legatum prosperity index london think tank 142 countries

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 19:34

Happiness is relative and subjective, and, it's just the title. What they've actually measured is nation's prosperity and factored in wealthfare-state social programs.

Sweden has a school voucher system, low corporate tax rate, and they have a public health care, system but its decentralized so most of the management is at the city level (like city hospitals in the US -- which do get support from state govt's, btw). Swedes also have to buy all their liquor through a government monopoly, Systembolaget.

Ireland, on the list, has a ban on abortion, except in cases where a mother's life is at risk.

Yet the accompanying article wants to claim all these countries are pretty liberal. Most of what Americans know about European gov't are stereotypes and cliches.

By the way the most common thing about the countries on the list is most of them are either monarchies or are part of a monarchial commonwealth.

#32 +Yorak

Yorak

Insubordinate

• 3,409 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 19:43

That attitude right there is EXACTLY what is wrong with your country.

Oh yeah? Tell me more, please.

#33 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:34

Sweden has a school voucher system, low corporate tax rate, and they have a public health care, system but its decentralized so most of the management is at the city level (like city hospitals in the US -- which do get support from state govt's, btw). Swedes also have to buy all their liquor through a government monopoly, Systembolaget.

Ireland, on the list, has a ban on abortion, except in cases where a mother's life is at risk.

Yet the accompanying article wants to claim all these countries are pretty liberal. Most of what Americans know about European gov't are stereotypes and cliches.

I did not know that. Opened my eyes for sure.

#34 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,647 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:37

I thought Disneyland was the happiest country ...

#35 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

• 4,282 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:49

Happiest Place :)

Posted Image

#36 phunkymunky

phunkymunky

Neowinian

• 287 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:07

If Australia wasn't so damned expensive for everything (and I mean EVERYTHING!), I'm sure we'd be higher on the list...