125 replies to this topic

#106 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 15,464 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 23 January 2013 - 20:27

Yeah......no.

Posting pictures of games without anti-aliasing isn't helping your point. And consoles have a quarter of the resolution available to PC users , which looks particularly bad when you're pumping it through a 40"+ HDTV.

Graphics aren't everything. Growing up with consoles like Atari, Nintendo, and so on, I am fine with where console graphics are right now. All I want is better AI, better stories, some originality, and stable frames per second.

Nobody claimed graphics were everything. But PCs have better controls for a lot of genres (mouse + keyboard, flight sticks, etc) and you can't use "stable frames per second" against the PC, as it's perfectly possible to set all the graphics to low, set the resolution to 720p and use a framerate limiter at 30fps if you want to match the console experience.

#107 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,274 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5 (Android 4.4.2)

Posted 23 January 2013 - 20:56

It's still early so we may see a slight bump in specs closer to the release date.

#108 Draken

Draken

Neowinian Un-Wise One

• 1,575 posts
  • Phone: Motorola Razr HD

Posted 24 January 2013 - 13:17

Posting pictures of games without anti-aliasing isn't helping your point. And consoles have a quarter of the resolution available to PC users , which looks particularly bad when you're pumping it through a 40"+ HDTV.

Nobody claimed graphics were everything. But PCs have better controls for a lot of genres (mouse + keyboard, flight sticks, etc) and you can't use "stable frames per second" against the PC, as it's perfectly possible to set all the graphics to low, set the resolution to 720p and use a framerate limiter at 30fps if you want to match the console experience.

you talk like everyone have easy access to a beast machine like yours ... nope, consoles are a lot easier to use, have excellent graphics and many people are using controllers on PC games, even in shooters, because the controller is ideal for couch gaming on a big TV, KB+mouse not.

#109 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 15,464 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 23:08

you talk like everyone have easy access to a beast machine like yours

The strength of PC gaming is that people can spend what they want and adjust the game settings to balance performance. My system is way beyond what most PC gamers have but I could still get a better gaming experience than consoles with a fraction of the system.

consoles are a lot easier to use, have excellent graphics and many people are using controllers on PC games

Consoles are certainly easier to use but they in no way have "excellent graphics". As for controllers, that's the strength of the PC - you can use a controller if you want (and I do for many games) but you're not limited by it. And I have my computer hooked up to a 42" HDTV, so I can sit back on my couch with a wireless X360 controller and play games maxed out at 1080p @60fps.

There's a very good video comparison on GameTrailers that shows DmC: Devil May Cry on the PC @ 60fps versus the PS3 @ 30fps. The graphical quality is considerably lower on console (and that's matching the resolution) and the low framerate of the console version is horrible - to me that is unacceptable.

#110 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,286 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:46

The strength of PC gaming is that people can spend what they want and adjust the game settings to balance performance. My system is way beyond what most PC gamers have but I could still get a better gaming experience than consoles with a fraction of the system.

THAT is not a claim you can make, you can say that for yourself you get a better experience on your PC' you can not claim your PC experience is better than someone elses console experience, unless you're able to meld your mind with them and compare.

I know people who would have a better gaming experience on an old SNES than your fancy rig, PC, console, Size of your rig and e-peen has NOTHING to do with gaming experience. Not universally so anyway. Some people are graphics whores and will not be satisfied with anything but top end PC or Consoles for the first 3 months, others are more into the gameplay and don't care about the graphics, or let it have a secondary seat, and will only enjoy special games like jrpgs or such, others get their most joy out of old retro games.

#111 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• 3,164 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:53

There's a very good video comparison on GameTrailers that shows DmC: Devil May Cry on the PC @ 60fps versus the PS3 @ 30fps. The graphical quality is considerably lower on console (and that's matching the resolution) and the low framerate of the console version is horrible - to me that is unacceptable.

I'd have to argue with that being a "very good" comparison video. Mainly because of the ridiculously high amount of compression artifacts plaguing it.

#112 compl3x

compl3x

One day until retirement

• 7,277 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:31

unless you're able to meld your mind with them and compare.

