Do you play an instrument ?

I used to take Piano lessons when I was young and wish I had kept it up, I still teach myself the odd tune I hear and like but its not as easy to learn pieces now as it was when I was younger, and unless I really study youtube tutorials I always end up learning it completely wrong

I don't read music, I play by ear

Anyone else ?

I started with playing the guitar when I was 12-13 years old. I played few years then switched to drums when I was 17 years old. I had lessons for a year. We had a metal band and started making our own songs. I think I played the drums for 6 years and it's still my dream to buy a Roland V-drum kit.

I started playing Violin 1.5 years ago, and having a blast with it. I'm taking lessons once a week from an incredible teacher, who also plays with Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. I'm bloody old for something like this btw, I was 30 when I started. I had never read music/sheet before, now I'm learning everything and it's just amazing. I'm just feeling stupid that I didn't start this earlier, so much time lost, but it's incredible fun. I just started playing Canon in Minor D by Pachelbel from start to end, in a very slow way.

I started with playing the guitar when I was 12-13 years old. I played few years then switched to drums when I was 17 years old. I had lessons for a year. We had a metal band and started making our own songs. I think I played the drums for 6 years and it's still my dream to buy a Roland V-drum kit.

I started playing Violin 1.5 years ago, and having a blast with it. I'm taking lessons once a week from an incredible teacher, who also plays with Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. I'm bloody old for something like this btw, I was 30 when I started. I had never read music/sheet before, now I'm learning everything and it's just amazing. I'm just feeling stupid that I didn't start this earlier, so much time lost, but it's incredible fun. I just started playing Canon in Minor D by Pachelbel from start to end, in a very slow way.

Love Canon in D, one of my favourite pieces for the Piano / Strings / anything, I can play 'my version' of it on the piano, in C lol

I was young when I taught myself and everything I learned was in C

I took violin lessons at school but we had a really sh*tty teacher who shouted about everything so I quit, when I watch people like Vanessa Mae it makes me want to learn again though

Love Canon in D, one of my favourite pieces for the Piano / Strings / anything, I can play 'my version' of it on the piano, in C lol

I was young when I taught myself and everything I learned was in C

I took violin lessons at school but we had a really sh*tty teacher who shouted about everything so I quit, when I watch people like Vanessa Mae it makes me want to learn again though

Vanessa Mae is really great. There are few violinists I'm checking once in a while on youtube. Also the teacher makes such a huge difference. I have always been a bad teacher, so I'm much more impressed with good teachers, I was amazed how patient my teacher was. If not for her I would have stopped learning the violin a while ago.

When I was looking for a teacher I had sent her an email explaining that I'm 30 years old and probably not a fast learner compared to kids, and my whole goal is to play canon in minor D (an addiction I had for the last 12 years thanks to a bonus material in Evangelion dvd). She had told me that I would be surprised to hear at how many people start the same way.

Vanessa Mae is really great. There are few violinists I'm checking once in a while on youtube. Also the teacher makes such a huge difference. I have always been a bad teacher, so I'm much more impressed with good teachers, I was amazed how patient my teacher was. If not for her I would have stopped learning the violin a while ago.

When I was looking for a teacher I had sent her an email explaining that I'm 30 years old and probably not a fast learner compared to kids, and my whole goal is to play canon in minor D (an addiction I had for the last 12 years thanks to a bonus material in Evangelion dvd). She had told me that I would be surprised to hear at how many people start the same way.

It is an inspirational piece so it makes sense

These guys call themselves "The Piano Guys" but they play a range of instruments and play with some talented people too, you might enjoy some of their work

Here is one I found with violin

Used to play the recorder when I was in elementary school - I remember playing "Jingle Bells" on it.

I wished the recorder have extra holes for lower and higher notes, but it can go up to high D and go down to low C.

My sister used to play the French horn though.

