Steam on Linux - Disappointing

My guess is that Valve are supporting Ubuntu simply because it's the most mainstream and commonly used Linux distro. Given the Linux predilection for having a gazillion competing alternatives for everything supporting multiple distributions right off the bat was never going to be realistic but I hope in future that they'll manage it without too much fuss.

Was surprised yesterday when I got in and saw Half Life Beta sitting in the library. Installed and started playing. That wasn't even ported to Mac!

Awaiting for CS 1.6 now, followed hopefully by Portal 2 :D

Ubuntu 13.04 looks really nice from the videos I've been watching. I might give the beta a try later this weekend. The last one I tried was 11.04. I've been using Fuduntu for the last week, but it doesn't play nice with Steam. Every time I launch Serious Sam 3 BFE my X crashes. Everything else about Fuduntu is perfect, IMO.

I must say I found the native steam client stupid on linux. It works and everything else but it won't let us to download any games besides the ones that were made for linux (we can't even download those that works 100% with wine). For now I'm using the windows client with wine and it's a lot better just for that single reason... But well, it's a start for valve, they should improve the service soon

I must say I found the native steam client stupid on linux. It works and everything else but it won't let us to download any games besides the ones that were made for linux (we can't even download those that works 100% with wine). For now I'm using the windows client with wine and it's a lot better just for that single reason... But well, it's a start for valve, they should improve the service soon

Yea, I'm hoping that Valve put "experimental" WINE options in the client. If a game works 100% in WINE, then I don't really care if its native or not as long as its transparent. It might also encourage game developers to contribute to WINE to get their games working.

well said!

wine is a great platform...it really shouldnt be used just as a second option... many apps already uses wine as they own "Linux version" such as teamviewer