Posted 19 January 2013 - 21:02

they knew it though

#32 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,837 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 19 January 2013 - 21:02

Couldn't get it to start an upload of CM10.1 zip file - just sat there for 30mins.

#33 +BeLGaRaTh

BeLGaRaTh

Been here since year .

• 5,685 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 19 January 2013 - 21:08

Same here, tried for a few hours before it recognised my user/pass then try and upload a test file of 150bytes and it's sat there for over half an hour.

I registered for free, but I still want my money back :(

#34 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

• 2,164 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 21:11

I finally got logged in and this is what I get:

Warning: You are using an outdated browser, which adversely affects your file transfer performance. Please upgrade to Google Chrome.

I use Firefox ONLY.

#35 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 19 January 2013 - 21:17

Confirmed: Mega can only be used with Google Chrome...For now.

Source: http://thenextweb.co...we-go-hands-on/

#36 iascoot

iascoot

Neowinian

• 176 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 21:18

I finally got logged in and this is what I get:

Warning: You are using an outdated browser, which adversely affects your file transfer performance. Please upgrade to Google Chrome.

I use Firefox ONLY.

They list the reasons for this on the Mega Blog

#37 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,297 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 21:18

Something is fishy here

See, all of your files are encrypted locally before they're uploaded, so Mega has no idea what anything is.

That is from Gizmodo's review.

However, they have an option of

Skip identical files when uploading:

which would lead you to think there is some type of deduplication going on, and the same is mentioned in there terms

8. Our service may automatically delete a piece of data you upload or give someone else access to where it determines that that data is an exact duplicate of original data already on our service. In that case, you will access that original data.

So if all of your data encrypted prior to leaving your system, then deduplication isn't possible, since the hashes will all be different and impossible for Mega to match since as it says above, has no idea what anything is. Plus, how is my data "encrypted locally" I'm not running any type of client that is creating the encryption and tying it to my private key, and I know Chrome isn't doing it. On top of that, how is sharing working with other users, how does mega share it with a link i give them, if it's encrypted and they don't have the private key.

I'm calling shenanigans

#38 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

• 2,164 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 21:19

Yeah, I read that. But I forgot till now. Grrr!!!

#39 Silpheed2K

Silpheed2K

Neowinian

• 299 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 21:21

Surprised to see this many people responding to the announcement of this service. Either the media coverage brought a whole lot of people on board or this service was very popular before hand, and not just in certain communities.

#40 iascoot

iascoot

Neowinian

• 176 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 21:24

Has anyone seen how much bandwidth the free accounts get?
I understand you get 50GB Storage, but haven't seen it mentioned anywhere how much bandwidth you can use

#41 Carbon Fiber

Carbon Fiber

Neowinian Senior

• 1,601 posts
  • Phone: Android 4.4.2

Posted 19 January 2013 - 21:39

Can't even open the page here... :(

#42 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,297 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 21:42

Can't even open the page here... :(

https

#43 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• 803 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 19 January 2013 - 21:57

People should quit complaining about how slow it is, we get it, its slow!
It's getting absolutely hammered right now, give it a day or so then try it out.
They wont have capacity for this many users at once, apart from the first while after launch, there will never be this many, so its not worth the infrastructure costs.

I'd like to know about the points raised above, very good thinking there xendrom. How can it be encrypted locally? It sure sounds like it from their FAQ pages.

All encryption is end-to-end. Data uploaded is encrypted on the uploading device before it is sent out to the Internet, and data downloaded is decrypted only after it has arrived on the downloading device.

https://mega.co.nz/#help_security

All files stored on MEGA are encrypted. All data transfers from and to MEGA are encrypted. And while most cloud storage providers can and do claim the same, MEGA is different – unlike the industry norm where the cloud storage provider holds the decryption key, with MEGA, you control the encryption, you hold the keys, and you decide who you grant or deny access to your files, without requiring any risky software installs. It’s all happening in your web browser!"

https://mega.co.nz/#privacycompany

Also found this on how can they know if something is a duplicate if everything is encrypted locally and they dont know the keys?

Because the server can't see filenames, filename collisions have to be dealt with on the client side. With standard settings, if you upload a file that you already seem to have in your account (same target path/filename, same size, same last modification time), it is skipped, but nothing prevents you from keeping multiple files or folders with the same name in the same folder.

Lastly, this is a little scary from their t&c page.

5. If you allow others to access your data (e.g. by, amongst other things, giving them a link to, and a key to decrypt, that data), in addition to them accepting these terms, you are responsible for their actions and omissions while they are using the website and services and you agree to fully indemnify us for any claim, loss, damage, fine, costs (including our legal fees) and other liability if they breach any of these terms.

Be careful who you give keys to and to what you give them keys for. I guess if they pass it on, you, the uploader are going to be held accountable

#44 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

• 3,702 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 22:08

Info about non-chrome browsers not working with MEGA here: https://mega.co.nz/#blog_1

Mozilla CEO said this about MEGA not working with firefox:

The "Filesystem API" (http://www.w3.org/TR/file-system-api/) is *not* part of "HTML5" and not near w3 REC status. See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012OctDec/0491.html

#45 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 18,615 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 19 January 2013 - 22:11

If this is going to be chrome only for now then I'll pass. Maybe when they add the support for the other browsers officially or whatever and it becomes more stable then I'll give it a try.