Subway Foot-Longs Coming Up Short

Having worked in Subway I figured it would be helpful to describe the bread making process.

The bread dough is delivered to the store in boxes, each of which contain about 80 frozen breadsticks. Each stick contains the same amount of dough, though there are some slight discrepancies in length. Each day frozen breadsticks are taken out to defrost. One issue with the length comes at the next stage, as the defrosted bread sticks are supposed to be stretched when transferred into the bread formers (for the flavoured breads the toppings are applied at this stage) - if the bread isn't fully defrosted when it's transferred then it won't stretch. After this they are proofed in a heated cabinet. When the bread reaches a certain size - which is determined by a template - it is cooked. Sometimes bread is underproofed - either because of an inexperienced member of staff or because it is very busy - in which case the bread will end up slightly smaller than it should. After the sandwich has been made it is wrapped, during which it is compressed slightly; further, if it was heated then the moisture causes the sandwich to shrink slightly.

The point is, you're always getting the same amount of bread. And the fillings are applied to a formula, so the amount of veg should always be consistent. I can understand why people feel mislead when a sandwich doesn't measure to exactly one-foot but there are so many variables that the size can't be guaranteed to that level of accuracy. The sandwich pictured was toasted, which causes it to shrink.

The way I see it, would you feel the same way if you paid for a gallon of gas, but only received 92% of that gallon? Same scenario here.

Actually, it's more like buying a book that's normally 180 pages long but your version is only 150 pages because it has smaller print. You're still getting the same content but it's just distributed differently. Complaining that you have less pages is missing the point.

^ Your local subway must be different.

I've had to remove the excess turkey slices, and shared them with my cat.

I agree there is too little cheese.

Blows my mind that this is even an issue.... gawd we're such fat asses.

1 inch short on a piece of bread that is mostly fluff but full of carbs... but you still get the same amount of meat and toppings as you would anyways. Who gives a ****.

Feel free to give me 8% of your income...as it's not an issue.

• Like 2

i always get too much toppings, i always ask for a lot and then i ask for more (since asking for a lot does absolutely nothing... lol)

one extra inch of break does not mean much to me. but i Still think they should fix it... a 12 inch should be a 12 inch.

Actually, it's more like buying a book that's normally 180 pages long but your version is only 150 pages because it has smaller print. You're still getting the same content but it's just distributed differently. Complaining that you have less pages is missing the point.
Actually it's more like buying a book called "180 Pages of Deliciousness (Guaranteed)" but your version has only 150 pages. The deliciousness is probably there as well but (a) the volume of advertised/contracted deliciousness is not the same as the received deliciousness (b) advertising quantities that you can not guarantee is a bad idea.
  • Like 2

I doubt this is some large short-change conspiracy. As has been discussed by the people who work at Subway, you're talking about something that has a ton of variables involved. You want bread that's a perfect 12"? Wait the extra time it takes for them to properly do everything. If you're eating at Subway I doubt you have either the time and/or money. There was one time I ate a sandwich from there and didn't even realize they had forgotten the meat until I went back the next time and they told me. With as mass-produced and mediocre quality as the food is, worrying about the size of your bread shouldn't be a concern.

So what is the point of having laws concerning false advertising?

Why have an official Weights and Measures department?

Sell and advertise something anyway you want and when called on it, accuse those complaining of whinging.

Trivial it may seem, but the laws are there for a reason.

Good point. I pay for a foot long - I expect to get a foot long (as advertised). I will remember about this next time I'm at Subway...

Having worked in Subway I figured it would be helpful to describe the bread making process.

The bread dough is delivered to the store in boxes, each of which contain about 80 frozen breadsticks. Each stick contains the same amount of dough, though there are some slight discrepancies in length. Each day frozen breadsticks are taken out to defrost. One issue with the length comes at the next stage, as the defrosted bread sticks are supposed to be stretched when transferred into the bread formers (for the flavoured breads the toppings are applied at this stage) - if the bread isn't fully defrosted when it's transferred then it won't stretch. After this they are proofed in a heated cabinet. When the bread reaches a certain size - which is determined by a template - it is cooked. Sometimes bread is underproofed - either because of an inexperienced member of staff or because it is very busy - in which case the bread will end up slightly smaller than it should. After the sandwich has been made it is wrapped, during which it is compressed slightly; further, if it was heated then the moisture causes the sandwich to shrink slightly.

The point is, you're always getting the same amount of bread. And the fillings are applied to a formula, so the amount of veg should always be consistent. I can understand why people feel mislead when a sandwich doesn't measure to exactly one-foot but there are so many variables that the size can't be guaranteed to that level of accuracy. The sandwich pictured was toasted, which causes it to shrink.

I was about to post something similar but I'll just quote this.

Customers are getting the exact same amount of bread, as well as filling, it's just not been stretched to 12".