Photo

a [SOLVED] button

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Azusa

Azusa

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 January 2013 - 19:46

Is there any possibility of having a Solved button so that if i ask a question and i get an answer to fix it then the OP can click SOLVED

this would append [SOLVED] to the topic title and close the topic

what do you think?

well rather than have it close the topic there and then why not make it generate some sort of flag for mods to see and they'll decide weather the thread needs closing or not?

#17 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 21 January 2013 - 19:55

the reason for it is that if i ask a question for example

How do i install a font on Fedora?

if there is 5 threads asking this and one says SOLVED it lets the user know thats prob the best bet

Sometimes there is more than 1 solution to a tech problem and in your or any scenario, personally, I would go through all 5 threads and make a uniformed decision. The feature will mainly promote search engine hits, where someone may find an answer useful or not and along. You can say this is true even without a solved button but I think that sometimes promotes people to sign up and involve themselves in a discussion rather than glean over an answer, never to return again.

#18 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:08

yall get this and expertsexchange wont has a chance u get bettereys then thems do's.

u get all poinks

as the great professor Farnsworth once said. Did anyone else see that or did my brain just stroke out for a second.

#19 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:19

Sounds like a by-product of the high post count syndrome.

#20 +Medfordite

Medfordite

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC One M7 - Blue

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:14

Could always (if possible I guess it might be), allow the user to change the Title only so they could update it to [Solved] instead of closing the topic. All editing rights for topic etc, would still remain appropriate to membership level though.

#21 +hedleigh

hedleigh

Neowinian

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:39

as the great professor Farnsworth once said. Did anyone else see that or did my brain just stroke out for a second.

Yep, reread it 3 times, not sure what language it is but I'd love a pound of what Remixed is on! :D

#22 Coagulated

Coagulated

Neowinian

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:48

Could always (if possible I guess it might be), allow the user to change the Title only so they could update it to [Solved] instead of closing the topic. All editing rights for topic etc, would still remain appropriate to membership level though.

That does rely on the users to actually do that, which many won't bother/remember/come back to the thread after their question is answered.

Sometimes there is more than 1 solution to a tech problem and in your or any scenario, personally, I would go through all 5 threads and make a uniformed decision. The feature will mainly promote search engine hits, where someone may find an answer useful or not and along. You can say this is true even without a solved button but I think that sometimes promotes people to sign up and involve themselves in a discussion rather than glean over an answer, never to return again.

Have you ever worked full-time and looked after an incredibly popular forum? I know I've done it with a full time job on a forum that wasn't even a quarter as popular as this and you just don't have the time to do such manual grunt work.

I don't think the influx in people signing up would be really worth it, to be honest. You get traffic by having content, you keep that traffic by having great content.

Add '[SOLVED]' to the title and leave the thread open. Job done. Or leave it, it's not that big a deal - are there any other mods who have an opinion?

#23 OP Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 29 January 2013 - 15:50

another vote for solved/resolved button?

http://www.neowin.ne...#entry595487810