windows 8

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#16 cropcircles

cropcircles

Neowinian

• 1,455 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:06

Wow ! Amazing to me and unfortunate. Personally W8 is the first OS since 98 that I've decided to not upgrade to. Whether you like Windows 8 or not IMO MS dropped the ball when they presented W8 to the public. They should of pushed W8 as an OS that is more user friendly for touch screen tablets and devices, and not an upgrade from Windows 7. I don't think it was fair or honest on MS part. I think too many of us that are tech savvy with computers don't realize how difficult it is for the general public to understand how this upgrade to W8 can be for users. I'm still trying to convince my 70 year old relatives to upgrade from Windows XP to W7 but they are also still using MSN as the only way they think they can access the internet ! It drives me nuts.

#17 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

• 1,653 posts

for saying truth?

People paid to get XP when 7 was released. proves a lot of things, right?

In all fairness, it is much more understandable when people want to stick with Windows 7 vs Windows 8.

Windows XP -> Windows 7 did not change THAT much to a general user. However, Windows 8 DOES.

And if they use Windows XP/Vista/7 at work, you are expecting people to learn and keep using two different UI paradigms. Using XP and work and 7 at home did not have much of a problem since most of the basic functionality has been around since Windows 95.

Sticking with Windows 7 is much more accepting than sticking with Windows XP unless you had a program that would not work in XP Mode.

#18 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,763 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

for saying truth?

People paid to get XP when 7 was released. proves a lot of things, right?

Calling someone an idoit for their option is not cool.

Posted Image

#19 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

• 22,423 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:12

Sorry, but the price is totally nuts.

Glassed Silver:mac

I'm guessing the price includes an OEM version of Win7 which would make the price pretty reasonable

#20 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

• 1,343 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:13

Your an idiot then, sorry but its true. I am a computer tech and have installed win 8 on all my families computers now (girlfriend, her kids, my lad, my mum and dad and some friends), all I made sure of was that I gave them 10 minutes of my time just to keep reminding them of the corners - and that was it. They all love windows 8 now, especially being able to install any app they want from the store with no fear of it causing problems, it makes things very simple for them.

I bet you were the type of person who changed peoples windows xp start menu back to classic 'because of all the problems the new start menu created' hey? How many times have you setup a facebook page related to 'omg they changed it, we need 100,000 people for them to change it back'? Go on I bet you have ;)

Now you're just acting in opposite extreme fashion to the imagined one you thought he was.

He said he OFFERED, you don't know how he offered, maybe he offered to after they had tried Windows 8
and if they didnt like it he would put Windows 7 on, that's a pretty nice offer seeing as others seem to charge 125 dollars
To do the same thing.

Let me ask you, did you offer to install Windows 8 on all these computers you installed them on, or did you just force it on them?

PS: Get off your high and mighty horse there laddie.

#21 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:14

I can still get it for #39.00 but that is way too much money for an OS that I don't like and never will.

#22 ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

• 3,535 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:18

With a hard hitting Windows 8 bashing headline and a then Mac fanboy website as the source you should be writing articles for Neowin front page.

#23 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,399 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:18

I doubt most people (non-techies) would even notice if you upgraded them from 7 to 8, as long as you made sure to install Start8 and to disable the hot corners.

#24 +Heartripper

Heartripper

Neowinian

• 1,143 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:19

Things don’t work the way they have for the past 20 years.

They would if windows 8 was an apple product :)

#25 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,721 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:21

An optional service is not ripping people off... Windows licences and time cost money.

except that every Windows 8 OEM computer has downgrade rights meaning you don't have to spend a dime to downgrade

#26 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,009 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:22

Your an idiot then, sorry but its true.

I have "an idiot". I didn't know that, thank you for telling me. If you meant "You're an idiot", then that would be a complete false acusation. See, because I don't like windows 8, and would prefer to not deal with it, that doesn't make me an idiot. Thanks for your input though.

I am a computer tech and have installed win 8 on all my families computers now (girlfriend, her kids, my lad, my mum and dad and some friends), all I made sure of was that I gave them 10 minutes of my time just to keep reminding them of the corners - and that was it. They all love windows 8 now, especially being able to install any app they want from the store with no fear of it causing problems, it makes things very simple for them.

I guess the people I help are smart enough to download programs from websites and get exactly what they want without problem. No need to use some special store. Maybe you should teach them how to do that Mr. Computer Tech.

I bet you were the type of person who changed peoples windows xp start menu back to classic 'because of all the problems the new start menu created' hey? How many times have you setup a facebook page related to 'omg they changed it, we need 100,000 people for them to change it back'? Go on I bet you have ;)

1. I never did that, XP had a fine start menu, as did Vista/7. The start menu has evolved very nicely over time. That said, the start menu has evolved as a menu. The start screen is not a start menu, so it cannot be compared.

2. I don't use facebook, I couldn't tell you what it looks like right now, I couldn't tell you the changes that have happened.

Thank you for this enlighting discussion, in which you try to tell me who I am (or what I have?), but knowing absolutely nothign about me, you made no correct assumptions.

#27 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,721 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:23

I don't know if it's a ripoff, is this including a Windows 7 license? properly installing Windows/drivers and updates/etc
Does take a fair amount of time, sure a lot of it is hurry up and wait, the price tag is probably in line with them doing an
upgrade from Windows 7 to 8.

So if this includes the license, it's a super deal.

downgrading to windows 7 is free from an OEM computer with Windows 8. OEM computers have had downgrade rights since Vista

#28 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• 3,685 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:26

Sorry, but the price is totally nuts.

Glassed Silver:mac

$125 = £79.16

Windows 7 Home Premium is £69.99 so that leaves £10 for the time it takes install windows, drivers and any software + updates.

Not really a lot of profit in there to be honest...

#29 SiCKX

SiCKX

Cannibal

• 1,280 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:26

Many here miss the point: the fact that such service even exists clearly proves Windows 8 is not loved as much as it should.

#30 J_R_G

J_R_G

Neowinian

• 576 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:27

Many here miss the point: the fact that such service even exists clearly proves Windows 8 is not loved as much as it should.

It can be proof of that, or it can be proof of other things, like people with 1st world problems are multiplying...