Kim Dotcom's new Mega storage service is live

The site won't even load for me :/

Maybe it's just being hammered?

Try https:// that's how I got it to work in IE

I especially like this section, they are all like "Stick it to the Man" then they try to cover their ass in this part

huh? I don't understand... what did you think they were going to do?

Dotcom is simply rebuilting a service to replace what he feels was unlawfully taken down. It was never intended to openly be a "hey, upload all your copyright material here" website.

huh? I don't understand... what did you think they were going to do?

Dotcom is simply rebuilting a service to replace what he feels was unlawfully taken down. It was never intended to openly be a "hey, upload all your copyright material here" website.

of course not, all websites that want you to privately host your own content for yourself give you points for how many people you can get to download your stuff.

If this is going to be chrome only for now then I'll pass. Maybe when they add the support for the other browsers officially or whatever and it becomes more stable then I'll give it a try.

But Google and Mega want your information!!

/s

If I have to use chrome and firefox doesnt work then its a no go for me :( No wonder it has taken near 2 hours and not a single byte has transferred.

I hate chrome with a passion, it creates many copies of itself in task manager, at one stage when I tried it out there were 40 instances of the browser running in task manager, that is not acceptable.

registered, been awaiting confirmation email for about 20 minutes or so. :/

If I have to use chrome and firefox doesnt work then its a no go for me :( No wonder it has taken near 2 hours and not a single byte has transferred.

I hate chrome with a passion, it creates many copies of itself in task manager, at one stage when I tried it out there were 40 instances of the browser running in task manager, that is not acceptable.

Why you worried about just how many processes it has in Task Manager :s and no the upload issue is not Firefox its happening on Chrome too its like Mega been overloaded :p

Why does it matter? If he doesn't want to use chrome then he won't use chrome.

As for other browsers, I signed up and used it just fine in Win8 with IE10.

Becuase if they just used it for like, an hour or so that's not long enough to determine how good a browser is. I give browsers a month or more usage to judge them.

I've used it on and off since the start even used the less Google spyware loaded spinoff iron. I never liked it and it's not my main browser. Besides that I don't feel the need to install and use something I don't like in order to try a service out of simple curiosity. So as I said if or when mega expands it's support to the other browsers and is more stable I'll give it a try, maybe.

Thanks for telling me. Now what didn't you like about it?

To strengthen the key, we have collected entropy from your mouse movements and keystroke timings.

Can someone explain what this means please? Thanx.

Entropy is randomness, move your mouse around the screen like you're bored, and try to repeat the EXACT same movement again - you can't. Basically what it does is track where you move the mouse and uses that to make the encryption more 'random', because real random number generation on PCs is slow and psuedo-random number generation is pants.

• Like 3

Chrome uses multiprocess where each tab is a seperate process. Plugins are loaded as seperate processes as well. This means if one tab or plugin crashes it doesn't blow the whole house down. This is very good when purchasing stuff online or doing critical stuff. Firefox loads all tabs in one process.

Entropy is randomness, move your mouse around the screen like you're bored, and try to repeat the EXACT same movement again - you can't. Basically what it does is track where you move the mouse and uses that to make the encryption more 'random', because real random number generation on PCs is slow and psuedo-random number generation is pants.

Thanx n_k.

Chrome splits up tabs and plug-ins into multiple processes. You can see this by opening up the Task Manager in Chrome (right click tab bar -> Task Manager).

Close_Problem_Tabs_Using_Chrome_Task_Manager-01.png

There are a few reasons for this:

Stability - If a tab or plugin crashes, it doesn't take down the entire browser. Instead, you'll simply get a notification that a specific tab or plugin crashed, gives you the option to reload and you can continue as if nothing happened.

Chrome-tab-crash.png

Responsiveness - If a single process is stuck doing something, such as a tab running a script on a webpage, most of the time it won't freeze the entire browser. Furthermore, the multi-process nature of Chrome allows it to utilize multi-core processors, since each tab and plug-in can run on a separate core.

Security - A large part of the reason why Chrome is so secure is because it utilizes sandboxing. Besides for Chrome's own sandboxing technologies, running individual processes also allows it to leverage security facilities available in the host OS as well. This prevents each process from interacting with others and accessing resources it's not allowed to. So if malware infects the browser, it's isolated to a single process, so the sandbox and OS greatly limits the damage that the malware can do. I'm only aware of a couple of attacks that successfully bypassed all of the protections of Chrome.

Memory Leaks - One benefit that isn't mentioned so often, memory leaks are much less of an issue in Chrome. Why? Because once you close a tab, it kills that process thereby freeing up all of the RAM that process was using. The only way to get the same effect in Firefox is to restart the entire browser. While it's not an issue in the latest version, older versions of Firefox had large problems with memory leaks which could cause it to consume large amounts of RAM after running for a few hours or days (it largely depended on the extensions you had installed and how you used the browser).

Thanks for the replies on chrome, sadly all those processes were still running even when I had closed chrome down, so for me that is enough to avoid it. If I close an application down it should close every other instance of itself that it created.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies on chrome, sadly all those processes were still running even when I had closed chrome down, so for me that is enough to avoid it. If I close an application down it should close every other instance of itself that it created.

In Chrome advanced settings, check that the "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" is unchecked - maybe that will help.

The secure version of the link seems to work fine:

https://mega.co.nz/

Although I haven't managed to actually upload a file to this "file host" yet.

Page cannot be displayed for me. Plus, the site has been down since I tried a half an hour ago.

Tried to upload something using Chromium (not Chrome), still pending after an hour :/

Anybody managed to upload using Chromium or is this service related issues?