Photo

Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 8...?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 January 2013 - 23:23

Ah yes, *THOSE* people, the same people who can take a rock solid stable computer and make it BSOD in under 5 seconds. Please, 9/10 when I hear whining about MSE it is from someone who has screwed up their computer beyond belief.

Not at all. My computer hardly ever crashes, I just dislike MSE because it's always seemed to me to be a resource hog.

#32 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S 'Space Grey' (64GB)

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:20

Not at all. My computer hardly ever crashes, I just dislike MSE because it's always seemed to me to be a resource hog.

How do you refine 'resource hog'? I've just had a look on 'Task Manager' and fail to see where the hog actually is. Ever thought that maybe there is something else at fault?

#33 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:46

[First off, a disclaimer: I work at a competitor to Microsoft in the anti-malware space, so please keep that bias in mind when reading my reply. AG]

Hello,

As far as core features like prevention and removal goes, Microsoft's anti-malware line (Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender, Forefront/Intune) are fairly decent choices.

Where the free offerings tend to fall down are on the features like configurability (high-granularity of features), remote management, centralized logging and so forth. There's also a matter of things like design philosophies (what techniques and technologies the company uses in architecting its software), employee allocation (which affects the product in various ways), threat prioritization and the like which make subtle (but often noticeable) difference in how an anti-malware program operates.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I have to think that they left out some bits from MSE in defender for windows 8 so the rest of the antivirus companies didn't cry antitrust.

#34 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:49

MSE was only ever a resource hog in XP, in Vista and 7 it has been just fine

#35 Flatval

Flatval

Neowinian

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:11

In my experience, MSE and the Defender in win8 both use way less resources than anything else I've tried.

As many people have pointed out, why would you need to manually scan a file, since it is:
- Scanned upon download / creation
- Scanned when you go into the folder in explorer
- Before it is opened/executed both through explorer, windows start menu, windows run dialog or through other programs directly

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!