Durango (next Xbox) specs leak

As we promised during the weekend in the next weeks we will unveil Durango and Orbis. All the technical info you want to know about the next generation machines from Sony and Microsoft.

The first one is Durango. In this article we present the system overview with the general components and some technical details about them.

How are durango components connected?

Here you can see the Durango system block diagram:

Durango Arquitecture

Let?s check what?s inside the box:

CPU:

- x64 Architecture

- 8 CPU cores running at 1.6 gigahertz (GHz)

- each CPU thread has its own 32 KB L1 instruction cache and 32 KB L1 data cache

- each module of four CPU cores has a 2 MB L2 cache resulting in a total of 4 MB of L2 cache

- each core has one fully independent hardware thread with no shared execution resources

- each hardware thread can issue two instructions per clock

GPU:

- custom D3D11.1 class 800-MHz graphics processor

- 12 shader cores providing a total of 768 threads

- each thread can perform one scalar multiplication and addition operation (MADD) per clock cycle

- at peak performance, the GPU can effectively issue 1.2 trillion floating-point operations per second

High-fidelity Natural User Interface (NUI) sensor is always present

Storage and Memory:

- 8 gigabyte (GB) of RAM DDR3 (68 GB/s)

- 32 MB of fast embedded SRAM (ESRAM) (102 GB/s)

- from the GPU?s perspective the bandwidths of system memory and ESRAM are parallel providing combined peak bandwidth of 170 GB/sec.

- Hard drive is always present

- 50 GB 6x Blu-ray Disc drive

Networking:

- Gigabit Ethernet

- Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Direct

Hardware Accelerators:

- Move engines

- Image, video, and audio codecs

- Kinect multichannel echo cancellation (MEC) hardware

- Cryptography engines for encryption and decryption, and hashing

durango_arq1.jpg

Source: http://www.vgleaks.c...rango-unveiled/

Next gen will be awesome. Only other thing I can comment on was how daft the arguments on here got over Blu Ray, pretty obvious MS would go with it.

Ooh Wifi Direct, I wonder why they specifically call it out? If they go x64, they also risk rampant hacking that plagued the first Xbox. :/ I guess subsidy will be lower and price higher at launch?

HDMI in?

TV box function?

Only other thing I can comment on was how daft the arguments on here got over Blu Ray, pretty obvious MS would go with it.

(Y)

i wouldn't be suprised if they figured out how to embed kinect into the console itself

Having Kinect built into the console itself would be a ****ing nightmare for lots of people.

There is a "Kinect In" on the diagram though, so not to worry :)

HDMI IN is probably going to be for a Google TV affair, you plug your Cable/Terrestrial box into the Durango then the Durango into the TV and have its OS as an overlay to supplement the TV input. Microsoft are aiming this console to be the media hub for your home.

Disappointed with the specs, I thought this generation was going to be very close, Microsoft is skimping on the GPU, 12CU compared to 18CU of Orbis.

• Like 2

HDMI in is seriously ticking my fancy

I wish it had a low powered mode for TV box function though

It might, there is no reason it can't underclock itself when not playing a game. The cpu and gpu both could do it.

It might, there is no reason it can't underclock itself when not playing a game. The cpu and gpu both could do it.

Not sure if AMD support it but 2 cores will be reserved for "always on" OS, they could disable 6 cores for "TV Mode".

Having Kinect built into the console itself would be a ****ing nightmare for lots of people.

Yeah building in Kinect would not work. I overlooked the Kinect in part thinking it would be for Kinect 1. It will be for the new Kinect though, my bad, HDMI in is probably for cable/digital TV stuff.

They can always "split" Kinect into two, sensors outside + separate and processing inside? 3GB memory for OS sounds like a lot for a console OS too.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there anyone else who thinks "Durango" is a terrible name for Xbox? :p

It's just a codename, like Orbis is for the next Playstation :)

• 2 weeks later...

3GB memory for OS sounds like a lot for a console OS too.

A console OS? I bet it runs Windows 8, minus the desktop... pretty much what Windows RT would be if there was a metro version of Office at launch. Actually, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to plug in a keyboard and mouse and use it as a full PC. And apps for Xbox would be those WinRT Blue apps that are designed to be Windows 8, RT, WP8.5, and Xbox compatible, or of course designed for just one of those platforms (in this case Xbox), but using WinRT and sold in the Xbox Store.

Not sure if AMD support it but 2 cores will be reserved for "always on" OS, they could disable 6 cores for "TV Mode".

I believe the processors have an ARM chip on die taking care of that bit. I could be wrong.