Photo

Shaving

shaving razor

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: Shaving

What's your shaving weapon of choice?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• 9,859 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 22 January 2013 - 13:42

I use Gillette Fusion and find it OK. I don't shave every day - I'm lucky enough that work don't really care if I turn up to work clean shaven or with a huge beard on my face so tend to shave once every week or so, to keep irritation of my skin to a minimum. But always find that the Gillette stuff gives me a good clean shave even if the blades are a total rip off.

#17 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 15,168 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 13:51

Electric to remove long hairs then manually.

#18 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 17,112 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 22 January 2013 - 13:54

I also shave my head, so double edge is just to scary for me. So I just use a regular Manual razor with replacement cartridges.

I also recently switched over to this Dollar Shave Club (referral link removed-you know this isn't allowed) as I heard it advertised on Howard Stern, I just got my razors a week ago, and they are very good quality, just as good as a Fusion or whatever it may be (that is what I used Prior, that and sometimes a Mach whatever it is by Gilette), but those fusion and Mach replacements are so damn expensive.

So for $6 a month, I get 4 cartridges mailed to my house, which means 1 a week, which is awesome, as I was definitely trying to make a blade last at least 2 weeks prior since they were so expensive
Now when I posted on Facebook, someone was good enough to share with me the fact that this Dollar Shave Club gets such awesome deals because they buy in huge ass amounts from this place.. Dorco If you buy a 4 pack of razors from them, it is $4 minus shipping, so it is not until you buy in large amounts you start seeing a good deal over Dollar Shave Club.

My one and only beef with Dollar Shave Club is their Razors are ever so slightly not as wide as a Gillete or Mach 10 or whatever it may be. If I had to guess, they are probably like a 1/4 of an inch not as wide. So this just means a couple of extra strokes with the razor, but does wind up meaning another minute or two for someone like me who shaves their head as well.

But seriously their razors are just as high as quality as any of the big boys, which I was very happy to find out, and they are so much less expensive. If you are going to stick to manual razors with replacement cartidges, I seriously cannot recommend them enough, even if you do not click on my referral link so I get a free month, anyone who uses this system of shaving owes it to themselves to at least try a month. No questions asked cancel at any time policy. You can even opt for a 2 month plan instead of a 1 month, as I imagine there are plenty of people who could make each razor easily last 2 weeks. Since I shave my head though, I like the idea of having a super sharp, super new razor once a week for just $6 a month (including shipping). I really am quite happy with it. Cheapest I found replacement cartridges for my Fusion was like $16 for 6 or something. Was always so expensive.

Edited by John S., 22 January 2013 - 15:32.

#19 OP ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

• 3,579 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 22 January 2013 - 13:57

Electric to remove long hairs then manually.

I used to use a long hair trimmer followed by a manual when I had a few days growth in the past however I since noticed the reason I hated shaving long stubble was the fact my razor was fudd. I changed to a higher end cartridge razor and no longer bother with the trimmer as I no longer find my razor tugs at hairs. I just hate paying the stupid pricing so will move to a DE razor. Hopefully I can do it without cutting my face to bits.

#20 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,699 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 22 January 2013 - 15:24

Electrical shaver all the way. I'm far too clumsy to trust myself to safely use sharp objects in the morning.

#21 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

• 2,766 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 15:27

I used to use a long hair trimmer followed by a manual when I had a few days growth in the past however I since noticed the reason I hated shaving long stubble was the fact my razor was fudd. I changed to a higher end cartridge razor and no longer bother with the trimmer as I no longer find my razor tugs at hairs. I just hate paying the stupid pricing so will move to a DE razor. Hopefully I can do it without cutting my face to bits.

You'll almost certainly get a few nicks your first time or two with a safety razor. But once you get the hang of it you should rarely get any. Honestly I got nicks more regularly with the multiblade razor. Probably the best strategy for a for a beginner is doing one pass in the direction of the hair growth. Also you only need a minimal amount of pressure.

#22 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• 2,628 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 22 January 2013 - 15:33

had a full beard now for about 7 years

razors have significantly increased in price since i last shaved lol

#23 OP ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

• 3,579 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 22 January 2013 - 15:34

You'll almost certainly get a few nicks your first time or two with a safety razor. But once you get the hang of it you should rarely get any. Honestly I got nicks more regularly with the multiblade razor. Probably the best strategy for a for a beginner is doing one pass in the direction of the hair growth. Also you only need a minimal amount of pressure.

Yeah I read that. Most people are recommending the Merkur 34C which you can use just the weight of the thing to perform a nice cut. Waiting for it to come in stock though :(

#24 mps69

mps69

Neowinian

• 827 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 15:46

Due to razor burns and the fact that I'm lazy git I only shave once a week, normally a Sunday morning, with a Gillette turbo mach 3, and Gillette gel.
When I do shave, I do it twice, first time with the grain, then against the grain end up as smooth as a silk, also done in a hot shower.
I do find the price of razors are getting slightly out of hand, and I've yet to find an electric razor which gives me really smooth close shave.

#25 Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

• 999 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 16:58

Yeah I read that. Most people are recommending the Merkur 34C which you can use just the weight of the thing to perform a nice cut. Waiting for it to come in stock though :(

yes they can be hard to get on because they seem to always get recommended, thats why i ended up getting the Edward Jagger D89 and it got a decent review. Site i used for information when starting was www.badgerandblade.com and also ShaveNation on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/geofatboy

i also think teh DE razors look nicer than the cartridge ones ^^
you will find a murker and the jagger reviews on there.

#26 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 17:13

I just use some cheap disposable razor and hot water. I like to punish my face for making me have to do this every other day :p

#27 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:52

I've used a Fusion 3 cartridge for years but my wife gave me a Hydro 5 for Christmas and I really like it.

#28 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

• 3,640 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:05

Merkur 11c here.

Better shave and less irritation for me compared to a disposable cartridge shaver like a Mach 3. Also way more economical. I enjoy shaving more now with the DE than I ever have with an electric or a disposable.

#29 CrashGordon

CrashGordon

The Perfect Threesome: Lime, Salt & Tequila

• 5,306 posts
  • Phone: Jackson JS3 Kelly Bird IV through a Fender Rumble 150. Can ya hear me now?

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:06

I get fairly good blade life from my Gillette Fusion (5 blade). Add the Fusion Hydro Gel and Fusion ProSeries Cooling Aftershave the face (and the wife) love it.

#30 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,995 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:11

I use a Gillette Fusion Proglide, Gillette razors seem to be the only kind that are good enough to cut through my insanely thick and coarse hairs.