australia measuring tapes 11 inches on-line photo

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,613 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 18:31

Haven't been to Subway in a very long time, but the places where I do get subs, they call the "foot-long" a whole sub, and a half a sub, a half. I would have thought Subway was doing the same.

#17 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• 3,014 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 20 January 2013 - 21:33

Blows my mind that this is even an issue.... gawd we're such fat asses.

1 inch short on a piece of bread that is mostly fluff but full of carbs... but you still get the same amount of meat and toppings as you would anyways. Who gives a ****.

im pretty sure its been obvious to many people that they are not foot longs... but think about it this way... I have eaten in my life well over 100 subways ... thats 100 inches I have been robbed of due to false advertisement... also how is the "I have one thanks" or "I could ask you the same thing" or the "il give you a foot long" pick up lines to the hot subway girl still valid if the subs are not a foot long ... is my life just a lie

#18 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

• 2,164 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 21:40

There's far worse things to worry about then being shorted an inch a foot-long sub. Geez!

#19 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 20 January 2013 - 21:43

My gfs get 12 inches all the time :)

On a serious note I gotta agree with

1 inch short on a piece of bread that is mostly fluff but full of carbs... but you still get the same amount of meat and toppings as you would anyways. Who gives a ****.

im pretty sure its been obvious to many people that they are not foot longs... but think about it this way... I have eaten in my life well over 100 subways ... thats 100 inches I have been robbed of due to false advertisement... also how is the "I have one thanks" or "I could ask you the same thing" or the "il give you a foot long" pick up lines to the hot subway girl still valid if the subs are not a foot long ... is my life just a lie

you lied the second you told her you had a foot long. Why worry about it now?

#20 +imachip

imachip

Neowinian

• 1,039 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 21:46

Heh interesting. Only time I get a foot long is to split it with a colleague.

What's far more annoying is getting the stingy salad woman, that adds only 3 olives and 2 slivers of lettuce.

#21 Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

• 999 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 21:47

Tbh this isnt an issue for me as long as they fill the sandwich with a decent amount of filling i dont mind losing an inch it just means there is a little less to work off at the end of the day, plus wht are they ment to do? Measure every bread stick and if its not 12" throw it out? Then people would complain that they are wasting perfectly good food if people have an issue with eating fresh food then maybe they should bugger off back to McDonalds where they get a smaller portion of everything other than fat and still feel hungry.

Some people moan about the stupidest things at times.

#22 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,932 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 21:52

Might have been 1ft before it was cut and toasted

But that's not how it's specified. Unless there's some fine print that I missed, it should be a 1ft long sub when it's finished.

Is it an issue economically? Yes, i've paid for it. I'm entitled to the product i've paid for.
Is it an issue food-wise? No - at least not for me... I don't need that much food! :p

#23 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• 10,042 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 21:54

What's far more annoying is getting the stingy salad woman, that adds only 3 olives and 2 slivers of lettuce.

Heh. I had one experience at Quizno's, when they decided to overload my sandwich. Ended up with a five-pound Turkey/Bacon/Guac. The poor bread put up a valiant but futile struggle and died a horrible, slimy death.

#24 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,625 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 21:56

Haven't been to Subway in a very long time, but the places where I do get subs, they call the "foot-long" a whole sub, and a half a sub, a half. I would have thought Subway was doing the same.

Except, if you look back at their advertisements, they actually had a measuring tape in on the ad. They are now claiming "footlong" is just an expression of approximate size. If that were truly the case, they would have left out the measuring tape as that is an indication of exact length.

By trimming just enough off that the general public would not notice, the company saves thousands per year.

#25 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,223 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 22:58

An inch doesn't matter ? Wait till subs shrink to 10 inches ... :shifty:

#26 billyea

billyea

Your Two Cents

• 2,052 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 23:01

An inch doesn't matter ? Wait till subs shrink to 10 inches ... :shifty:

FIVE DOLLAR FOOTLONGS*
(* length of human feet may differ from 2 inches to 12)

#27 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,835 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 20 January 2013 - 23:43

Having worked in Subway I figured it would be helpful to describe the bread making process.

The bread dough is delivered to the store in boxes, each of which contain about 80 frozen breadsticks. Each stick contains the same amount of dough, though there are some slight discrepancies in length. Each day frozen breadsticks are taken out to defrost. One issue with the length comes at the next stage, as the defrosted bread sticks are supposed to be stretched when transferred into the bread formers (for the flavoured breads the toppings are applied at this stage) - if the bread isn't fully defrosted when it's transferred then it won't stretch. After this they are proofed in a heated cabinet. When the bread reaches a certain size - which is determined by a template - it is cooked. Sometimes bread is underproofed - either because of an inexperienced member of staff or because it is very busy - in which case the bread will end up slightly smaller than it should. After the sandwich has been made it is wrapped, during which it is compressed slightly; further, if it was heated then the moisture causes the sandwich to shrink slightly.

The point is, you're always getting the same amount of bread. And the fillings are applied to a formula, so the amount of veg should always be consistent. I can understand why people feel mislead when a sandwich doesn't measure to exactly one-foot but there are so many variables that the size can't be guaranteed to that level of accuracy. The sandwich pictured was toasted, which causes it to shrink.

The way I see it, would you feel the same way if you paid for a gallon of gas, but only received 92% of that gallon? Same scenario here.

Actually, it's more like buying a book that's normally 180 pages long but your version is only 150 pages because it has smaller print. You're still getting the same content but it's just distributed differently. Complaining that you have less pages is missing the point.

#28 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,462 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 23:45

95% bread, 2 slices of meat, 1 quarter slice of cheese, and 2 olives = Subway....

#29 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,223 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 23:50

^ Your local subway must be different.

I've had to remove the excess turkey slices, and shared them with my cat.

I agree there is too little cheese.

#30 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,995 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 00:01

Feel free to give me 8% of your income...as it's not an issue.