Help me build a mini-ITX system

I would like to build something to play console emulators on my TV with HDMI output for convenience. I have built plenty of desktop systems, but i'm not privy on mini ITX hardware...like compatabilities, options..etc.

Idealy, i would love to beable to use 2 controllers, i think most emulators allow that, but not really sure as i never looked into this, but obviously the purpose for this is to have a multi console via emulation so i have everything i need in a box solution for 2 players.

Not sure what controller i'll end up using, perhaps my arcade stick, i'm not going for replicating the original experience of course.

So basically i need a board and to know what CPU/GPU/RAM i can use that should run most emulators with ease...mostly MAME, if it can run that i'll be happy, NES and Sega emulation should be easy compared to that.

I can find a case myself, but i'm looking for something "consolish" ya know, small and something that may feel nostalgic perhaps, i may even modify my Genesis or buy a broken console to house all the wares in...i'm decent with modding stuff.

I'll probably use my Velociraptor HD only because it's unused and should be large enough for my ROM collection. So basically i just need the main stuff that's capable of runnning MAME

thanks

H77 is slightly cheaper, but limited overclocking options. If you want the latter, a Z77 board will be what you want.

Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 w/Intel HD Graphics 4000

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116774

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

What about a PSU? For a build like this you don't have to go crazy and get a 1000W, but a good decent 400-500W from Seasonic/Antec/Corsair and the like should be fine. Don't skimp on this, seen too many that do and then come back to tell the horror story.

My laptop has a i3-2330M/HD3000 and 4Gb ram. It runs MAME and NEStron fine, not sure about using two controllers (only used one) but I don't see why it wouldn't/shouldn't work.

Also a important factor is your budget? What are you looking to spend MAX?

Isn't that a bit overkill? I mean my old Netbook i used to have back in 2008 could run emulators. I'm thinking 32 bit OS, 2 gb of ram and some mobile type CPU would likely work if an Atom based Netbook can run the emu's i'm wanting to run.

My PSP can run all the 16 bit era emulators, it really does not take much power to do so...i was thinking more of AMD mobile or something with built in GPU core.

PSU's usually come with cases, not sure about ITX ones as i havnt looked yet but 400 watts sounds insane for my purpose.

Buy one of these and mod it into a NES chassis:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157228

You'll obviously need some RAM and probably a SSD to go with it.

It would be a fun project that would definitely set you apart from everybody else.

There's lots of guides out there from people that have done the same sort of thing.

thanks for link, i'll look into it. I thought about the NES chasis but i always preferred the look of the Master System for some reason. I'll probably just use an ITX case if i find one that looks nice.

SSD won't be necessary, i won't need the fastest loading, i was thinking of RT7lite of a windows 7 down to bare bones and just use Steam big screen mode to boot with...then i simply link games on steam to run their respective emulator and add my own image to display on Steam. That will take time to do for each game...but i think it's better than just opening an emulator then loading the game cause the requires a mouse, my way i won't need to use a mouse or keyboard once it's all setup. So Steam boots, i select Mario World or whatever with the gamepad and have it set to open in Snes emulator and voila. Plus Steam works with gamepads however i'm not sure if it works with any gamepad...still have to research more.

thanks for link, i'll look into it. I thought about the NES chasis but i always preferred the look of the Master System for some reason. I'll probably just use an ITX case if i find one that looks nice.

SSD won't be necessary, i won't need the fastest loading, i was thinking of RT7lite of a windows 7 down to bare bones and just use Steam big screen mode to boot with...then i simply link games on steam to run their respective emulator and add my own image to display on Steam. That will take time to do for each game...but i think it's better than just opening an emulator then loading the game cause the requires a mouse, my way i won't need to use a mouse or keyboard once it's all setup. So Steam boots, i select Mario World or whatever with the gamepad and have it set to open in Snes emulator and voila. Plus Steam works with gamepads however i'm not sure if it works with any gamepad...still have to research more.

This is a nice ITX case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119261

I've used it before for a build, and it was really nice. Just make sure you get a modular power supply otherwise stuffing all the wires in there will be tough.