Photo

Windows Store won't launch, "license" issue?

win8

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 +Medfordite

Medfordite

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Axiom

Posted 23 January 2013 - 15:16

I don't have a Microsoft Account linked to the store or computer as well and I'm on 8 Home premium. I can grab all the free games/programs I want. I only need the account if I am going to purchase a piece of software. FWIW.

#17 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 23 January 2013 - 15:24

I don't have a "linked" account on my main computer and the Store works. If you do that, it just asks you to log in individually for each app that needs a login (Store included). But still, why do you think that's the problem? I brought up posts from others indicating that this is happening even if you do link fully.

Here is an quote from this site:

On any Windows 8 or Windows RT PC, sign in to the Store using your Microsoft account.

#18 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 23 January 2013 - 15:25

I don't have a "linked" account on my main computer and the Store works. If you do that, it just asks you to log in individually for each app that needs a login (Store included). But still, why do you think that's the problem? I brought up posts from others indicating that this is happening even if you do link fully.

Then do a reinstall? I dunno what else it is you want us to do. This is why I never do upgrades. Things go wrong. Does your computer even meet 8's requirements? What are its specs?

Windows 8 was built to primarily use the Live ID. Local accounts are still supported, but that's where you get issues like this that crop up.

#19 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 23

Posted 23 January 2013 - 15:41

The only thing that I have found so far to fix it is to create a new profile. Something is up with the profile and no one seems to know what is wrong. A format and reinstall will work too, but all that is doing is essentially creating a new profile (yes I know you are wiping it, yes I know that you are resetting everything to factory spec, however the issue is with the profile not the os).

#20 OP Lirodon

Lirodon

Neowinian

Posted 23 January 2013 - 18:40

Tried making a new account. It STILL does it.

#21 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 January 2013 - 18:52

Got a local account here and the store still works. I can't install anything but it works just fine. Whatever the problem is, it's not being caused by use of a local account.

Also, you can perform a clean install of Windows 8 with the key, just boot from the disk and install, and once your install is complete navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/

And change the value of "MediaBootInstall" from 1 to 0 (if it refuses to activate you may also have to do slmgr /rearm from a command prompt).

#22 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 23 January 2013 - 22:43

What's your screen resolution?

#23 Manarift

Manarift

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 24 January 2013 - 00:55

try this http://answers.micro...49-e702d0b207f4

#24 OP Lirodon

Lirodon

Neowinian

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:20

What's your screen resolution?

1366x768. Metro IE and PC Settings work just fine.

try this http://answers.micro...49-e702d0b207f4

I tried the troubleshooter, didn't work. I don't want to run the reset.

The fact that its possible for this to happen is also quite stupid. Though, at least my brother doesn't have to contend with the stupid full-screen photo viewer since it defaults to the Windows 7 photo viewer.

#25 cybertimber2008

cybertimber2008

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:28

Win+R and type "wsreset.exe" (no quotes)
Did that help any? Also, do you have IPv6 connectivity and all of the latest updates installed?

#26 OP Lirodon

Lirodon

Neowinian

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:50

Win+R and type "wsreset.exe" (no quotes)
Did that help any? Also, do you have IPv6 connectivity and all of the latest updates installed?

I tried using wsreset.exe, but it actually spit out the exact same error (in message box form)

IPV6 is enabled (we do use HomeGroup now, since everyone but my mom now uses 7 or 8. And I do believe HomeGroup requires it)

I have been running Windows Update, and everything is updated.

#27 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:17

Hello,

Just to check, have you treied uninstalling any third-party security software (firewall, anti-virus, anti-malware, HIPS, proxy and so forth) that filters network traffic and then accessing the Store? Be sure to download a copy of the latest version first, so you can reinstall it when you are finished testing.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#28 OP Lirodon

Lirodon

Neowinian

Posted 24 January 2013 - 13:51

Hello,

Just to check, have you treied uninstalling any third-party security software (firewall, anti-virus, anti-malware, HIPS, proxy and so forth) that filters network traffic and then accessing the Store? Be sure to download a copy of the latest version first, so you can reinstall it when you are finished testing.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I uninstalled Spybot before upgrading, and we only use Windows Defender.

#29 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:49

Hello,

Was SpyBot configured to block anything before it was uninstalled? If so, perhaps those blocks are still in place, and one of them conflicts with a host the Windows Store is accessing. You could try reinstalling, disabling all of the protection and then uninstalling it to see if that makes a difference.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#30 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 25 January 2013 - 19:59

Not specifically related, but has anyone else found themselves having to manually do a Licence Sync in the Store app as well? Had 4 apps the other day just stop working because the 'developer license' expired - annoying.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!