Photo

NZ to eradicate pet cats? Purr-ish the thought!

new zealand environmental advocate anti-feline campaign natural born killer

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#46 +hedleigh

hedleigh

Neowinian

• 518 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:09

Dogs kill birds too!!!! what a dumbass that he is

If you are referring to me, dogs can't get into the property, can't climb trees etc.
But you go on thinking that cats are special. I'll stick to trying to keep the native birds from becoming extinct.
Which is one thing that cats are not likely to suffer from.

#47 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:45

No not you... there are dogs bred/trained to kill birds and only birds.

I had a dog named Ginger that loved to climb trees. She would do that when she had to get a flea bath. Also I've had dogs that were Houdini about any kinda enclosures.

Birds are stupid .... they need to smarten up or die...

where do you think the phrase "bird brain" came from???!!!!

#48 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,569 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:51

ok, Keep Kestrels as pets :p
(A very effective bird hunter)

#49 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,587 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:27

good luck *******s getting to sleep with all the birds peepin and skwakin!!! and I hope you love rats in the kitchen and mice in your underwear!!!!!

and this cat is gonna eat that guy that wants that and then puke him out at the golden corral... right on the front door!!!!! in front of ALL the customers.

######?

I had a dog named Ginger that loved to climb trees. She would do that when she had to get a flea bath. Also I've had dogs that were Houdini about any kinda enclosures.

There are dogs trained to retrieve birds after they've been shot by hunters. Fox terriers and the like I think were bred for that purpose. They are trained to pick the birds un in their mouths and bring them back to the owners.

I don't know of any dogs with the necessary agility to climb a tree.

Errr... birds are an important part of the ecosystem. Their intelligence isn't in dispute.

#50 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:40

Birds are part of the food chain, that's thier purpose. TO BE EATEN BY PREDATORS!

Do you want all lizards and fish dead that eat precious flies?

#51 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 11,569 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:47

Birds are part of the food chain, that's thier purpose. TO BE EATEN BY PREDATORS!

But by that logic, no birds, no predators, everything in nature is part of the circle of life

#52 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• 4,259 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:07

This is about non-native species invading a habitat and threatening native species. It's not a difficult concept. It's fine if the predators are native, but non-native species can very quickly destroy an ecosystem. And cats are particularly bad... I can't tell you how many times our cats have drug in live and dead snakes, birds, and lizards. I'd let it go as long as they weren't driving a native species to extinction... otherwise, keep them inside.

Here in Louisiana we are trying very hard to kill off the invading nutria and fire ants. The nutria chew up the roots of plants and trees in the swamps, kill cypress trees, and accelerate coastal erosion. You can get paid money by the state to kill them. But nobody complains because they aren't particularly cute.

#53 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,934 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:11

You're calling the Crow dumb? The bird tha would outsmart any cat, and if threatened and they don't like your cat, they will not just attack it, they will gang up and attack it strategically with a whole flock, or murder as it where, and probably kill the cat.

Maybe we should read up on the important of biodiversity, and the fact that cats are an introduced species to NZ and do not provide the important bio environment role that the birds it's threatening do. So by allowing cats and letting the birds to, you're threatening the whole ecology and bio environment of NZ. Kinda like what happened when stupid humans removed wolfs from Yellowstone or whatever the faint US national park is. Took years to attempt to repair it by reintroducing wolfs, of course they're the wrong wolfs since the Yellowstone wolf is now extinct, somthey can never fully repair the damage done.

#54 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:24

Guess you all want mice in your undies and birds keepin yah awake all nite.... LOL

#55 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 11,569 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:26

Guess you all want mice in your undies and birds keepin yah awake all nite.... LOL

Not me, I Like Birds,
oh wait.............

#56 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,934 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:30

There are other animals you keep mice away, and I'm sure NZ has their own mice predators. Cats are not as effective mouse hunters as cat overs like to make out.

I don't have mice around my house out in nowhere, probably because there are two other predators around, foxes, and more important for the mice, another tiny to creature I don't know the fish name for, but it looks like a ferret, and they are most effective mice eradicators.

#57 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,587 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:42

#58 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:44

#59 ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

• 3,576 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:55

I rarely see a dead bird at all.

My cat eat's the remains... apart from the stomach sack.

#60 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

• 1,348 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 15:05

You're calling the Crow dumb? The bird tha would outsmart any cat, and if threatened and they don't like your cat, they will not just attack it, they will gang up and attack it strategically with a whole flock, or murder as it where, and probably kill the cat.

So true, Crows are very smart, one of the few animals that will use -tools- for a purpose, e.g: food that is out of reach.

There are other animals you keep mice away, and I'm sure NZ has their own mice predators. Cats are not as effective mouse hunters as cat overs like to make out.

I don't have mice around my house out in nowhere, probably because there are two other predators around, foxes, and more important for the mice, another tiny to creature I don't know the fish name for, but it looks like a ferret, and they are most effective mice eradicators.

Sadly, I believe mice are an invasive introduced species to NZ also, the reason those flightless birds exist there is because
there was little to no other threatening wildlife there so flying wasn't essential to survival.

But mice are something humans can take care of, no need of cats.