Posted Image

#113 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 10,722 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:44

Yeah......no.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Try running the latest games with nVidia 7900GT graphics. BF3 for example runs at 12FPS on 7900GTX with everything turned off.

Woohoo KILLZONE FTW!

Question.
Going back to something I posted earlier in this thread, has anything new been rumoured or confirmed for the next gen consoles yet?
I know this is probably too much to ask for, seeing as they are rivals, but stuff like cross platform gaming, or at the very least chatting?
Lets face it, you can have an almost infinite combination of hardware and software, and operating systems, and still play some online games (like mmo's) on personal computers, regarldess of personal preference of computer, so why not consoles? (seeing as they are quite similar)?

#114 OP TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:21

Nothing is confirmed, everything is rumours and guesswork. Probably won't hear anything about services/features of the OS till E3.

I don't think you will ever see cross platform gaming or chatting, a lot of consoles are sold because x amount of friends have an xbox, so to play with your friends you go buy an xbox, if cross gaming/chat was allowed people could get whatever console they wanted, such as people who don't think Xbox Live is worth paying to play online, they could just get a PS3 and still play games with their friends.

It's not a technical reason (well maybe for PS3, it can't even do cross game chat), its just business.

You are comparing a console that came out 6 years ago with current day PC specs. I'd like to see you play games in 1080p@60 with maxed out settings on a £350-400 PC (rumoured cost of next gen consoles).

To keep up with graphics PC owners have to upgrade their PC at least every 2 years, with a £250+ graphics card, that's not even including CPU/Mobo/RAM upgrades.

As I already said, for completely unscientific benchmark, a 7900GTX gpu (being around the same performance of the PS3 RSX GPU) can barely run BF3 with everything on low in 1680x1050 at 12FPS.

#115 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• 3,164 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 26 January 2013 - 13:54

You are comparing a console that came out 6 years ago with current day PC specs. I'd like to see you play games in 1080p@60 with maxed out settings on a £350-400 PC (rumoured cost of next gen consoles).

To keep up with graphics PC owners have to upgrade their PC at least every 2 years, with a £250+ graphics card, that's not even including CPU/Mobo/RAM upgrades.

As I already said, for completely unscientific benchmark, a 7900GTX gpu (being around the same performance of the PS3 RSX GPU) can barely run BF3 with everything on low in 1680x1050 at 12FPS.

I wish console fans would atleast try to get some things right. You don't need to spend £250/$400 on your gpu every 2 years to remain capable of playing modern games. I think i spent around $180 in 2011 on my current gpu(in the sig), less than half of your claim, and i remain capable of playing modern games just fine here in 2013. And if i were to decide to upgrade soon, it'd be because i want to, not because i strictly have to to be able to keep playing games.

#116 OP TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 14:15

Why am I a console "fan"?

I've been into PCs since I was a child in the 80s. I don't consider myself a console gamer, I do most if not all of my gaming on PCs, the multiplatform stuff at least.

I agree you don't HAVE to spend £250 on a GPU but most first models (X850/X870 AMD and X700/ X800 of the Nvidias) of the next generation of GPUs are usually around that mark.

Sure you can spend less but then you have to drop the quality settings much sooner than you would and you end up with console level graphics anyway thanks to the lower image quality settings.

Face it, there is NO way a PC will be able to play the latest games if its using a 6 year old CPU/GPU and its stupid to compare modern day PCs with consoles 6 years old, you are going to have to have upgraded your PC at least twice to play the latest and greatest using image quality settings that are higher than console.

#117 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 16:00

Console Vs PC is just stupid. I like both, and agree that both have their strengths and weaknesses.
I like a PC when it's just ME time. But I like consoles for when its game time with my girl or other friends who come over often.
I like my good speaker set up on my PC, but I love my 7.1 surround sound set up for my PS3 which shakes the house.
But as time passes quicker and quicker as you age... I just can't justify putting that much time into my PC trying to "keep up". I have grown to love the simplicity that a console offers. I still like both equally. Due to the fact that they are both different in ways, but provide me with the same excitement and entertainment.
If you are chosing a side with electronics such as these, you are only losing out. Those who embrace the greatness of each, have more options to enjoy their entertainment with.

