It's a common belief that over time, pet owners start to look like their animals, and vice versa. Now comes the terrifying news that cats look up to their owners as role models and mimic their behavior.

Next time you reach for that Krispy Kreme, think twice. If Ruffles is watching, she may be prone to overeating as well.

In a new study from the University of Messina, it turns out that cats who live intimately with their owners (indoor cats that live in a small space) "mirror" the lives of their caregivers. They sleep at the same time, eat at the same time, and can even become more or less social depending on the behavior of their owners.

"Cats are intelligent animals with a long memory," Jane Brunt, veterinarian and the executive director of the CATalyst Council, told Discovery News. "They watch and learn from us, (noting) the patterns of our actions, as evidenced by knowing where their food is kept and what time to expect to be fed, how to open the cupboard door that's been improperly closed, and where their feeding and toileting areas are."

Because cats mimic our habits, if you spend a lot of time raiding the fridge, your cat will return to its food bowl for that midnight snack, too. According to the study, this explains why "human and cat obesity rates often seem to match." So, if you felt guilty about leaving your precious kitty at home while you go to work, now you can feel even worse: You are making your cat fat! :cat:

more

its true. Every night when I go to bed no matter what my cat is doing when I shut off my light and lay down in bed she goes to her bed that I have for her in my room and stays there till I get up the next day lol

This sounds familiar... Many times i'd go and play WoW and my cat used to hop up and watch me play...

On the odd occasion he was found sitting on the chair waiting for me to come home. :)