Photo

Shaving

shaving razor

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: Shaving

What's your shaving weapon of choice?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• 6,746 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:55

Hell yeah!

I have just moved to DE shaving, it's great.

I used to shave with a soap and brush and cartridge. I got a fairly good deal on eBay for nearly two years worth of blades for about £50 which is okay.
But now I have an EJ shaver and using a mix of creams and blades at the moment until I find the one I want. The Taylor's of Old Bond St creams are lovely :D

Also check out http://theshavingroom.co.uk as those guys are great and will help you through everything you need to know.

#47 Arkangel

Arkangel

Neowinian

• 84 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:11

I love to DE shave and have become quite the fanatical when it comes to shaving and trialing new products.

The Edwin Jagger safety razor mentioned here is a great razor to get started on and will serve you well, it such a pleasure to use that you will continue using it well beyond your beginning phase but eventually you will buy an alternate or two, after all the money you save on overpriced cartridges you can spend on various other items that will better serve you.

Cella make a great shave soap and is widely regarded as one of the best if not the best, Astra blades are very popular at the price point and are very smooth and easy to work with however all this is variable and depends on the individual so I suggest you buy a sample blade pack and see which works best with you.
As time goes by you will refine your technique and process and eventually find your own path as it is very much an art form.

Enjoy your shaving experience and don't give up on it. ;)

#48 bole41

bole41

Resident One Post Wonder

• 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 13:01

I use Thiers Issard razor. Quite expensive but worth every penny..

#49 skinnyJM

skinnyJM

Royale with Cheese

• 161 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 820

Posted 14 April 2013 - 13:45

Shaving is one of the biggest beat downs EVER. Tried growing beard, but that requires maintenance also. It's a lose/lose. :crazy:

#50 compl3x

compl3x

Neowinian Senior

• 8,117 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:15

Changed my mind: I bought a double edge (Merkur #38C "Barber Pole") and I used Feather blades. Cheaper than carts and with some practice I can shave just as quickly as with disposable razors.

wvucqjV.jpg

#51 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

• 12,156 posts
  • Phone: I need a new one. Gibe moni plos

Posted 29 December 2013 - 14:08

A moment of silence for the souls this thread has resurrected.

#52 0nyX

0nyX

Posting from Apple //c

• 1,136 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 14:56

For every day its electric shave. If its a special occasion its Mach 3.

#53 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• 5,700 posts
  • Phone: Apple iPhone 4S

Posted 29 December 2013 - 15:01

On a day to day basic, electric for convenience. When I need to look smarter (formal events) I will wet shave with cartridge.

#54 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 29 December 2013 - 15:03

Well, even if this is a ridiculously old thread, I just switched to electric myself. I've always used disposables or cartridge type razors before, but I find that if I'm clean shaven, I look very young. But I can't grow a full beard because of my Indian blood, so I like just a little stubble instead.

#55 compl3x

compl3x

Neowinian Senior

• 8,117 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 15:09

There is no point making a whole new thread when one already exists.

"There is already a thread about this. Use the search function in the future!" - Sound familiar?

#56 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,300 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 15:15

I've used all sorts of razors, power ones, normal ones, ones with one, two, three, four and five blades, etc. 

The best ones I've found are actually from Asda, and they're really cheap compared to some of the main players. 

http://groceries.asd...ct/910000439937

Each razor lasts me about 2 months and they're quite a close shave too. 

#57 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,462 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 15:18

I shaved for the first time in years over the summer. My commitment to maintain a clean-shaven face was pretty clear when I just bought a 10 pack of disposable razors. I'm now back to having my manly beard, although I should probably invest in some trimmers soon. Much quicker and more even than using scissors.

#58 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 4,870 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 15:22

mach 3. shave every single day as my skin gets irritated easily by hair. looks like random hairs grow on an angle,and poke my skin. gets a little expensive :/

#59 compl3x

compl3x

Neowinian Senior

• 8,117 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 16:34

mach 3. shave every single day as my skin gets irritated easily by hair. looks like random hairs grow on an angle,and poke my skin. gets a little expensive :/

Ingrown hairs can be cause by multi-blade razors. I think it is called hysteresis. The first blade pulls and extends the hairs while the subsequent blades cut it. It gives a close shave but the remainder of the hair follicle is under the skin and as it grows can become ingrown.

#60 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,995 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 29 December 2013 - 16:45

I shave once or twice a week.  Cartridge.. don't have a specific brand.. usually Gillette mach series though.