Switch Off Language Bar Next To The Clock

When certain games are launched it causes the word ENG to be displayed next to the clock in the notification area. When clicking on it it allows me to select between the default UK keyboard layout and the US one however there is no reference to the US keyboard layout being configured at all in control panel so it's interesting that launching certain games (GTA IV, Counterstrike: GO) make this menu appear. Logging out and back in again removes this.

Has anyone else come across this and do they know how to switch it off?

post-252462-0-99911300-1359151063.png

post-252462-0-50067800-1359151074.png

post-252462-0-90825900-1359151081.png

Doesn't come up for me, but I think that would only come up when you have multiple keyboard languages installed.

Try clicking Language Preferences, Advanced Settings, then try unchecking "Use the desktop language bar when it's available" & click Save. Maybe you have that checkbox enabled, so it randomly pops up when Windows thinks you're switching keyboard languages?

Dunno why it happens when you're launching certain games, could be that the games are localised differently & trick Windows into showing the language bar whenever you launch them.

I have the same problem, and I've also noticed that it happens after launching GTA IV. I would love to find a way to permanently prevent it from happening.

The only way in which I've been able to turn off the language bar is to add the English (US) language, and then remove it.

Going to try the guide too, always happens to me after playing GTAIV also

Thanks for link Marshall

edit: just did it and I feel daft now. There is an option "Use the language bar when its available" and its checked. Why didnt I try advanced language settings before :laugh:

Going to try the guide too, always happens to me after playing GTAIV also

Thanks for link Marshall

edit: just did it and I feel daft now. There is an option "Use the language bar when its available" and its checked. Why didnt I try advanced language settings before :laugh:

I unchecked it but it didn't solve the issue before following the guide.

Mine stays regardless of what setting.

I can hide it by going to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Notification Area Icons\Turn System Icons On or Off" then switching Input Indicator to Off.

Lasts until next login.

• 2 months later...

I met similar problem. And I found it can be removed permanently as follows:

1- Check the box before "Control Panel - Language - Advanced settings - Use the desktop language bar when it's available";

2- Click the link below - "Change language bar hot keys", then select the "language bar" tab, choose "Hidden".

In this way, the input indicator in task bar is replaced by traditional language bar on desktop which can be set hidden or not as in former Windows.

• Like 1