50mm f/1.8 vs Pavement

So last night I was teaching a mate to do some night photography, I accidentally left my backpack unzipped slightly and before I knew it... This was a thing.

lbKGodJ.jpg

Sad times :(

Plastic broke, not a scratch on the glass ? :)

And people are a paranoid about protecting the lens glass.

At least the 50 tend to be fairly cheap, at least if canon is anything like Nikon' and if not, you probably haven't insured, and if you have travel insurance either specially or included with any other insurance or card, they cover you as soon as you leave the door so.

Yeah. It was the cheap canon 50mm, front and rear elements are absolutely fine but I haven't used a lens cap in about 2-3 years now people go over the top when it comes to caps etc. My home insurance would cover it but it being a ?70-?80 lens and the insurance excess being ?200 not really worth it. Leaves me in a situation where my only lenses though are a 10-20mm wide angle and a 70-300mm telephoto.

sad man! Was the nifty fifty? even if it was $100 no one gives away!!!

On the other hand... you could try and rebuild it yourself and see what funky effects you can get out of it!

There's a guide somewhere (google) with a shower head and a 50mm (either canon or nikon) which you need to take a part and you've a DIY tilt shift lens.

http://gizmodo.com/5885270/how-to-make-your-own-tilt+shift-lens

http://www.creativepro.com/article/build-a-tilt-shift-camera-lens-peanuts

http://www.petapixel.com/2010/08/09/how-to-build-your-own-tilt-shift-lens-for-just-10/

So it might be salvageable !

Ouch sorry to see that happen... Guess you're in the market for a new one now?

Take a look at the Canon f/1.4 50mm USM and the Sigma f/1.4 50mm EX DG HSM. I own the Sigma version and its a super lens. The focus had some miscalibration on it originally but I RMA'd it straight to Sigma via LCE the week after I purchased it, and it came back a week later sharp as a tac. Its a bit of a beast though, at 77mm diameter.

• 2 weeks later...

sad but at least it is a cheap lens. :) I have one and I consider it as a disposable lens. :laugh:

Yeah, I did as well.

Update on this though... It's working again. Was playing around with the idea of using it as a tilt-shift (Thanks for the idea) and I must have lined something up right, it clicked back into place and works absolutely fine again... Yay for cheap plastic lenses!

• Like 2

I wouldn't keep using it :s i'm not familiar with canon lens, but do they have in focus motor life nikons SWM or are they controlled by the body as well? if controlled by the body, I would be weary as it might get stuck (since it broke) and cause the internal motor to fail, but then again this is IF lens =inbody focus.

• 1 month later...

No major loss, you can pick one up on amazon for 104 bucks or cheaper. I broke my 50mm f1.8 as well and ordered another one without a second thought because its cheap and its a decent lens for the money.

I wouldn't keep using it :s i'm not familiar with canon lens, but do they have in focus motor life nikons SWM or are they controlled by the body as well? if controlled by the body, I would be weary as it might get stuck (since it broke) and cause the internal motor to fail, but then again this is IF lens =inbody focus.

Its not controlled by the body, all Canon lenses that I know of are lens controlled.

• 2 weeks later...

What a great lens, no? I haven't had mine very long, but boy do I love it. It sucks having a cropped sensor camera, though, because I have to be so far from my subject!

What body do you have?

What a great lens, no? I haven't had mine very long, but boy do I love it. It sucks having a cropped sensor camera, though, because I have to be so far from my subject!

What body do you have?

Well some consider having a cropped body a benefit, i've seen "pro" photographers shoot with APS-C just to have a longer tele.

• 3 weeks later...

What body do you have?

Bit of a late reply but I rock around with a Canon 7D, The fact that it's cropped really doesn't bother me.