Photo

Macs in the work place.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 +OOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOO

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 January 2013 - 13:34

We're almost entirely Mac based. Most people are happy about it. Not just the designers, but all the coders too. And the marketing dept. We're almost exclusively running Mac's. Our in house server is a Mac too. We simply have no issue running them. The design department all have Retina Mac's and 27 inch Thunderbolt screens. I wouldn't go back to Windows even if the company did. I'd stick with what I use.

#17 danwpe

danwpe

Neowinian

Posted 21 January 2013 - 13:41

All design use MAC where I work, no dev uses MAC but one Front End DEV wants to use MAC. I don't see much a problem with mixing it up but out IT manager might.

#18 OP tim_s

tim_s

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s

Posted 22 January 2013 - 22:05

We use to have mac's the server technicians after a period of time could upgrade from a windows machine to a mac but a large percentage (Especially the Red Hat technicians) just swap Windows straight to Linux. I offered Macs for the design department before the departments where separated - the idea was entertained but in the end - never became a reality.

I do not think you would be limited by much in an all Mac environment but differences exist non-the-less. Developers for example use Windows because this is what our primary customer base is using.

#19 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:41

Yep, I've seen a new political party here go all Mac, and the following week I have visited their place they were converted to PCs. Apparently the platform used to manage the party was much less expensive on PCs, which I find kind of hard to believe since it was a website. An ASP.NET website, but a website nonetheless. They could have had only one PC as a server, and their ASP website hosted there if they wanted to.

As for me, even though Apple products make me much more confident and happy in my work (thanks for the clean, lean and colorful OS with skeuomorphism where I don't feel like I'm on another planet when doing virtual work), I would NEVER convert a company from PCs to Macs if they had engineers internally. It's not made for mechanical, civil and electrical engineering right now, to be more particular. I'm an industrial, and in some projects I will use my Mac because it's just fine, but in other projects I do need to use the PC laptop they gave me.

As for general Work, Office 2011 is not quite there yet, and iWork '09 is a total joke. Bring on the '13 or '14 version at this point already.

When $15 Pixelmator 2.2 will be out will Layer Styles, it will probably make a bunch of people switch though (NOT engineers). At this point it's almost better to invest $500 more on a powerful computer than on an app with a slow PC.

#20 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:53

My company has always been a PC infrastructure workplace with the exception of me running the computers for a few years. I used a Linux box as a file/web/database server. But all of our employees worked in windows.

Now we have a more qualified full time guy to handle IT and he setup a Windows Server system.

We are allowed to bring in our own stuff to use at work such as a Mac but don't ask for support on it.

I feel comfortable working in either but most of the software my company has purchased for me is Windows only so that is what I use :).

I like coming home and using my Mac though. I like that it is different.

#21 CrashGordon

CrashGordon

The Perfect Threesome: Lime, Salt & Tequila

• Phone: Jackson JS3 Kelly Bird IV through a Fender Rumble 150. Can ya hear me now?

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:09

I remember visiting my moms office (it was a commercial printing co.) Foote&Davies>American Signature>Quebecor back in the late 80's. The art/graphics dept were using Quark Express on Macs (I was using a modded Amiga A500) and the IBM System 38 was a reel-to-reel setup. I remember when they got a auto-tape setup (aka Hackers Tv station takeover scene).

I went from the Amiga OS (which was quite a bit like Apple OS) to DOS/Win3.1

#22 Quikboy

Quikboy

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 810

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:05

When $15 Pixelmator 2.2 will be out will Layer Styles, it will probably make a bunch of people switch though (NOT engineers). At this point it's almost better to invest $500 more on a powerful computer than on an app with a slow PC.

I'm really hoping they'll make a Windows version at some point. Their app has way too much potential to be restricted to just OS X.

#23 vhane

vhane

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:32

I'm really hoping they'll make a Windows version at some point. Their app has way too much potential to be restricted to just OS X.

I can't see that happening. It's a Cocoa app through and through.

#24 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:44

Another reason why Macs don't get adopted in enterprises is Mail :
See here

And yes, Pixelmator relies on specific OS X-only frameworks. It wouldn't be possible on a PC. Plus, the team is composed of 2-3 guys that only know Xcode and Objective-C and Cocoa.