New Phone or Wait For MWC?

Hello,

So I gave my mom the Galaxy Nexus that I had and now I'm with a HTC Explorer here in New York. I was going to buy the Nexus 4 but it is perpetually out of stock.

The question is, what to do next?

1. Buy a phone now and if so, which one?

2. Wait till MWC and then buy a phone?

I'm looking to buy full price and off-contract and probably use it on T-Mobile's network.

Thanks,

Crazysah

I'm waiting till MWC to see what's on the horizon. I don't have an upgrade till October, but if I want to keep my unlimited data plan, I can't do an upgrade (aka buy the device subsidized), I'd have to buy the device outright anyways, so I might as well just do it after MWC, rather than waiting till October.

definitely wait till MWC since it's less than 1 month now.

Agreed, always a good idea to hang on for a bit and wait for MWC.

Phones at MWC wouldn't be on sale right away so you'll have to wait about 3 months if you want to buy some new models.

Well then... What do you suggest I do?

Well then... What do you suggest I do?

It's not completely true, there's a different between an announcement vs. availability. Phones can be available right away after they're announced at MWC, or there could be an announcement followed by a release date. If you want the latest and greatest (or a current gen. product to become cheaper after the new gen. comes out), then wait. If you can't wait, then buy now.

I can wait a month (need it by March 15th the latest!) but what exact phones should I be looking at?

MWC is at the end of February, so wait for MWC, then buy...What kind of phones/platforms are you looking at? Android, WP, BB or iOS?

The problem with the Lumia 920 is that I can't get it unlocked here in the USA. Otherwise I would have bought it by now.

@tsupersonic - I'm only looking at Android and WP8. Any phone from those will do as long as it has the latest software and performs well.

The problem with the Lumia 920 is that I can't get it unlocked here in the USA. Otherwise I would have bought it by now.

@tsupersonic - I'm only looking at Android and WP8. Any phone from those will do as long as it has the latest software and performs well.

You can get the unlocked Nokia Lumia 920 from Rogers Canada if you are willing to have it shipped.

Rogers Nokia Lumia 920 is also penta-band unlocked which means you'll be able to use it on T-Mobile's HSPA+.

you can unlock the AT&T model now using cellunlock.net http://www.cellunloc...lockattn920.htm

The big question is when do you need the phone? Do you need it now?

I can wait a month (need it by March 15th the latest!) but what exact phones should I be looking at?

Definitely buy a Nokia Lumia 920. Less than a hundred bucks on contract. It's purportedly getting replaced by some metallic or black slab, so if you like colors (like I do, i got the yellow one), you don't have to worry. Also, I prefer the OIS (

) than some higher megapixel count

The big question is when do you need the phone? Do you need it now?

I need it latest by March 15th.

Also, to all those suggesting the Lumia 920, isn't a better more powerful windows phone coming out alongside MWC?

Have to say I don't think the best phones are launched at mwc.

Galaxy S3, galaxy note 2, nexus phones, iPhones, all have their own events.

Galaxy S2 launched at MWC. The S4 is rumored to be announced at MWC, so let's see. Since MWC falls before his deadline, it's best to wait, even if 'best' phones aren't released there.

Galaxy S2 launched at MWC. The S4 is rumored to be announced at MWC, so let's see. Since MWC falls before his deadline, it's best to wait, even if 'best' phones aren't released there.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57567180-94/samsung-galaxy-s4-a-no-show-at-mobile-world-congress/

True though, if he can wait he may as well do.

Another poster here saying wait until MWC. You're going to get some new phones from Samsung using their own Exynos 5 Octa SOC, as well as other OEMs detailing their own phones with next generation SOCs (like Tegra 4) so it's definitely worth the wait. Anything you buy now will be guaranteed outdated in a couple of months.