as well, since it used unified memory for everything, so games could scale the memory to what they needed, not what the system said.

#29 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 18 January 2013 - 20:22

I thought Sony would go with Nvidia again???

#30 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,417 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 20:23

Here's to hoping the new Xbox has a Blu-ray drive.

I thought Sony would go with Nvidia again???

Go away Intel fangirl!! /s /jk

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!