Nexus 7 got SLOW

My originally quite snappy Nexus 7 has gotten extremely slow. Page swipe are very slow and so is bringing up the apps screen and swiping through it. Could this be a byproduct of rooting and if so can I unroot it? Can something else be causing it?

Upgrading to 4.2 noticeably decreased the performance on my Nexus 7. Even after reflashing and having 6GB+ space free, it really lags.

This. Though not all the time, my Nexus will have large lag spikes at certain times that wasn't present at all on 4.1.2.

Though it could be an app that you have just installed is taking too many resources and your Nexus is struggling, like Halfalive mentioned some widgets can have massive effects on performance.

this is due to a TRIM bug in 4.1.1.

Look for an app "ForeverGone" on the play store...and run it...it will take some time to complete (it will fill up your empty space). This will reset the TRIM related errors.

4.1.2 tried to fix this, though it's still not properly fixed in 4.2.1 (slight stutter at times, which is fixed by rebooting). Use this app to fix it for the time being: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grilledmonkey.lagfix&hl=en_GB

This will have to do till google fixes this ****-up.

The device has only 1/2 of it's internal memory used so it's not that. I also run the same widgets I have on my Nexus 10 and it's not this slow. I did remove my clock/weather widget but it did not help. I will that ForeverGone app..

this is due to a TRIM bug in 4.1.1.

Look for an app "ForeverGone" on the play store...and run it...it will take some time to complete (it will fill up your empty space). This will reset the TRIM related errors.

4.1.2 tried to fix this, though it's still not properly fixed in 4.2.1 (slight stutter at times, which is fixed by rebooting). Use this app to fix it for the time being: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grilledmonkey.lagfix&hl=en_GB

This will have to do till google fixes this ****-up.

I installed and ran ForeverGone and it indeed does seem to have restored my device speed, thanks V9! The only problem is that now when i try to add a widget back i get an error "launcher has stopped".

I installed and ran ForeverGone and it indeed does seem to have restored my device speed, thanks V9! The only problem is that now when i try to add a widget back i get an error "launcher has stopped".

Did you let forevergone run completely? (i.e. did it delete the dummy blank file that filled up the space)

Run https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grilledmonkey.lagfix&hl=en_GB as well, and then reboot your tablet.

Also, what Android version are you on?

Yes it ran a long time filling up used space and then it deleted it in about half a second. Android 4.2.1

I previously rooted my device and now Lagfix is saying "ROOT access not granted". Do I need to do it again (if I remember how lol)?.

Well, I am backing up and starting the root process over again. I really want to use that Lagfix tool. I have Nexus 4,7, and 10 and the 7 seems to be the only one (so far) suffering from this problem.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Droid.

Infinite power/customisation and ability for **** to go wrong >.<

Nice work on jumping in and fixing it though :)

I don't think I updated since that root but it's possible that I did 4.2.1 after it was rooted. I did do it last night though. By it wiping my data, do I even need lagfix anymore? lol

Nothing is wrong with your device. This is normal operating behavior of the Nexus 7.

This IS NOT the normal behavior of the Nexus 7 so hope no one fell for this garbage.

A lot of the time instead of fooling around with what is causing the lag, I will do a system restore and restore my data a little at a time until I find out what was causing the issue.