Changing the IRC protocol association on Windows 8

Hello,

I would like to remove Google Chrome's association with the IRC protocol. If I open an IRC link from Run, such as irc://irc.neowin.net/neowin, Google Chrome opens. I would like mIRC to be associated with this protocol.

I've tried removing the association using Set Default Programs, but have had no success. It will only allow me to change it to a Windows 8 app.

N7TKEYP.png

The checkbox cannot be unchecked.

oxngnZb.png

I checked the association using a program called FileTypesMan, and it shows that the IRC protocol is associated with mIRC. It's being overridden by Chrome in some way. I've searched through Chrome's settings, but have found no way to remove the association.

WpNIz6X.png

Any help to fix this is appreciated.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was able to remove the IRC association from Google Chrome by making this simple registry change:

• Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\Google Chrome\Capabilities\URLAssociations\
  • Then delete the IRC line

That's it. I tested it on my Windows 8 machine and clicking on an IRC link in Chrome launches mIRC and prompts me to connect to the server. This is assuming you have the IRC links assosicated with mIRC.

Here... I made a simple registry file that will make the Chrome changes as well as associate IRC and XDCC links to mIRC:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\irc]
@="URL: IRC Protocol"
"URL Protocol"=""
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\irc\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\mIRC\\mirc.exe %1"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xdcc]
@="URL: XDCC Protocol"
"URL Protocol"=""
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xdcc\shell\open\command]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\Google Chrome\Capabilities\URLAssociations]
"irc"=-
[/CODE]

Hope this helps...

-Pete

• Like 3

I was able to remove the IRC association from Google Chrome by making this simple registry change:

• Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\Google Chrome\Capabilities\URLAssociations\

That's it. I tested it on my Windows 8 machine and clicking on an IRC link in Chrome launches mIRC and prompts me to connect to the server. This is assuming you have the IRC links assosicated with mIRC.

Here... I made a simple registry file that will make the Chrome changes as well as associate IRC and XDCC links to mIRC:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\irc]
"URL Protocol"=""
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xdcc]
"URL Protocol"=""
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\Google Chrome\Capabilities\URLAssociations]
"irc"=-
[/CODE]

Hope this helps...

-Pete

Hey thanks a million, literally saved me from reverting to 7 for now!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I just encountered the same issue and the registry entry, while conveniently adding XDCC protocol functionality, did not alter the IRC protocol from being handled by Chrome. I really don't understand why this could be and would really appreciate it if someone could take another look at this and offer a solution.

• 1 month later...

I registered just because of this issue.  I use the following method as quoted, as soon as it is removed, it works, but only a bandaid (temporary) fix.  As soon as you restart your Win 8, the IRC association in the regedit in the location as quoted below will come back haunting again.

Any other options?

Thanks.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\irc]
"URL Protocol"=""
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xdcc]
"URL Protocol"=""
"irc"=-
Hope this helps...

-Pete

• 6 months later...

I registered just because of this issue.  I use the following method as quoted, as soon as it is removed, it works, but only a bandaid (temporary) fix.  As soon as you restart your Win 8, the IRC association in the regedit in the location as quoted below will come back haunting again.

Any other options?

Thanks.

I'm having this same issue.  Registry works until I restart my computer.  Did you ever find a fix?