Photo

Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 8...?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Fid

Fid

Do I know you?

Posted 20 January 2013 - 15:17

Hey all,

Just wanted to double check something here... I am correct in understanding that MSE is not available for Windows 8... and that the Windows Defender is basically the same application (i.e. it will provide virus protection, not just malware/spyware like defender on Windows 7)?

I currently have Kaspersky 2013, but my license expires soon, as I've heard good stuff about MSE, I've thought of just running that (well, Defender if it's the same in W8) and Windows Firewall, and that should be enough for good virus protection right?

:D

#2 Tony.

Tony.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 January 2013 - 15:22

MSE is builtin now.

#3 OP Fid

Fid

Do I know you?

Posted 20 January 2013 - 15:23

Brilliant, cheers, just wanted to confirm that!

#4 syobon999

syobon999

Neowinian

Posted 20 January 2013 - 18:11

Poorly built-in btw
no network protection and other modules are missing.

#5 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 20 January 2013 - 18:18

According to a lot of people their systems have sped up once installing another Antivirus onto Windows 8. I'm not a big fan of MSE full stop though

#6 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 20 January 2013 - 18:38

According to a lot of people their systems have sped up once installing another Antivirus onto Windows 8. I'm not a big fan of MSE full stop though

PPOR

#7 Zoom7000

Zoom7000

The Ankle Breaker

• Phone: iPhone 6 Plus

Posted 20 January 2013 - 18:51

Poorly built-in btw
no network protection and other modules are missing.

Have to agree here! Can't believe they never even added a right click "Scan with Windows Defender" option! Terribly built in. I hope they update it soon!

#8 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 20 January 2013 - 19:02

For a built-in AV I think it's fine. I have had it detect malware and antivirus'. I'm OK with it's transparency.

#9 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 19:11

Have to agree here! Can't believe they never even added a right click "Scan with Windows Defender" option! Terribly built in. I hope they update it soon!

http://www.guidingte...8-context-menu/

;)

#10 ZakO

ZakO

Neowinian

Posted 20 January 2013 - 19:15

http://www.guidingte...8-context-menu/

;)

Scans via command line popup which isn't ideal because you don't get to see the feedback. Is there any way to get it to behave like MSE did and display the GUI?

#11 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 19:24

Scans via command line popup which isn't ideal because you don't get to see the feedback. Is there any way to get it to behave like MSE did and display the GUI?

Does have feedback, but only when something is discovered. Better than nothing :)

#12 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 6 128GB

Posted 21 January 2013 - 14:23

According to a lot of people their systems have sped up once installing another Antivirus onto Windows 8. I'm not a big fan of MSE full stop though.

Ah yes, *THOSE* people, the same people who can take a rock solid stable computer and make it BSOD in under 5 seconds. Please, 9/10 when I hear whining about MSE it is from someone who has screwed up their computer beyond belief.

#13 Neu B

Neu B

Neowinian

Posted 21 January 2013 - 14:34

Ah yes, *THOSE* people, the same people who can take a rock solid stable computer and make it BSOD in under 5 seconds. Please, 9/10 when I hear whining about MSE it is from someone who has screwed up their computer beyond belief.

That Is So True!! *THOSE* people couldn't get themselves out of a wet paper bag.

#14 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 21 January 2013 - 14:44

I have to think that they left out some bits from MSE in defender for windows 8 so the rest of the antivirus companies didn't cry antitrust.

#15 Seketh

Seketh

Neowinian

Posted 21 January 2013 - 14:52

I have to think that they left out some bits from MSE in defender for windows 8 so the rest of the antivirus companies didn't cry antitrust.

x2. Could potentially be viewed as a monopolistic move and regulators would heavily fine Microsoft.

Still, would be nice if they made them available as na optional download or something.

Not that I need it. I'm using the HOSTS file to block all unwanted traffic (pretty cool, check it out: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm) and I'm very careful with the stuff I download and execute, so built-in MSE seems to be enough for me.