39 posts in this topic

Just at a complete loss to how you think a conversion means loss of quality - comes down to how your converting it.. That dvd of your yours is just digital file on a optical media vs a digital file on a hdd or a ssd, or a br or a compact flash or whatever the next form of storage is.

You do understand that some of your BR are in h264 - br players must support 3 format h262 mpeg2, and h264 mpeg4 and smpte VC-1 and the producer of the br can use which ever one they want. If they go the mpeg4 avc or VC-1 route they can get about twice the run time on the same br single layer 25GB bd-rom.

I understand what your doing, I understand the recording to the dvd of your input, and even keeping this copy as backup. What I don't understand is the re burning to disk again.. When you could just use the digtial media file on larger storage and access it like a library vs having to swap in disks back and forth.

Your like the guy that didn't want to get away from floppy and go hard when hard could store so much more! ;) You have everything arranged in your stacks and stacks of floppies and could not understand that its much easier to just put all those files on 1 disk vs many and be able to access anything instant.

This is the point I have been trying to make the whole thread. Your file is digital on your DVD or on your BR, I am just suggesting that store then on one big disk vs a bunch of little ones. As to the container your mpeg be it 2 or 4 file is in -- how does that change the quality?? It DOESN'T unless you tell it to - if you want to continue to use mpeg 2 --- go for it. You just might want to put it in a different container - say mkv vs some container meant to be understood by standalone players.

The container can store the video or audio streams in whatever format or quality you desire. Now myself change over to mpeg4 vs mpeg2 because its a more efficient compression format. You do understand that mpeg2 is lossy compression as well.. mpeg4 is just more efficient at it than that older format.

If you loosing quality in converting the stream from mpeg2 to mpeg4 it in how your doing the conversion and what settings you pick for the new file. Sure if you pick a lower bitrate its quite possible to see loss of quality, not the process in general or the new format that is causing the loss in quality.

btw: I am a huge fan of the classics myself. I have few jack benny and burns and allen and some abbot and costello dvds I picked up on the bargin bin at walmart. Have then sitting here on my desk waiting to be ripped.. Because I sure an the hell am not going to go looking for these disks when I want to play them. Get up off my couch find the things, open up the container and then put them in some player then back to the couch, etc. When I can simply browse my library and click play on the file I want to watch ;)

And I have a growing collection of humphrey bogart films, some of which are not that good of quality because they were ripped from vhs copies that were recorded off tv. So yes I would be happy to pick them up in a remastered br if it was available, etc. But then I would rip it and put in my library for ease of access.

edit: Its been mentioned already I do believe but makemkv is one example of just changing the container. It pulls the mpeg2 stream and audio streams from your dvd and puts then in the mkv container. It doesn't alter the streams in anyway. Just puts them in a different container. If you think there is loss of quality in that process your not understanding the process.

1 person likes this

When rippers know what they're doing the quality loss is minimal. Nowadays things like episodes of the simpsons are being packed into MP4 files of less than 100MB yet they're superior quality to the old 170MB odd AVI files. Blu Rays are nice, but I the quality of the vast majority of HD rips to be perfectly fine.

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

This is all you need to do all of your steps and you can keep the file format the same. Not sure if it re-encodes though but virtual dub can do that for you if your really into it,

So to my point of keeping up with the current standards ;)

http://www.itu.int/n...es/2013/01.aspx

---

New video codec to ease pressure on global networks

Successor to award-winning standard to unleash new innovation

Geneva, 25 January 2013

1 person likes this

I'm at a complete loss on how you think there is no quality loss. Any type of digital to digital conversion results in quality loss. It may be an unnoticeable, faint quality loss, but it's there. Even when studios take a film and convert it to DVD (or Blu-ray, for that matter), there is quality loss during the conversion. They try to do things in the best way possible during the transfer process to minimize the quality loss as best as they can, but the quality loss is there.

If you want to talk about no quality loss on h264, then the film needs to be transferred from the original negatives, not from the DVD.

Here's what I'm trying to say...

A film transferred to h264 could look just as good as DVDs (mpeg 2). I'm not denying that.

But a film transferred to Film, then to Mpeg2 and transferred AGAIN to h264.... then h264 will look worse than the mpeg file. I'm not saying h264 is worse than Mpeg2. I'm saying the conversion from film to digital and then to digital AGAIN is what results in the quality loss. Heck, even taking an Mpeg 2 file and re-encoding it to Mpeg 2 results in quality loss, which is my main reason for starting this thread which has now gone insanely off-topic thanks to a certain troll that I will not mention by name.

Don't know if this will work or was suggested but free today only on the Giveawayoftheday.com site.

Boilsoft Video Joiner

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/video-joiner/

Since it is free, worth a try perhaps - nothing to lose if not (as long as you worked with a copy of your source files).

We are talking DVD quality here -- it LOOKS LIKE CRAP in the first place ;) And your worried about quality loss??? Your out of your mind :rolleyes:

Won't using high enough bitrate while using h264 result in no quality loss? :s

Apparently you guys don't care about quality loss, but I do. Even if it's just a little, I don't like it. That's one of the reasons why I'd rather buy a movie on Blu-ray and why I upgrade some of my DVD movies to Blu-ray. I want to watch my movies and shows in the best quality I can.

