New York (CNN) -- Things a 7-year-old boy expects Mom to put in his backpack: A peanut butter sandwich. Pencils. Maybe even a nice note with a little heart scrawled on it.

Things he doesn't: a flare gun, a .22-caliber pistol, a loaded magazine and, for good measure, 14 more bullets in a plastic bag.

But that's exactly what a second-grader had inside his Batman backpack Thursday morning when he arrived at Wave Preparatory Elementary School in Far Rockaway in Queens, Police Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne said Friday.

The mom, Deborah Farley, 53, told police she had been, according to Browne, "out walking the streets of Queens late Wednesday night" with the guns in her son's backpack and she forgot to take them out.

She rushed back to school after dropping him off Thursday and asked the boy what he'd done with the gun, Browne said.

When the boy told her he'd handed it over to a classmate, she finally came clean to administrators, who put the school on lockdown and called police.

As it turns out, the boy had given away the flare gun, but police found the pistol, the loaded magazine and the bag of bullets still in his bag, according to Browne.

Nobody was hurt, but police arrested Farley on Friday on charges of endangering the welfare of a child and criminal possession of a firearm. The pistol was unlicensed, Browne said.

A search of the woman's home found more ammunition and seven plastic bags of marijuana, Browne said.

Child protective workers took the boy and his 9-year-old brother into custody, he said.

source

Yeah, sure. She walks around town late at night with a Batman backpack that she has filled with guns and ammo. Given recent events, I'd be more inclined to believe that she did it because she wanted her child to be safe and protected in the school. Of course, once she had a reality check she realised the bad move she had made and tried to correct it. I'm pro marijuana, but even I know that sometimes some thoughts I have are best reviewed in a more sober state before following through.

That said, I'm only going off the information that this article provides. Maybe she has her own Batman backpack and got them muddled up accidentally. It's still no excuse for an unlicenced firearm.

• Like 2

Yeah, sure. She walks around town late at night with a Batman backpack that she has filled with guns and ammo. Given recent events, I'd be more inclined to believe that she did it because she wanted her child to be safe and protected in the school. Of course, once she had a reality check she realised the bad move she had made and tried to correct it. I'm pro marijuana, but even I know that sometimes some thoughts I have are best reviewed in a more sober state before following through.

That said, I'm only going off the information that this article provides. Maybe she has her own Batman backpack and got them muddled up accidentally. It's still no excuse for an unlicenced firearm.

I dont think so ... surely no one can be that stupid to think a 7 year old could correctly use a gun f... and to bad for the kids

What's the problem? I thought this is what America wanted? More guns in the school!

So when are you going to start spouting about it this time?

I dont think so ... surely no one can be that stupid to think a 7 year old could correctly use a gun f... and to bad for the kids

I think 7yo is old enough to handle guns? no? At least according to gun nuts.

^ The question is, does the kid know how to put the bullets in ... ? :shifty: Would make for an exciting show-and-tell.

Well find a hole and insert it.....not too hard....

ehehe

New York (CNN) -- Things a 7-year-old boy expects Mom to put in his backpack: A peanut butter sandwich. Pencils. Maybe even a nice note with a little heart scrawled on it.

As it turns out, the boy had given away the flare gun, but police found the pistol, the loaded magazine and the bag of bullets still in his bag, according to Browne.

It's good they found the gun and all, but do we have any confirmation that there was a peanut butter sandwich involved at all?

These days you can get in just as much trouble bringing those to school.