20 replies to this topic

#16 OP +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:03

Some other questions,
I take it I will have to set the proper memory speed manually (reading up on it - seems like the answer is 'yes')?
Now the i series CPUs have the intel graphics chip on them - and it gets turned off if a PCIe GPU is detected?
What would I expect the temp of the CPU to be (vanilla - as to check that I mounted everything OK)?

JJ is right, though. Any amount of overclocking you do, you want to keep your CPU as cool as possible.

EDIT: Answered as I was writing post

I'm confused Brando...You linked the 3570 if he wants to overclock but isn't it the 3570k with the unlocked multipliers for overclocking?

That confused me too.

Your BD drive doesn't have the ability to burn DVDs or CDs which could possibly be an issue. I very rarely do it, but if you're going to have the drive you should probably get one that can burn DVDs and CDs at least. $25 more gets you one that can burn BD, DVD, and CD.

Also, check if you live near a Microcenter. They have the 3570K for $40 less than Newegg and you also get $40 off a compatible motherboard. I believe most managers will match Newegg's prices, too. They have a 60 day return policy (that in my experience has been no questions asked) in case anything goes wrong.

You also don't have an OS listed. If you plan on using Windows don't forget to take that into consideration.

Noted.

I already have the OS - will be Win 8 x86_64 professional - legal.

There doesn't seem to be one in my state. =(

If your not planning on overclocking it by much, I'd stick the the stock cooler & your original choice of ram but my suggestion was based on you wanting something that'd be competitive and give your decent performance for a few years.

I think, I will skip on the HDD & BD (for the time - I have been living w/ external ones and a netbook problem free anyway) and will go with your suggestion.
The CPU & Motherboard are most difficult to upgrade and in as much getting good ones from the start will save me trouble. =)

Edited by _Alexander, 23 January 2013 - 05:15.

#17 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:48

Firstly that's a sweet looking build right there. You will be able to easily overclock that to 4.5GHz but not with the cooler in your spec there.

Of course you can. I've been using the Hyper 212+ to overclock my 2500k to similar clock speeds and very comfortably so, and I'm far from the only one doing it. It's diminutive price tag isn't representative of its performance, really.

#18 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:19

I would recommend an Antec HCG620M PSU, Antec uses solid caps in thier PSUs so you don't get dodgy chinese caps.

Also the modular ones are way nice for cable mgmt and air movement.

Excellent CPU cooler. I have the 212 EVO and it's HUGE but very nice. My temps never go above 55C in Skyrim on pretty much max settings.

Normal ops is 38C on the CPU (i5 3570K) and 25C for the GPU (EVGA GF650Ti SSC)

On the SSD:

Avoid Sandforce controllers. Those have lots of problems and are very unstable and have the shortest life span. TONS of people with less then 6 m.o. drives that died.

I recommend a Samsung 830 or 840 pro.

GPU:

Excellent choice. I got the EVGA 650Ti SSC and it's pretty nice.

#19 OP +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:05

Already bought. I may ask more questions though (as they come up).

Edited by _Alexander, 26 January 2013 - 06:13.

#20 OP +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:57

Got it working together today.

I am very much surprised by how much physical force was necessary to shove things where they belong.
I mean, for all intensive purposes the CPU is under the force of a thousand suns right now.

Some hard points were,
Figuring out how to plugin reset, power, and HDD led
Stuffing the GPU in there, the showing part and the moving all cords out of the way part.
The PSU cords are a pain they are not that bendable.
I don't know where to shove cords - for now they are dangerously close to the fans (The main mobo power plug and the noctua fans plug).

CPU, Memory, and Primary HD: 7.8
Graphics and Gaming Graphics are at 7.9
RAM is in single channel as otherwise I would have needed to remove that hell of earth of a cooler (when upgrading) - so I can improve some of those numbers in the long run.

This is a nice breath of air compared to my netbook's 2.3 for the CPU.
I mean I am transitioning from a primary of a netbook connected to an HDMI monitor to this.

Been running prime95 for half an hour (vanilla 100x38),
Min C / Max C
21 / 49
28 / 55
27 / 55
24 / 49
room tem is 74 farenheit - ~23.3 C says bing
Not sure why Core 1 and Core 2 are hotter than Core 0 and Core 4

W8x64 boots under 3sec

Edited by _Alexander, 02 February 2013 - 09:00.

#21 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:45

I mean, for all intensive purposes the CPU is under the force of a thousand suns right now.

Posted Image

... hem, anyway, back to the topic. For cords you can tie then together with tie-wraps or whatever you have, those that tend to be loose in the case I just tape them to a nearby side. People who do it properly route them through the back of the case so there are no cables at all hanging around, but it's not really necessary.