#118 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 16,611 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 26 January 2013 - 20:03

Console Vs PC is just stupid. I like both, and agree that both have their strengths and weaknesses.
I like a PC when it's just ME time. But I like consoles for when its game time with my girl or other friends who come over often.
I like my good speaker set up on my PC, but I love my 7.1 surround sound set up for my PS3 which shakes the house.
But as time passes quicker and quicker as you age... I just can't justify putting that much time into my PC trying to "keep up". I have grown to love the simplicity that a console offers. I still like both equally. Due to the fact that they are both different in ways, but provide me with the same excitement and entertainment.
If you are chosing a side with electronics such as these, you are only losing out. Those who embrace the greatness of each, have more options to enjoy their entertainment with.

Well said.
Pretty much my biggest reason for not gaming much these days on my PC (I have decided I am going to play both Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite on my PC) is at work, I sit in front of a computer all day. Last thing I want to do these days is come home, and sit in front of a computer some more.
And as pointed out, gaming from ones couch is a lovely, lovely thing. Yes, I can hook my beast of a PC tower up to my TV as well, but the thing is not really easy on the eyes, and my wife would not be that happy with this massive tower just sitting next to our entertainment center. Now once Valve's Steam Box comes out, I will be taking a very close look at it.
So consoles offer me the same exact gaming experience, and what I mean by that is once I choose start, I am enjoying the game exactly as much as I would on my PC even if it does in fact have nicer graphics, so take this fact into account with the fact I can sit on my couch, have a 7.1 sound system hooked up to a 55" TV, so yeah, console gaming servers me just fine. In fact, I may even prefer it these days just for the convenience and comfort that it allows. Does not mean I am anti gaming on a PC, just means for my personal preference, consoles are the better way to play.

#119 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 15,464 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 20:36

THAT is not a claim you can make, you can say that for yourself you get a better experience on your PC' you can not claim your PC experience is better than someone elses console experience, unless you're able to meld your mind with them and compare.

What are you talking about? My claim was that with a lesser PC than my current system I could still have a better gaming experience than consoles, which is objectively true. You can use a wireless X360 controller, plug the PC into a HDTV and have better quality visuals (higher resolution, better texture quality, anti-aliasing) at a higher framerate.

I know people who would have a better gaming experience on an old SNES than your fancy rig, PC

That's completely irrelevant to the point I was making, which was comparing the same games on different platforms.

Some people are graphics whores and will not be satisfied with anything but top end PC or Consoles for the first 3 months, others are more into the gameplay and don't care about the graphics, or let it have a secondary seat, and will only enjoy special games like jrpgs or such, others get their most joy out of old retro games.

It's not about being a "graphics ######" - it's about the PC producing an objectively better gaming experience. It's like choosing between caged-hen eggs and free-range organic eggs - if you're on a budget then caged-hen eggs are fine for a lot of people but most wouldn't opt for them if they had a choice.

I'd have to argue with that being a "very good" comparison video. Mainly because of the ridiculously high amount of compression artifacts plaguing it.

That's what makes the video all the more impressive, as the visual quality was obvious even in such a heavily compressed video!

But that's not a fair comparison, is it? The whole point of PC gaming is that you can upgrade and continually improve your gaming experience. You can't overlook one of the primary strengths of the platform. And as I said, if you buy a lot of games then the price difference isn't as substantial because of the mark-up on console games. You have a lower buy-in cost on console but you get a lesser experience, while paying more for games over the entire life of the console.

#120 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,286 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 20:59

What are you talking about? My claim was that with a lesser PC than my current system I could still have a better gaming experience than consoles, which is objectively true. You can use a wireless X360 controller, plug the PC into a HDTV and have better quality visuals (higher resolution, better texture quality, anti-aliasing) at a higher framerate.

No it's not, that's extremely subjective. YOU think you get a better experience that way, that doesn't mean everyone does.

gaming experience is a lot more than graphics. that's what you don't understand. all you think about is resolution and framerates.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!