And my friend, if you're insisting that DVD is out and h264 is in, you're wrong. BLU-RAY is the new thing!! And as far as I'm concerned, all Blu-ray players play DVDs. So as long as Blu-ray players are around, then my DVDs are playable.

So, if you want to "get with the times," then ditch h254 and buy Blu-ray instead. :rolleyes:

You do know that Blu-ray actually uses h264 as video codec, right? It's just usually at a very high bitrate. If we're talking shady downloads you'll notice that, depending on where you get it, a movie can range from 700MB for a recode to 40GB for a direct copy of the Blu-ray. But both are h264. Just encode at high enough quality and you won't have any quality loss.

So if you want to "get with the times", just convert everything into h264. It's been the most important codec out there for a while and it will remain the most important codec for the next few years too. And then we'll switch to HEVC (h265).

We are talking DVD quality here -- it LOOKS LIKE CRAP in the first place ;) And your worried about quality loss??? Your out of your mind :rolleyes:

Sigh! You don't get it, don't you? Yes, DVD has quality loss. So, why push the quality loss even further by making another conversion??

I do find it funny how you tell me that I waste my time authoring DVDs, yet you have no problem telling me to waste my time converting my HUNDREDS of DVDs into h264. Do you realize how time consuming that will be? Why bother wasting the time converting my DVD collection when there are still plenty of DVDs in the market and will still be some available within the next several years?

You do know that Blu-ray actually uses h264 as video codec, right? It's just usually at a very high bitrate. If we're talking shady downloads you'll notice that, depending on where you get it, a movie can range from 700MB for a recode to 40GB for a direct copy of the Blu-ray. But both are h264. Just encode at high enough quality and you won't have any quality loss.

So if you want to "get with the times", just convert everything into h264. It's been the most important codec out there for a while and it will remain the most important codec for the next few years too. And then we'll switch to HEVC (h265).

Another sigh!! You also don't get it. Blu-ray is transferred directly from film. You guys are asking me to convert a DVD, which already has enough quality loss as it is, and further degrade the quality by making another conversion. Blu-ray movies are not ripped DVD movies. They are brand new transfers done directly from film.

Won't using high enough bitrate while using h264 result in no quality loss? :s

MINIMAL quality loss. Saying "no" quality loss is pushing it and is factually incorrect.

You guys must get commission on these media player sales. You guys are just too pushy. I'm simply asking for an Mpeg joiner software and this has turned into a "buy a media player" thread. What the hell??

Well, if you even had a minimal technical understanding of how MPEG2 (and most other video codecs) works you'd know that you can't just join two video files without either converting it or getting image errors. Not every frame is stored entirely, you have keyframes every X frames, all the other frames are differential. They only contain information about what changed with regards to the previous frame. Now if you just cut and paste video files together you'll start getting differentials for the wrong keyframes, causing horrible image errors. It is impossible to fix without at least minimal re-encoding because of limitations in MPEG2.

You should have a look at this guide: http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/x264EncodingGuide

Basically it means that if you convert using Handbrake with Constant Quality (instead of constant bitrate etc) and you put it high enough you will achieve lossless conversion. I don't know if you know lossless, but it means there will not be any quality loss at all. What you do with those files afterwards is your call, but converting them back to MPEG2 would indeed reduce the quality, especially since MPEG2 is just vastly inferior to h264.

And seriously, you think that if you record something from your TV to a DVD recorder the quality is so good you'll notice any difference? What input does your DVD recorder take, SCART? We are here trying to help you achieve something in the best possible way since you can't do it. When we explain why it doesn't work the way you want and we offer you pretty good alternatives you get rude and act as if we're idiots not understanding you. We do understand you, but if you refuse to at least look into the reasons why we're telling you what we're telling you then we can't really help you.

Well, if you even had a minimal technical understanding of how MPEG2 (and most other video codecs) works you'd know that you can't just join two video files without either converting it or getting image errors.

-snip-

When we explain why it doesn't work the way you want and we offer you pretty good alternatives you get rude and act as if we're idiots not understanding you. We do understand you, but if you refuse to at least look into the reasons why we're telling you what we're telling you then we can't really help you.

Actually, nobody here ever told me it was impossible. People gave me the impression that it was possible but that you guys refuse to help me because my method is too "old school."

Now you're making sense and I apologize for coming off rude.

I just want to share the good news that I finally bought a media player and so far, I'm liking it. However, I do find it a bit odd how people here criticize me for not having one, yet when I finally give in and ask a question about a particular media player on THIS thread, there are zero responses. Anyways, I decided to buy it anyway since the reviews at Amazon were positive overall. I only had the player for a day, but so far, I'm very happy with it. Now, I can watch my MP4 and DivX videos on my TV. I have a lot of digital videos that have remained unwatched because sitting in front of a desk watching on a computer is not something I prefer to do.