I used to take Piano lessons when I was young and wish I had kept it up, I still teach myself the odd tune I hear and like but its not as easy to learn pieces now as it was when I was younger, and unless I really study youtube tutorials I always end up learning it completely wrong

I don't read music, I play by ear

Anyone else ?

I know it's hard to learn the scales and arpeggios, lol.

It is an inspirational piece so it makes sense

These guys call themselves "The Piano Guys" but they play a range of instruments and play with some talented people too, you might enjoy some of their work

Here is one I found with violin

I love the piano guys, I bought their Canon in D version on itunes :)

I improvised the tune for this slideshow of my dog, I started with the guitar, just playing melodic phrases, and added each other instrument, one take at a time, completely improvised throughout,

Its a bit cheesey though, played for others rather than me....

http://youtu.be/n5DGjqMi6Ok

Sounds really nice, almost Celtic if that is the right spelling (Sounds like K) Really relaxing music

I could happily listen to that on the nights I can't sleep, I have really bad sleeping problems and always looking for anything relaxing, if you release any more let me know :)

Hope that was not just a memory of your dog, is he/she still around ?

Rocksmith.

While it doesn't teach you how to 'hear' and play by 'ear', it is a great tool to aid in learning at least the basics of playing the guitar.

If you're looking to pickup and learn an instrument, give rocksmith a go and if you're pretty good at some of the songs maybe get a few lessons from a teacher to improve.

Sounds really nice, almost Celtic if that is the right spelling (Sounds like K) Really relaxing music

I could happily listen to that on the nights I can't sleep, I have really bad sleeping problems and always looking for anything relaxing, if you release any more let me know :)

Hope that was not just a memory of your dog, is he/she still around ?

Thank you very much, thats most appreciated :), yup the mutt is still around, he's 14 months old, so still got loads of puppy madness :D

I got guitar lessons as a kid, but didnt really understand it, The teacher was classical/spanish guitar and I just wanted the Led Zep sound ha ha... so I never got past scales,

I took up playing synth in later life, and played in several bands, recording/radio/tv, but nver in a way that I felt musically "comfortable" with,

I've got a stack of punkish-electro-gash online on the torrents and youtube,

More recently I've done twenty tracks "punk-folk-rock-pop" with a view to putting an album on itunes, but cant get motivated to tag and label my music to "the machine".....

Its anti-machine heh...

http://youtu.be/tBSucin4bm8

I play the Saxophone, although I haven't picked it up for a while now. I also tried getting in to the guitar, but my teacher wasn't the best (great musician, just a poor teacher) so I quickly ended up putting that down.

These days the music I make comes in the form of error noises from client's machines...

Me too. What type do you play?

Alto. I was thinking about going for something else though, if I decide to get back to music. Probably a tenor sax, as I love me some jazz!

How about you?

I got a guitar when I was 15 and took a few lessons but I just found it hard to fit in time to practice, 20 now though and I've started taking regular lessons from a friend and practice an hour most days :)

Alto. I was thinking about going for something else though, if I decide to get back to music. Probably a tenor sax, as I love me some jazz!

How about you?

Also Alto, and I was thinking about buying a Soprano as well but I don't have that sort of disposable cash right now.

I play the Saxophone, although I haven't picked it up for a while now.

Can you play Diagnosis Murder?

I was sure it was a deeper sax that played it but can only find this

Can you play Diagnosis Murder?

I could be wrong (I've never watched DM) but I'm pretty sure that is a Clarinet playing the music. ;) I guess you could play it on a saxophone though.

I could be wrong (I've never watched DM) but I'm pretty sure that is a Clarinet playing the music. ;) I guess you could play it on a saxophone though.

I'm sure it has been played by a sax on the shows that air here, that's why I went looking for it but could only find the Clarinet version :)

I remember wanting to learn the sax just for that song lol

I. like many others in their teens, got to playing guitar. My first was a Fender Mustang, my last a Fender Stratocaster. Then as I got older I decided to take organ lessons. To this day I hit the keyboards just about every day.