$1 million Raffle ticket was being used as a Christmas ornament

BOISE, Idaho ? Idaho Lottery officials say the Nampa man who held the winning $1 million Raffle ticket was using it as an ornament on the family Christmas tree.

Mark Rossiter came forward to claim his big prize in Boise today.

Rossiter purchased the ticket at the Maverik store in Star on Nov. 28, 2012, then took it home in its orange envelope and placed on the tree's branches.

The envelope containing the winning Raffle number of 108847 was worth $1 million after the Jan. 2, 2013 drawing. However, it stayed on the Christmas tree until the family took down their holiday decorations this past weekend.

"We were a little slow in taking down our decorations this year," explained Rossiter when he claimed the winning ticket at Idaho Lottery offices. "I pulled the ticket off the tree and went to check the number on the Internet just to be sure it wasn't a winner before we threw it away. When I did, holy moly, we had the $1,000,000 ticket."

This was the third consecutive year that a Maverik Store has sold the top prize in the Idaho $1,000,000 Raffle. Nearly one out of every ten tickets sold for the Raffle was bought at Maverik. For selling the winning ticket, Maverik receives a $20,000 bonus from the Idaho Lottery.

"The next time I play, I'm going to Maverik," said Rossiter. He and his family plan to pay down bills, set aside money for college, and invest the rest of the winnings.

source