• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,155 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:05

as far as I know no cable based ISP's have a cap, I think there are rumors that some might have one that's like 250-500gb a month, but I still have never really heard of anyone getting extra fees for going over it. As far as cell providers that have caps, then yes, that does make more sense as congestion can be an issue, but not as much as they like to claim sometimes.

In Belgium the only cable ISP has caps. 100GB for the cheapest plan (30/2.5), between 150GB and 750GB for the second offering (60/4) and between 250GB and 1250GB for the fastest (120/5). Those caps for the upper two plans shift dynamically depending on what time of day and what days you use the internet.

#17 Secular Humanist

Secular Humanist

Neowinian Senior

• 3,798 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:06

No cap on mine. I download full 50gb Blu-ray rips instead of dvdrips because of it lol.

with 2 mill in the bank, why not just buy them?

#18 HSoft

HSoft

Neowinian Senior

• 3,930 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:06

But gains money in every quarter after that so is making money, or do you not understand simple economics?

profit + profit + profit + profit + profit - loss = giant profit

No need to attack the guy. He was just pointing out that in your original post it would appear that the company did infact lose money.
There was nothing in your original post saying the 78M loss was their first loss and every other quarter was a profit.

#19 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,307 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:13

No need to attack the guy. He was just pointing out that in your original post it would appear that the company did infact lose money.
There was nothing in your original post saying the 78M loss was their first loss and every other quarter was a profit.

In all honesty, to any company any quarter without a profit means a year at a loss, that's all it takes, that they made profits to cover that loss doesn't matter, there was a loss and therefore a "bad" year

#20 Aasum

Aasum

Neowinian

• 379 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:12

as far as I know no cable based ISP's have a cap, I think there are rumors that some might have one that's like 250-500gb a month, but I still have never really heard of anyone getting extra fees for going over it. As far as cell providers that have caps, then yes, that does make more sense as congestion can be an issue, but not as much as they like to claim sometimes.

Cox does but haven't been charged overages.

#21 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• 2,400 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:09

Really? It seems that the only people who didn't know data caps were bull**** were companies offering them.

Also, if we don't just look at cable internet pricing there are a fair bit of low end slow cheap internet connections to be had. See: DSL, which (around here where I am) can be had for like $20 or $25 a month for the lowest end. I think even cable offers something a long those lines as well though I don't remember.

#22 AnotherITguy

AnotherITguy

Neowinian

• 922 posts
  • Phone: Iphone 5C 16GB

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:11

Now if GOOGLE FIBER would spread like wildfire, there would be a real problem for isps

#23 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• 10,858 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 17:49

I've gotten multiple letters from comcast saying that i've gone over the 250gb cap, but they never charged or disconnected me

#24 I am Reid

I am Reid

Neowinian Senior

• 4,409 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:53

I've gotten multiple letters from comcast saying that i've gone over the 250gb cap, but they never charged or disconnected me

yea that's what I mean, they say they have one, but never enforce it.