rumour windows 8 microsoft

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#76 +Tech Greek

Tech Greek

Neowinian

• 631 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 17:17

Having touch screens is a terrible idea on a computer that is used by everyday people! People will destroy them quickly and the parts are either very expensive or non-serviceable (see the Dell Latitude XT, the entire assembly has to be replaced if the screen stops working, cracks, whatever - expensive parts).

#77 airedwin

airedwin

Neowinian

• 196 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 17:33

Most of the peeps I know are looking for a new PC when the time is nigh and they don't pick "hero PCs", but PCs that will do what's required. PCs aren't looked at in the same way smartphones are looked at. Smartphone = features, has got the apps I need PC = has OS, is newer than current machine, doesn't cost a fortune = will do the trick; also: Windows anyways= runs my software Glassed Silver:mac

You're right, but Microsoft's point is a desktop isn't the only PC anymore. They wanted hero laptops, ultrabooks, tablets, etc etc.

#78 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,691 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:06

Having touch screens is a terrible idea on a computer that is used by everyday people! People will destroy them quickly and the parts are either very expensive or non-serviceable (see the Dell Latitude XT, the entire assembly has to be replaced if the screen stops working, cracks, whatever - expensive parts).

How often do you seen busted kiosks? I've never seen any. My school has a couple dozen or so throughout campus. The local mall even has a few, and I've never seen one that was broken.

#79 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

• 3,141 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:21

The same things were probably said of laptops years ago. "Oh no, we can't let "everyday people" have the ability to move their computers around!!!"

Funny, like any delicate piece of electronic equipment, people learned to handle them properly. Sure, if you're careless, you'll pay the price. Otherwise, not a big deal.

Have you seem some of the torture test the Surface has gone through? Hell, folks can get an OtterBox if they're that worried.

#80 Seketh

Seketh

Neowinian

• 316 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:27

Here's a fact: In my country, Portugal, a month after the Windows 8 launch, there were still no RT/8 tablets available for purchase.

So yeah, Microsoft is right in blaming manufacturers.

#81 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:30

Here's a fact: In my country, Portugal, a month after the Windows 8 launch, there were still no RT/8 tablets available for purchase.

So yeah, Microsoft is right in blaming manufacturers.

Interesting that the OS itself couldn't convince people, no?

I mean it was pretty cheap at the time of introduction...

Glassed Silver:mac

#82 Joshie

Joshie

Wandering NPC

• 4,892 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:33

Came to thread to confirm headline was a total troll.

Confirmed.

#83 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:40

How often do you seen busted kiosks? I've never seen any. My school has a couple dozen or so throughout campus. The local mall even has a few, and I've never seen one that was broken.

That's ok then, you have never seen any so they never break, case closed.

#84 Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

• 3,087 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:42

I think MS need to seriously question the people behind Win 8. Actually, I think the powers that be, need to seriously question themselves as they allowed this to happen, following the mess with Vista marketing. Windows 8 could have been a huge success, a Windows 7 with enhancements plus the touch UI if required... instead they tried to tell the educated consumer what they need.

I am so happy that they failed. I really like MS hardware and software but i think they need this wake up call.

#85 BigBoy

BigBoy

Neowinian

• 876 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:44

I certainly think OEMs underwhelmed. Still, there are very few "attractive" really "designed for W8" devices out there. Laptops, ultrabooks, etc. Even big OEMs like Lenovo and Asus are struggling to ship their stuff (anyone tried to buy a Lenovo X1 Carbon touch? How about an Asus Zenbook Prime Touch? I have...)

I certainly think the stores underwhelmed; as mentioned - you can still go to any computer store and see a series of old boxy 10 lb laptops anywhere, that just had W8 grafted onto them. They want to clear inventory and were hoping that putting W8 will do it, I guess?

I certainly think that MS messed stuff up too though: the whole confusion of W8 Pro vs. W8 RT did not help. The relatively short lead time that was there for people to even learn about W8 before the holiday season did not help.

There is plenty to blame on all sides, IMO.

#86 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:50

I think it's weak of MS to blame Manufacturers for the less than stellar acceptance of Windows 8. But then I blame the consumers for being sheep. I broke out of that herd mentaity and embranced Windows 8 and the Metro. The OS isn't fundementally changed at all. People convince themselves that it has. Sure there are some irritating differences, mostly just makes it harder to find stuff sometimes. But the common stuff I use isnt' all that difficult. Overall, Windows 8 is faster and better than Windows 7. Those who don't think so need to pull their heads out of their rear parts.

#87 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,691 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:51

That's ok then, you have never seen any so they never break, case closed.

Wasn't the point. Point is, they don't break as often as some here believe. If people are afraid of other's breaking everything, we would not have the society we do now. No ATMs, no self checkouts, etc, etc.

#88 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:53

I'm gonna have to agree with Microsoft on this one. Just look at Windows Phone 8. It would not have been successful if Nokia hadn't produced the quality Lumia 920.
If any OEM had produced hardware comparable to an iPad, it would have been successful as well.

Microsoft clearly had a plan for Windows 8 and the OEMs did not stick to it. Microsoft had the same plan for Windows Phone 8 (hero devices, featured devices, marketing, etc etc), Nokia and HTC stuck with it, and they have been succesful.

PC sales were already falling even with Windows 7, because of crap hardware. That is the point.

I always find it amusing when someone mentions the success of Windows Phone considering Microsoft hasn't gained any market share in almost a year, and even then it was just a brief 0.1% increase amid sinking before and since. Windows Phone is the opposite of successful.

#89 Active.

Active.

• 2,774 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:58

I blame the consumers for being sheep. I broke out of that herd mentaity and embranced Windows 8 and the Metro.

The things we tell ourselves... :rofl:

#90 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,854 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:59

It goes both ways but with MS's business model, they are still leading the charge so if OEM's weren't ready, thats on them too.

Ballmer has to go.