• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 10,761 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:45

I personally use Michelins. Never had a problem with them over 14 years of driving (not on the same set of tires of course). They cost a little more but I think it's worth it for the safety and smooth ride. I'm due for another set next year and I'm pretty sure they'll also be Michelins.

#17 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:18

Kumho Kh17 - Very bad grip
Pirelli P7 - Bad grip, wear quickly
Firestone FH700 - Poor grip, nasty aqua planning
Bridgestone turanza serenity - lasted me less than a year with "normal" driving
Federal really cheap mexican brand can't even remember model.
Good year GPS3 - Expensive and very weird handling, something like to soft side wall if IIRC.

Fair enough, those are all pretty terrible tires. :laugh:

Conversely, I had some Falkens that were great... for about 10,000 miles. I also had some Hankook RS2 tires which were dirt cheap and made the car handle like a slot car.

There's not such a thing as good all seasons when you stay in canada.

Nokian WRG2 tires. Only all seasons that are snow rated. If they're good enough for Finland, they're good enough for Canada.

#18 abecedarian paradoxious

abecedarian paradoxious

cell tech

• 1,289 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:24

My wife wants to know why you say 'tyre' but don't say 'wyre' or 'wyfe'.

#19 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 15,882 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:53

Conversely, I had some Falkens that were great... for about 10,000 miles. I also had some Hankook RS2 tires which were dirt cheap and made the car handle like a slot car.

Nokian WRG2 tires. Only all seasons that are snow rated. If they're good enough for Finland, they're good enough for Canada.

Oh man... you've no idea how hard it is to get a decent pair of rubbers in honduras, central america! Those brands and models are everywhere and anywhere, it seems, they said "oh lets send all our stock over there"! But you find a niche place keeping decent tires and you have to buy them in a heart beat, I kid you not, people here have no idea that different tires for different weather, roads, temperature, loads, etc... they just sell "all round" crap like there's no tomorrow.

@abecedarian
potato potatoe... seriously...

#20 sagum

sagum

Unicorn Doctor

• 1,830 posts
  • Phone: LG E900 & Lumia` 610/520/920

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:19

Well, I've been living under a rock. Didn't know you UK guys preferred the word "tyre" over "tire". Interesting.

http://en.wikipedia....gy_and_spelling

Hmm. I bet it's because the English use the Queen's English and not Amanicaneese :)

Honestly though jokes aside... proper English is actual English that everyone has been using for a long time, and so have the Americans. Its only recently 100 years that America has started to use the simplified spelling of English words.

A bit more information over here http://history1900s..../trspelling.htm

#21 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• 7,800 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 15:45

I had crappy falkens too, nothing like being able to spin tires at 60 mph with 200hp.

#22 +OOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOO

Neowinian Senior

• 2,348 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 15:52

Do some research and spend the money you have to spend. Do not buy cheap hard low grade tyres. This is your, or someone elses life. No one should be allowed to scrimp on car parts of this nature.

Because that's the language :) You guys are spelling things wrong is all :)

#23 neoraptor

neoraptor

Neowinian

• 648 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 15:57

Check ADAC's reviews they are quite accurate. There are expensive tires that don't perform as well as mid-priced, personally i stay away from the cheapest ones.
Also choose a tire depending on your usual usage (mainly wet, etc).
And another thing, it is model specific, like michelin has bad models and kumho has good ones.

#24 OP peacemf

peacemf

T Fizz - now with more bubbles!

• 2,888 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 19:04

went with the expensive ones, Michelin primacy 3 or something, 225/55/16 £590 for 4 :(
there goes my weekend hook up with me b*tches :(

#25 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,233 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 23 January 2013 - 20:54

There's not such a thing as good all seasons when you stay in canada.

Canada is probably like Norway, our Winter tires, are completely different from those of other places. EU just introduced a EU quality marking for winter tires. all the tires that get A+ on that are horrible in Norway, As they're based on "european" weather, which means little snow, mostly rain and cold, and what snow there is is wet. Meanwhile Norways winter roads are Snow, ice, and Compacted snow(that can be even more slippery than black ice), and of course, ice with various types of snow on top. which requires completely different type of winter tires, tires that happen to get a D or less, on the EU grading :)

I'd probably never buy all seasons, not even if I lived further down in Europe. they're worse in every condition than summer and winter tires, and it's worth it changing tires twice a year. though I guess people in Nevada and Mexico would be fine with summer tires all year round :p

#26 Liquidfox

Liquidfox

Neowinian

• 110 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 22:24

went with the expensive ones, Michelin primacy 3 or something, 225/55/16 £590 for 4 :(
there goes my weekend hook up with me b*tches :(

Ouch! Very odd tyre size means they're really expensive! I get Goodyear Eagle F1 A2's (Ultra High Performance summer tyre in 225/40/18) for £185 less than that!

#27 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,983 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 22:28

Normally people say not to go cheap on tyres.
After my last sting in the wallet for my BMW, I decided to go cheap...

Best. Decision. Ever.

I got a set of Hankook K110 tyres, and they are brilliant. (Y)

#28 Rippleman

Rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,999 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 22:34

as with everything, there is a point of diminishing return on investment. A $200 tire will not perform 4X as good as a $50 tire. Pick one suited for your environment and stick around $100 per/tire for the sweet spot. i have never seen tyre before. I though it was a typo or teenager lingo too.

If you want THEE best deal, see a couple places about some used sets. Sometimes for odd reasons people buy a new vehicle, and replace the tires right away with ones they prefer, you could get a screaming good deal that way. Sometimes 50% the cost for 95%+ life left.