Privacy visor blocks facial recognition software

A pair of glasses dubbed a "privacy visor" has been developed to thwart hidden cameras using facial-recognition software.

The prototype spectacles have been designed by scientists at Tokyo's National Institute of Informatics.

The glasses are equipped with a near-infrared light source, which confuses the software without affecting vision.

Law enforcers, shops and social networks are increasingly using facial-recognition software.

Prof Isao Echizen said: "As a result of developments in facial recognition technology in Google images, Facebook et cetera and the popularisation of portable terminals that append photos with photographic information [geotags]... essential measures for preventing the invasion of privacy caused by photographs taken in secret and unintentional capture in camera images is now required."

The near-infrared light "appends noise to photographed images without affecting human visibility," he said.

Prof Echizen said the glasses, which connect to a pocket power supply, would be reasonably priced, but there are some simpler alternatives.

Heavy make-up or a mask will also work, as will tilting your head at a 15-degree angle, which fools the software into thinking you do not have a face, :huh: according to an online guide produced by hacktivist group Anonymous.

more

post-37120-0-94557300-1358897085.jpg

I would think an alternative to this would be a nice pair of sunglasses as they shield your eyes? No images of what the picture looks like on the linked site to the recognition software so I am guessing it only obscures the eyes.

We have speed photo cameras as well as red light cameras around here and it has been said (I haven't tested this), that you can obscure your face when passing through those and they can't ticket you as they can't prove your identity. Been caught by one though and I will tell you - they are crystal clear even at night. Our Driver's license photos are stored in a database electronically and when renewing or getting a new one, you get a piece of paper with a b/w image of you on it with the actual barcoded license with the special watermarks etc in the mail about 2 weeks later. I guess they would have to link your 'mug shot' while going past those with the database pic for a positive ID.

With all that said - we, as a society have become complacent about the cameras all over the place in stores, banks, hospitals, streets, and anyhwere else in the name of surveillance. I personally don't care too much just as long as it isn't missued. :) (Think Neobond)

Look, I have developed my own solution too, that makes you look just as ridiculous!

It's much cheaper, too!

baghead-review-01.jpg

Glassed Silver:mac

Lol @ anyone who pays much money for this. I got 10 IR LEDs off ebay for something like ?1 last year, whack them in some chemistry safety glasses with some hot glue and wires and I've got my own - limited edition too.

Haha, can't wait until these start retailing at ?15 or something rediculous... Though I didn't know about the facial recognition in the manequins and stuff, pretty disturbing.