• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#16 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• 8,835 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:28

Ha, didn't see this one coming from a mile away...no....not at all..

#17 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,691 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:40

I stopped reading at "The Register".

#18 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,939 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:40

I would rather them release Windows 8.5 - which dumps metro and has the desktop and is for desktop machines only.
Any windows device with touch can stick with Windows 8. That would be more... intelligent, something that Microsoft doesn't seem to have much of lately.

I'd rather see them play to the strengths of the desktop form factor by allowing Metro apps to be run in a window and to behave similar to any conventional desktop application. The desktop should be the primary user experience for desktop users, with the Start Screen only appearing when the user launches it (à la Start Menu). The Control Panel and PC Settings interfaces should be merged or duplicated in their entirety, as having to switch between the two is simply bad UX design. The Start Screen should have more customisation options, like the ability to freely scale the size (fully independent of resolution, which is important in the high-DPI era) and more flexibility with tile placement (like allowing columns that are three-small tiles wide).

I'd rather see Windows move forward than for Microsoft to just run back to what worked with Windows 7. Oh, and Microsoft should open up the Metro platform so that it's not a walled-garden, as requiring all Metro apps to go through the Windows Store is overly restrictive - Microsoft seems to be trying to copy iOS, as Android doesn't do that. Most of the negative press from developers stemmed from the Windows Store and it didn't take a genius to see the hostility coming. Windows 8 had some very good ideas but the ham-fisted implementation and greed with the Windows Store significantly soured the experience.

#19 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,691 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:44

I'd rather see them play to the strengths of the desktop form factor by allowing Metro apps to be run in a window and to behave similar to any conventional desktop application. The desktop should be the primary user experience for desktop users, with the Start Screen only appearing when the user launches it (à la Start Menu).

That's highly impractical. The desktop - the entire desktop - would have to be redesigned for use with touch.

#20 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 12,029 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:45

_Snip_

I'd rather see Windows move forward than for Microsoft to just run back to what worked with Windows 7.
~Snip~

I agree with you, although sometimes in order to move forward, you have to take a step back, (Not saying this is the right course here tho)

#21 Active.

Active.

• 2,774 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:50

That's highly impractical. The desktop - the entire desktop - would have to be redesigned for use with touch.

Microsoft could let developers include additional (non-touchable) views in their applications that are hooked up to the existing application model to be utilized when the app is put into windowed mode for use on the Desktop.

#22 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,939 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:52

Either that or you could have two separate interfaces. That's up to Microsoft to decide, but the implementation in Windows 8 is a mess (even though I still prefer it as an operating system to Windows 7).

#23 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,691 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:56

Either that or you could have two separate interfaces.

That sounds familiar. Oh, wait...

Posted Image

#24 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:57

Well... Oh SURPRISE! (Not)

#25 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,691 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:02

I'll just leave this here: http://www.neowin.ne...ng-market-share

#26 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 9,080 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:12

The only arguments for the sales are that it's gaining sales. Not nearly quick enough for anyone from nearly every article published on the subject now.

#27 AnotherITguy

AnotherITguy

Neowinian

• 980 posts
  • Phone: Iphone 5C 16GB

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:13

Well. lets see, WINDOWS 8 did the same thing that vista did, it changed computing in a radical way. The major problem is this, support support support, if it wasn't, why do you think Microsoft got into the hard ware business with the surface tablets, im expecting less and less oems to do windows 2 years from now.

#28 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

• 1,865 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:17

If I were MS I would heavily invest in modular computing. Come up with a way for everyone who wants a desktop to be able to built their own by plugging parts into a box, and this includes high-end gamers too. Make that easy to do for everyone without the need to fiddle about with heatsinks, properly installing motherboards and whatnot.

Get rid of the manufacturers because they build awful crap, particularly when it comes to pre-built desktops.

I know the article is about tablets mainly but still, OEMs are garbage in general.

#29 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,155 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:23

Not taking either side on this one however, it really drives me insane to see the front page of <insert any electronics store here>'s flyer with a ridiculous number of non-touch devices with Windows 8 on them. I don't believe any Windows 8 device should be touchless.

yeah, should've install W7 on that instead.

#30 Hydl

Hydl

Neowinian

• 12 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:25

I find this very skeptical, The Register has always bashed any and all Microsoft products. I wouldn't be surprised if this article was entirely made up or taken drastically out of context.