13 posts in this topic

Posted

[b]NEW YORK[/b]

Posted

And toxic canals are allowed [i]why [/i]exactly?
3 people like this

Posted

[quote name='theyarecomingforyou' timestamp='1359163944' post='595479992']
[/quote]They arent allowed, its a by product of decades of dumping which is now illegal.

Posted

Why didn't authorities save the dolphin? They knew the canal was toxic. If a human fell in there hopefully they'd be saved....hopefully

Posted

[quote name='KingCracker' timestamp='1359197335' post='595480664']They arent allowed, its a by product of decades of dumping which is now illegal.[/quote]

So why hasn't anything been done about it? If businesses are responsible then they should be fined to pay for the clean-up operation; if those businesses are no longer operating then the local or federal government should be responsible for cleaning it up. The article says the canal was made a Superfund site three years ago
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='theyarecomingforyou' timestamp='1359238299' post='595481766']

So why hasn't anything been done about it? If businesses are responsible then they should be fined to pay for the clean-up operation; if those businesses are no longer operating then the local or federal government should be responsible for cleaning it up. The article says the canal was made a Superfund site three years ago

Posted

Pretty disgusting they've let it get that bad.

Posted

So why hasn't anything been done about it?
[/quote]

The usual reason: money.

Too many poor people to spend money on to pay for other things.

There are people living on the edge of poverty, cracked roads and bridges, dangerous buildings, and many polluted land areas and waters in the USA.

Too many problems and too little money to pay for everything. Politicians are under pressure, to not raise taxes.

Sad this little fellow had to remind us, with his life. :(

Posted

[quote name='Hum' timestamp='1359243457' post='595481900']The usual reason: money.

Too many poor people to spend money on to pay for other things.[/quote]

But the bizarre thing is that the article mentions the canal is very near to some of Brooklyn's wealthiest neighbourhoods - you'd think that some of that wealth could be used to help clear up the area. You'd only need a temporary levy to pay for the clean-up and it would improve the environment for everyone in the area. Or you'd think some of the wealthy landowners could organise a fundraiser, maybe even get some corporate sponsors involved. There are plenty of ways to finance such an operation, both privately and publicly. And as mentioned, the government can force polluters to pay for the clean-up. It doesn't really matter who funds it - the point is there should be mechanisms in place to ensure that it [i]is[/i] cleaned-up.

Posted

^ Maybe now, hopefully, [i]someone[/i] will take up the cause. ;) Let's call it, Dolphin canal ...

Posted

[quote name='Hum' timestamp='1359243457' post='595481900']
Too many problems and too little money to pay for everything. Politicians are under pressure, to not raise taxes.
[/quote]
More like politicians are too busy raising their own salaries to pay for everything else.

Posted

Poor little dolphin.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='theyarecomingforyou' timestamp='1359163944' post='595479992']
[/quote]

Where else would scumbag companies dumb their toxic waste? There are only so many forests, and that'd be a bit of a drive.

So why hasn't anything been done about it? If businesses are responsible then they should be fined to pay for the clean-up operation; [b]if those businesses are no longer operating then the local or federal government should be responsible for cleaning it up.[/b] The article says the canal was made a Superfund site three years ago
1 person likes this